4 post lift for a GT

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Your timing is good. As mentioned I had my second Rotary put in today. Here are some start to finish pics. It is hard for me to believe some folks put these in themselves. Also shown is other lift in attached garage. (sam model)

I had my Bendpak installed. The pro was I didn't need to do anything, the cons, on of the set screws worked loose later binding a pulley. I had a hell of a time getting it back in position.

IMO you need two strong men, or 3 average strength men to install the life. Those ramps are the heaviest pieces on my HD9.

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
GTdrummer,

What brand of garage door opener do you have?

6s219

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 30, 2010
Covina, CA
I too have a Bendpak model HD-9 which is wider than the regular HD. My GT and other cars fit with not problems. My garage ceiling is only 9'-4" and required that I use a Liftmaster Side Jack opener, and I had to modify the path of travel of the garage door. When it was all said and done the garage door is approx. 1" from the ceiling.

Attachments

• IMG_3402.jpg
    IMG_3402.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_3721.jpg
    IMG_3721.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_3726.jpg
    IMG_3726.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_3727.jpg
    IMG_3727.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 229

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
GTdrummer,

What brand of garage door opener do you have?

Looks like he has the same style I also installed. LiftMaster Elite 3800PLD and they are pretty slick.

http://www.liftmaster.com/consumerweb/products/pflResidentialJackshaft.htm

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Looks like he has the same style I also installed. LiftMaster Elite 3800PLD and they are pretty slick.

http://www.liftmaster.com/consumerweb/products/pflResidentialJackshaft.htm[/QUOTE

Correct and correct

NJF

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I have a Rotory that I installed in about 7-8 hours with one buddy.The next day we installed another one and it took 4 hours.

Great lift but must be very careful getting the GT on due to the width.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
IMO you need two strong men, or 3 average strength men to install the life. Those ramps are the heaviest pieces on my HD9.

I am installing my own Bendpak HD-9 as we speak. The bunk with the Hydraulic ram has to weigh well over 200 lbs and if you follow the recommended installation process, you put the bunks on with the crosstubes at the second from the highest setting. I am a decently strong guy and I am certain 2 of me could not get that particular bunk 5 1/2 feet up in the air on on to the tubes without risking damage to the system or one's self.

I have a 2,000 lb winch on a trolley to lift it up into place and it groaned like it does slinging a 750lb Big Block Ford over the Gunwale of a Cigarette on a trailer. Oh, it is heavily weighted on one end too so balance is also an issue.

I strongly recommend professionals who must have a lifting system of some sort or a group of 3-4 strong men who would not mind a missing finger or two should something go wrong. :facepalm:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I strongly recommend professionals who must have a lifting system of some sort or a group of 3-4 strong men who would not mind a missing finger or two should something go wrong. :facepalm:

I'm with you 100% on that!!!

A friend of mine and I put my lift together about 17 years ago...but, today...............? Uuuuuuuuuh - NO. 'Wouldn't happen.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I am doing it by myself but with the hoist. Still tricky with one end of the 180" long bunk disproportionately weighted on one end.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
...The bunk with the Hydraulic ram has to weigh well over 200 lbs and if you follow the recommended installation process, you put the bunks on with the crosstubes at the second from the highest setting...

That's what I talking about, need 2 strong guys, or 3 normal men to deal with that piece. The other stuff can be handled by 2 people. Only 2 guys installed mine, but they have experience and muscles from doing everyday.

DanielJ

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2010
Washington State
That's what I talking about, need 2 strong guys, or 3 normal men to deal with that piece. The other stuff can be handled by 2 people. Only 2 guys installed mine, but they have experience and muscles from doing everyday.

Or just use a back-hoe/loader....... A one person job.

2hdb9z9.jpg

2yzbt50.jpg

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
That is great Dan,

With the Bendpak, you need the cross tubes almost to the top when setting the bunks (probably due to Chinese origin). This is to facilitate the rigging of the lifting cables. As I said above, to do this without scarring up the lift or have two extremely strong guys on the hydraulic end of the bunk.......going to need help, like your tractor or my hoist.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I have owned four Rotary lifts; three US built and one Chinese. All professionally installed. Never a problem.

Attachments

• Garage 019 edited.jpg
    Garage 019 edited.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 186

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I too have a Bendpak model HD-9 which is wider than the regular HD. My GT and other cars fit with not problems. My garage ceiling is only 9'-4" and required that I use a Liftmaster Side Jack opener, and I had to modify the path of travel of the garage door. When it was all said and done the garage door is approx. 1" from the ceiling.
Best setup around - I have 2 and picked up 18" of clearance using them. I have only a bit under 6" of clearance now on the bottom with the GT on the top in a 10' high garage. Makes all the difference in the world getting in and out of the cars under the GT. Not to mention that they come with the solenoid track lock, making it quite hard for someone to break in to a garage.