2020 Corvette thoughts?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
For the record, I love the C7. Hope to add one to my small collection someday.

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
I also hate the rear view so much I don't think I could own one. But..... that engine has so much potential, look out for following years. Electric front drive and twin turbo V8 and you have a world beater, just twin turbos will yield 720S beating hp. I sure would not count them out from a performance standpoint.
Imagine an E85 burner with 15-20 psi of boost! It is so cheap you could modify it and not worry about warranty. There are tons of parts available to "fix" it too. LS land speed record is something like 458 mph on methanol in a single engine streamliner, 2600 hp for 5 miles!

Reactions: digman1

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Its a lot of car for $60K.

Reactions: Empty Pockets

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
I agree the rear is the worst view. Skipping the Z51 stuff eliminates the rear spoiler. You can also choose to have the side boomerangs and other details body-color instead of black.
B14C5EFE-6670-4FCD-AFFD-C2725E639B72.jpeg

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
"This is Ford country, where on a quiet night you can hear a Chevy rusting".

LOL, I just couldn't help myself 😂

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
I like that song, but it never gets air time on the radio. I had to go to three Eagles concerts to hear it :)
You need to move to Binghamton, NY where the local classic rock station plays it every 4 hours, along with the other 25 same old songs they play everyday.

BTW I have a mint copy of that album, (YES it's a record) and it sounds way better than any CD of it. The bass drum sounds like it is a bass drum! Have we lost our sound or what?!?! That whole album is one of the great ones!

Reactions: Special K and Stef

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The back is gross, but the high wing makes it a little less gross.

70721640-57BC-487D-9E39-C4EDE30BD930.jpeg

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
The back is gross, but the high wing makes it a little less gross.

Well, not to this old man.

I agree with Centerpunch here, keeping the moldings body-color helps and to my eye that rear wing makes the butt end worse. Chevrolet cleaned up the front end of the Camaro last year after a big sales killing miss and I bet they do the same for the Corvette rear end in a year or two.

Chip

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
You need to move to Binghamton, NY where the local classic rock station plays it every 4 hours, along with the other 25 same old songs they play everyday.

BTW I have a mint copy of that album, (YES it's a record) and it sounds way better than any CD of it. The bass drum sounds like it is a bass drum! Have we lost our sound or what?!?! That whole album is one of the great ones!

Not to hijack the topic more but our local oldies station plays Queen every day between 3:00-3:30. Usually Bohemian Rhapsody but sometimes We Will Rock You and sometimes one of the others. There might be a weekly pattern that I haven't figured out yet.

Our friends that we've known since the 80's that moved to Vegas before we did moved here from Binghamton. Neither of us miss the cold :)

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
Not to hijack the topic more but our local oldies station plays Queen every day between 3:00-3:30. Usually Bohemian Rhapsody but sometimes We Will Rock You and sometimes one of the others. There might be a weekly pattern that I haven't figured out yet.

Our friends that we've known since the 80's that moved to Vegas before we did moved here from Binghamton. Neither of us miss the cold :)

LOL, We won't be missing it long either, we are moving to Knoxville, TN. You are right the weather climate is bad, and they will salt if we get 1/2 inch of snow. (Not to mention the "other" climate has gotten very bad).

GTinTN

GT Owner
Jan 17, 2019
Brentwood, TN
It does appear to be good value for the money, but 5" taller than the 2005/6 Ford GT? The proportions are just not as pleasing to my eye. While the small trunk does add convenience, it ruins the showcasing of the engine - reminds me of the old Pontiac Fiero.

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
The 05-06 FGT is unusually short. The C8 height is actually about the same as the NSX, 458, 488, etc.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...While the small trunk does add convenience, it ruins the showcasing of the engine...

I'd trade showcasing the engine for a bit of trunk space any day! (y)

Reactions: centerpunch

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
need to see one and get in one before making my final decision....

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Belly buttons & Vette's
Everyone has one.

Reactions: roketman

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Saw the car in person yesterday. Can't say I liked it. One was sitting in the lot with a C7 in eyesight and I didn't think that did it any favors. Front and profile are generic and I'm still completely befuddled by the rear. It could easily be a Camaro. Proportions in general just look off to me. I also thought the interior looked real weird from the passenger side with that monster divider. It's going to be very sensitive to how you spec it out.

Someone I was talking to at the show summed it up perfectly - they couldn't put the pencil down. Too many cooks in the kitchen trying to satisfy too many criteria for too long.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
yes , after seeing it in person yesterday also … and seeing it drive down and back in front of the podium and grand stands , I takes on a different look from every angle. Everyone had their opinion so I won't expound here....BUT....

Since my 2017 Ford GT was on display at the Brembo Supercar exhibit just 50 yards away , I asked the Corvette team yesterday morning if they wanted me to move my 2017 Ford GT next to one of the new C8 Corvettes to do a photo shoot comparison...even just for a brief session.... quick answer .. as I expected..... NO.
andy (ajb)

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
You can already buy a 2016 Corvette for $35,000. Go into C6 era and you can get a ZR1 for $20K.

You are thinking of a C4 ZR-1. C6 ZR1's are still in the $50k+ range, unless maybe you find one with 100k on the clock.

I've had 10+ Corvettes from a pristine '85 to a C6Z06 race car to a 2019 ZR1, and aside from the rear styling, I'm all in on this one. I really like the interior layout, and it has a heads up display that is still noticeably absent from nearly all supercars. Can't wait to get my hands on an early one with the Z51 suspension with magnetic ride.

Reactions: digman1

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
I asked "How long is GM going to stick with these heavy obsolete push-rod, two-valve engines?" No answer.

Chip, the heaviest, largest motor ever installed in a Vette over the past 30 years was, not coincidentally, the only DOHC motor ever installed in the Vette, the 1990-95 LT5.

The pushrod motor is neither heavy nor obsolete compared to its OHC rivals,but rather it is lighter and far more physically compact. Modern combustion chamber design has allowed the LS/LT series GM V8s to achieve better real world fuel economy than most rivals (EcoBoost, I'm looking at you) thanks to excellent mid range torque where a street car spends most of its time. The only theoretical downside is an inability to rev.....yet there have been production versions (LS7) with Ti valves and rods that pull strongly to 7000 rpm bone stock, which is exactly what our new GTs redline at, fancy DOHC heads and all.

Reactions: jrz and THamonGT

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
There is much to like about the SBC.