2020 Corvette thoughts?

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
The 60K will be a stripped model options will jack it 15 to 20 K at least. My 14 C7 had 15K in options and that was 5 years ago.

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
Although I don't love the rear styling or the Captain Kirk interior, and will miss a clutch pedal, the C8 is an astounding car, both in performance and usability. And I don't see how you can call it overweight, since it weighs about the same as the 05-06 FGT.

I've been considering buying another GT on and off for several years- there's a no-stripe silver one in Florida that's particularly tempting. But I really want a car suitable for 2-person road trips, so keep coming back to the, uhh, minimal luggage space as a pretty-much unsolvable problem. And I must admit, the history-inspired goofy doors are another negative for me.

Although I love having a gorgeous car or two or three in my normal-size garage while our daily drivers sit out in the weather, I'm not a “collector,” and really have no desire to use a garage space to house a very-cool car that doesn't get driven.

I've considered a 360, 430, R8, or Gallardo, but worry about the maintenance cost and reliability of those cars. Front-engine Corvettes are of no interest to me.

But this new C8 is. Although it certainly won't have the cachet of an exotic after a few thousand hit the streets, it's got great performance at a great price. With tons of luggage space, and even a door-ding resistant body I can park at the grocery store.

I've retired from track events, so will probably skip the Z51 package that adds the fugly rear spoiler. And 0-to-60 in 3 seconds is plenty fast for me, so I don't need to wait for a faster Z06 or ZL1 or whatever.

For the price of a 300 horsepower Cayman or mid-priced SUV, and literally a fraction of the price of a 911, McLaren, Ferrari, etc., I don't see what there is to complain about.
F11F40A3-AC04-41A7-9049-D3D58BA23E3E.jpeg

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
The kit car manufacturers must be salivating over the prospect that in a few years you’ll be able to pull cheap engine/transaxle units. I predict a ton of kits based on the C8. Think what an awesome track rat you could build based on the guts of these cars.
thats the first thing that came to my mind... I wouldnt mind that transaxle for my Ulitma it would make it a lot more fun on the track

Tiago

GT Owner
Apr 9, 2019
Houston, TX
I look forward to one of these as a daily driver in a couple of years after they sort out all of the 1st model year glitches...

Reactions: soroush

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
For the price of a 300 horsepower Cayman or mid-priced SUV, and literally a fraction of the price of a 911, McLaren, Ferrari, etc., I don't see what there is to complain about.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do, life's been good to me so far.

Chip

......well actually, Joe Walsh

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I am interested in seeing it in person with various color schemes. I love my C7 ZO6, so I am waiting for the more “beefy” versions before considering. Great bang for the buck.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...I am waiting for the more “beefy” versions before considering. Great bang for the buck.

+1

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
I think it is interesting that we have come to assume that mid-engine cars are for some reason inherently much more expensive to make than front engine cars, so we are asking “what did they leave out to get the price so low?”

But if you think about the bill-of-materials for a C8 versus a C7 Corvette, the lists would be very similar. For example, the installed location of the engine shouldn't significantly affect its cost.

The cooling system is more complex, but that's really about it. And how much more can 3 smaller radiators and some plumbing cost than a single big radiator? Not much.

Clearly, Chevy spent a lot of time and money developing the car, but they plan to amortize that not over 1000 or 2000 or 10000 cars, but over several hundred thousand cars. A billion dollar investment for 200,000 cars is only $5k per car.

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
I like it.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
It's also interesting that the car's dimensions are virtually identical to the 05-06 FGT (except the height- 5” taller).

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
Again, thought? I guess I do have a few.

Like the Camaro, the more you look at the Corvette, the uglier it gets. I am sure many old men (70 plus) got their orders in. I just cannot do a GM product. On the bright side, yes its cheap, and in 3 years it will be cheaper. Don't be that bald old man! (myself included), I may be bald but not that old. LOL

I love my Ford GT!

Reactions: Stef

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I didnt like it at first but after a little time passed its groan on me. I liked the split window and then the body style didnt appeal to me until the c7 stingray. the c8 isn't as bad as some of the other boxes.

Like many though I got burned out on gm products in the 70s and haven't tried o e since. ford cars and dodge truck for me.

Reactions: Stef

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I have seen this before, oh yeah on one few F-cars I don't like.IMG_0921.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Twobjshelbys, Groan on me? Is that a Freudian slip or did you mean grown? LOL

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Twobjshelbys, Groan on me? Is that a Freudian slip or did you mean grown? LOL

Ha!!! Yeah, it's a freudian slip. Should be "grown" as you said, but the cell phone spill chicken did make it at least an interesting pun !

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I have seen this before, oh yeah on one few F-cars I don't like.

View attachment 56563

Funny, that's one of the F cars I do like. Simple uncluttered styling, No funky black moldings added for dramatic effect.

Chip

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California

Chip

Speaking of Joe Walsh,

Just an ordinary average guy...
Ordinary average guy...
Had Ford Motor Company...
drop off a new GT
in my own front yard...
Just an ordinary average guy...

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

Chip

I like that song, but it never gets air time on the radio. I had to go to three Eagles concerts to hear it :)

Reactions: Special K

digman1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2007
Dallas Texas
I am a person who likes high performance cars in general, and not married to any one brand. My musclecars tended to be more GM - W-30's, Stage 1's, and LS6's, but now own a Boss 302. After getting to drive a Ferrari at age 17, I always wanted one, and bought a '95 355 Spider. Great F1 sound and plenty of pep. Moved from that to 2013 California, which is gone now as well. I have had the '05 Ford GT most of that time as well. Also threw a Dodge Hellcat in the mix for a while.

All this to say I am surprised at all the haterade for the C8 Vette. Like Ford, I am just proud of a US manufacturer putting out these amazing supercars. Each to his own on style, but you have to give them credit for putting it out in the $65-100k price range, versus starting at $80-90k where I thought it would be.

I will be ordering a new C8.