$3 Million GT Collection(5) on Ebay, w. Sonic

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
I really think it is a marketing ploy.

Most anyone could and would do a serious marketing job or at least post great photos if they were serious of getting someones attention for a sale of 3 Mill and over.

Shelby you should call him up and offer your marketing services for a fee.

I agree it is a hype advert. I remember when Bill Smith did it for his Tucker and after time it worked....How much did the recent Tucker go for? 8 years ago they sold for 25K to 35K. A bunch of e-bay publicity when the movie came out and it was off to stardome.....

Now I am not suggesting someone registers them into a museum and can show a listing for 3 Mill as a declared value of the donation but who knows.........Maybe the Shadow knows....

Still makes me want a Sonic someday though:thumbsup

txviper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 31, 2007
What is the story on the sonic blue??

silver1331

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2008
Chicago, IL
Joe... I'm a pussy cat :)

Personally I think we will see these cars again being offered by the same seller.

I think the sonic is worth $300k

+1

i do think its coincidental these delivery mile cars come to market for the first time (as far as I know) when the market is absolute crap and dealers everywhere are suffering from lack of sales and floorplan financing. It is a hard time to be a dealer of any kind (ex Shelby...see his garage pics :biggrin) but dealers from Ford to Ferrari are suffering...F430s can be had at MSRP now!@! This dealer is likely a GT fan, and for that I'm supportive but he's been sitting on these cars for years and in this market cash is king.

I think the sonic car is worth just around BONYs estimate personally and I bet we will see these cars offered again soon in this market.

btw - shelby has a big garage bc he deserves it! good service + good cars = big garage! :banana

mousecatcher

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2007
San Mateo, CA
the collection isn't even 1 of every color.

why would someone even want 2 red ones?

i guess this is the seller's way to unload the rest of the cars along with the sonic blue.

ROWNER8

Dec 10, 2007
I agree with Tpraceman that it's a marketing ploy. nothing wrong with that but most dealer owners (principals) are pretty smart and those principals who bought GT;s have probably unloaded them at a good price for the profit. I have to think this could be a collection of friends cars especially with 2 red ones that are being sold as a lot. it also gets the attention and good PR for the dealer. the bidder is not obligated in anyway if he doesn't hit the sellers reserve price so a couple of bidders on an auction like this under the reserve price looks very good. the key here is to accurately price the rare cars and then the rest of the pricing falls into place. if they were all consecutive VINs then this story may have a different twist.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Joe... I'm a pussy cat :)

Personally I think we will see these cars again being offered by the same seller.

I think the sonic is worth $300k

Was originally sold (to a Ford dealer) at a charity benefit (Cattleman's Auction) for $350K I believe.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
What is the story on the sonic blue??

I'm glad someone asked as I have no idea either! :biggrin

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
The tale of the sonic is on the other thread started last week.

I should have merged the two threads...

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
These cars all belong to the dealer, including the redundant reds. I know, I've talked to him about them previously. He is a fan of the GT. He has turned down 500k for the blue car because I've offered it on someone else's behalf.

The sonic blue was built on the sly at Chris Theodore's request, but they would not let him keep it and it was sold at a Charity Auction. It's an interesting combo in person, as the blue looks almost purple in the right light. It's a standard Ford color. Camilo is not a fan of the color.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
The Sonic Blue was auctioned off at the Cattlebaron's Ball. Margaret and I were there and were ready to start the bidding at $170K (We did not yet have an order in for our Midnight Blue car and were not sure we could get one --I was still working at Ford at the time) .
Margaret had both of our bidding 'paddles' and was ready to go....Then Greg Smith (the Ford Master of Ceremonies of the event ) announced the open bidding for the Sonic Car and it OPENED AT $225K. -down went both of our 'paddles'!

AJB

silver1331

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2008
Chicago, IL
I emailed the dealer and he said he would sell the Sonic Blue car for $1m...i declined to lift that offer but more power to him if he thinks he can get it. He also said that it will likely be going to Barrett Jackson if he doesnt sell it before. I would bet he will put a high reserve on it though.

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I emailed the dealer and he said he would sell the Sonic Blue car for $1m...i declined to lift that offer but more power to him if he thinks he can get it. He also said that it will likely be going to Barrett Jackson if he doesnt sell it before. I would bet he will put a high reserve on it though.

Isn't Barrett Jackson (Scottsdale) a no reserve auction this year as well?

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
These cars all belong to the dealer, including the redundant reds. I know, I've talked to him about them previously. He is a fan of the GT. He has turned down 500k for the blue car because I've offered it on someone else's behalf.

The sonic blue was built on the sly at Chris Theodore's request, but they would not let him keep it and it was sold at a Charity Auction. It's an interesting combo in person, as the blue looks almost purple in the right light. It's a standard Ford color. Camilo is not a fan of the color.

Sonic Blue Rules. My sonic blue 03 cobra was purchased sight unseen. I just hoped that it was a decent color. I wanted red, but cobras were difficult to get June of 02. It is by far the best color Ford has produced. I wish sonic was a standard GT color. Mystichrome would have been interesting also as long as they kept the interior the same as all other GTs.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Isn't Barrett Jackson (Scottsdale) a no reserve auction this year as well?

B-J has gone back to the reserve format.

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
B-J has gone back to the reserve format.

I think that is a smart move on their part with the economy the way it is.

Pantera1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 12, 2008
Iowa

It's certainly a unique car but I can't see it selling for anything close to $1M even on Barrett Jackson........however if it did what a statement it would make on the value of FGT s!!! :thumbsup :banana :cheers

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
I like two reds. :cheers

:thumbsup