4.0 whipple and blow by

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Has anybody noticed an excessive amount of oil from the PVC in the throttle body when using the 4.0? I just installed the single blade and noticed what I consider excessive oil. My concern is the higher risk of detonation. I know some have installed a catch can (which I will do) but I was just wondering if anyone else has seen this problem.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Just run it until it blows up.

Then you can TT it.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Hard to quantify the amount of oil, but IMO, even stock these cars have too much oil going into the intake. When I installed my Whipple with less than 2K on the odometer I was surprised and disappointed at the amount of oil in the inter-cooler/intake manifold. PCV systems are good for emissions not for optimum combustion. I have seen "too" much oil in many other stock engines as well.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
In an attempt to reduce the quantity of oil going through the intercooler I installed the oil trap recommended by Stormcat a couple of years ago. It captures oil but I have no way of knowing how much still get to the intercooler.

Howard

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
In an attempt to reduce the quantity of oil going through the intercooler I installed the oil trap recommended by Stormcat a couple of years ago. It captures oil but I have no way of knowing how much still get to the intercooler.

Howard

Could you post information on the oil trap you are speaking about? Do you have any pics?

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Why not just run the tube down and out? Maybe connect it to the exhaust and just burn it up. As BlackICE said PVCs are not good for anything except keeping government regulators employed.

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
Who cares as long as the car runs hard and doesnt blow up......

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Has anyone tried a venturi type crankcase ventilator, like this one?

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/52210/10002/-1

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
PVCs are not good for anything except keeping government regulators employed.

Don't they remove fuel and water vapor from the oil after the oil gets to temp? I sure count on that in my boat motors.

BTW, I believe the GT500 guys have been dealing with this for a while and have come up with several catch can designs.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Yep it's also helps relieve crank case pressure. I believe the excessive vacuum in the intake plenum greatly magnifies the issue on our cars (especially the ones creating extra boost). It's should be easy enough to create a system that dumps into the exhaust. My do some flow testing and get a design that will use the exhaust to pull the oil down and out. I have a few cool projects in the works.

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Mark,

Unfortunately it sounds like your car is toast...don't worry I will step up and take those nice little A-Arms off your hands so you don't have to worry about parting those out. Let me know if there is anything else you need off it before you send it to the scrap yard :)

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
They are so shiny and cool looking that I thought I would just wear them as jewelry. Bling baby.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
They are so shiny and cool looking that I thought I would just wear them as jewelry. Bling baby.

hahhhaaaaa

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Jeg's P/N 555-52205 Air Oil Separator Kit simply placed in-line to the S/C. Must be cleaned of accumulated oil periodically.

Howard

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I was thinking about using something like this.

http://www.namotorsports.net/detail.cfm/part_cd/DD42-CCU-012

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
Hey Mark can you post a picture of exactually where your going to install that?

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I am planing on putting it behind the rear wheels but I haven't totally mapped out a plan yet.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Lorenzo, look for one of StormCat's old posts on his version and installation.