Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I was interested to spend some time driving the new Ferrari yesterday - at high speeds too.

Wow! What an amazing car. Fabulous sound, intelligent gearbox, superb handling and wonderful steering.

I drove away in my GT afterwards. I wouldn't swap - I loved the Ferrari, but it seemed like the GT + a computer + too many gears.

It was an interesting comparison though. If I couldn't have the GT, I would have a 458. In a heart-beat.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Nice! I'm jealous. Can't wait to see it in a spider.

How was the feedback through the car? Do all those computers isolate you from a "GT type" feel?

Is the interior large enough for big'ol Americans such as myself?

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I am 6'5 and sat in one comfortably. Didnt drive one but was quite spacious sitting for a few minutes

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I was interested to spend some time driving the new Ferrari yesterday - at high speeds too. Wow! What an amazing car. Fabulous sound, intelligent gearbox, superb handling and wonderful steering.

Neil,

Can I assume that you traded cars with the 458 owner for a drive? It's hard to find somebody who will toss the keys to a new 458 for a high speed drive!! How about a bit more extensive write up on your driving experience with the 458. AND, if you did trade rides, how did the F car owner like your GT?

Chip

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Nice! I'm jealous. Can't wait to see it in a spider.

How was the feedback through the car? Do all those computers isolate you from a "GT type" feel?

Is the interior large enough for big'ol Americans such as myself?

Feedback was excellent, you could tell what time of day the lines on the road were painted and what type of paint! It has to be one of the best sports cars in the world today - a fantastic drive.

A large interior with a wealth of information available to the driver and stunning gear changes.... A very intelligent box that adapts immediately to your driving style.

I drove it fast and reasonably aggressively for 40 minutes or so. I then hopped into my GT and did the same. What was quickly apparent was that the 458 felt no faster, it has more 'punch' and is not as linear. But we tend to drive in 2nd and 3rd in the GT when loitering behind traffic and getting ready to pounce - and boy, does the GT pounce!! The 458 has a massive bag of gears to juggle with and they all feel very short when compared with the GT's longer gearing. In real world driving the GT feels less stressful to drive at speed, less 'wild' in some respects. None of this is a criticism of the 458, far from it, it's quite beautiful and a fantastic car to drive. I seriously considered 'would I get out of my GT to own a 458?' and the answer is no. I prefer the GT for its muscular power, it feels like the daddy somehow.

The 458 is probably a better car in some respects. But it's not a Ford GT.

I then spent a while with the SLS. That was interesting too!

H

HHGT

Nice write up. Other than the Enzo, the 458 would be my second pick as far as an F car goes.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Nice write up. Other than the Enzo, the 458 would be my second pick as far as an F car goes.
I'd rather have a F40. I have a few friends that have the 458, they say the car is awesome, it's kind of like the Italian expensive version of the GTR, minus the AWD. Lots of electronic "nannies" that make even a mediocre driver competent. I was driving my GT last Saturday and was riding along side of one, we gave eachother the thumbs up. I like when others in Fcars can appreciate the GT without putting their nose up in the air because it doesn't have a "horsie" on it. The 458 is a major leap forwards from the 430.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
There will be at least one 458 at the Mojave Mile on April 9. Owner is bringing his TT GT and the 458 and plans to run both. Really cool guy. He has track time in the GT, the 458 and his GTR. His opinions would probably be very interesting, to say the least.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
There will be at least one 458 at the Mojave Mile on April 9. Owner is bringing his TT GT and the 458 and plans to run both. Really cool guy. He has track time in the GT, the 458 and his GTR. His opinions would probably be very interesting, to say the least.

That's great I have been waiting to see one in person!

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I know the F40 well, it's an iconic piece of kit..... However, the 458 would allow for daily driving (unlike the F40) and has long service intervals, chains not belts too!

L1002470.jpg

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
I have always enjoyed the times I have got the chance to drive a Ferrari. :thumbsup However I always realize that no matter how much fun I have I have no desire to maintain a Ferrari. :thumbsdow

Too many $$$ required per mile and I like to put on the miles. :wink Great write up. Thanks for sharing. I too can't wait to see one in person. :cheers

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I know the F40 well, it's an iconic piece of kit.....
L1002470.jpg

You've got an F40 as well?? :cool (insert "bow down" icon here)

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I have always enjoyed the times I have got the chance to drive a Ferrari. :thumbsup

Tom, I've said it lots, but your Satin GT is looking freaking BADASS!!! Sorry for the OT guys.

H

HHGT

Latest 458 offering with Enzo features....
2011 Ferrari 458 Italia Mansory Siracusa -

Not crazy about the colors, but love the car..Stunning...

http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/NewsCenter/NewsCenterDetails.aspx?mmysid=4017

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Tom, I've said it lots, but your Satin GT is looking freaking BADASS!!! Sorry for the OT guys.

Thanks Pro. It is hard to believe how you can do something that really changes the entire complexion/perception of the car. I thought a GT got attention before, but now it is surreal how much attention the car gets. Must be what it feels like to have a Heritage. :wink :biggrin

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008

http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/NewsCenter/NewsCenterDetails.aspx?mmysid=4017

Agree on the color......not sure about the louvers near the headlights either, but it does look aggressive. Would look better in silverstone.....or maybe red?? :wink

H

HHGT

Agree on the color......not sure about the louvers near the headlights either, but it does look aggressive. Would look better in silverstone.....or maybe red?? :wink

Matte Black would be my first choice...

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

Someone has to tell the Emperor he has no clothes. I will do it here.

That thing is Fugly.

H

HHGT

Someone has to tell the Emperor he has no clothes. I will do it here.

That thing is Fugly.
:tongue:slap Ohh Yaah .. I thing the GTR is Fuglier

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I love the new 458. We just got our second one in this morning. Here it is.....

http://www.eliteautosllc.com/vehicles.php/mode/view/id/383