2020 improvement?

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
I wonder how the MKII development will impact the 2020 street cars.

FAQ for the MKII may provide some clues:

What makes Mk II the most track capable GT?
Ford and Multimatic have increased GT’s 3.5-litre EcoBoost engine to 700+ horsepower, while reducing weight and improving aerodynamics and chassis components to unleash the full potential of the GT platform, independent of global homologation rules for road cars and race series limitations.

How are you able to get more horsepower out of the same 3.5L EcoBoost engine in this application?
The Ford GT Mk II features oil gallery-cooled pistons, high flow charge air coolers and exhaust, and tuned calibration.

How fast is the car?
This is a track car with 400% more downforce than the road going Ford GT, which is what provides its impressive cornering speeds. Mk II is intended to be a track car with performance similar to GT3 race cars.
It is significantly faster than the road car but just shy of the race car’s pace, as it has more drag, it’s slightly heavier and the race car uses “confidential” tyres.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
The pistons are pretty neat. I got to check them out back in june. I believe all cars will be receiving those pistons now.

Reactions: spartan

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
It won’t.

Reactions: Ed Sims

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
Another clue?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Don't get excited. No, there is no weapons-grade road car Ford GT on the horizon.

2020 changes weren't because of MkII.

Reactions: Ed Sims

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
The pistons are pretty neat. I got to check them out back in june. I believe all cars will be receiving those pistons now.
Uh, the 05-06 5.4L engines had "oil cooled" pistons as well. No big deal where the oil comes from (oil-gallery) just the cooling provided to the lower side of the piston for cooling.
And I am told the intercoolers will be slightly larger in newer GT's, not that that is a big deal either.

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Uh, the 05-06 5.4L engines had "oil cooled" pistons as well. No big deal where the oil comes from (oil-gallery) just the cooling provided to the lower side of the piston for cooling.
And I am told the intercoolers will be slightly larger in newer GT's, not that that is a big deal either.

Yes the 05 has oil squirters. The new ford gt piston for the 2020 has a special chamber underneath the dome and above the wrist pin area that allows oil to travel through to cool the piston. Two completely different approaches.

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
I'm pretty sure the intercoolers are larger on the MKII.

1200px_Chassis.jpg

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Also water injection on the coolers