• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
How many miles on your GT(s)?

This poll is public and multiple choice is permitted for multiple cars. Although, I don't know how to deal with more than one car in the same mileage range.

Post a comment listing any parts repairs or replacements (and approximate mileage/age) resulting from failure or wear beyond tolerance.

Include appearance issues whether or not the part was replaced (e.g., steering wheel center cap oxidized/corroded so I put an Ed Sims sticker on it).

Don't included items replaced simply to preserve original parts (e.g., installed Speedhut gauge panel even though all OEM gauges worked) or to upgrade performance if the original part did not fail (e.g., installed Spec clutch for 850 hp even though the OEM did not slip).

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Just rolled over 25K. It was a 3K car when I bought it in June 2012.

Steering wheel center cap and coil covers were corroded, and some paint bubbling on center console when I got the car at 3K miles and six years old. Ed Sims stickers on the cap. Bought new coil covers that are holding up after four years.

Speed sensor in transaxle failed at about 15K miles. About $20 and 5 minutes to replace.

Dash leather lifting around the vents at about 20k miles and eight years. Re-glue failed. Put a dash topper on it.

Paint bubbling on trunk lid at about 22K miles and nine years.

Replaced windshield at 22K miles. Stress crack developed at the base and spread upward. Also had stone chips from Ed Sims' Hoosiers. lol.

Oil pump shaft seal failed at about 20K miles. Replaced the pump. $2,300 parts and about four hours labor. Replacement pump is leaking.

Last edited:

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Mileage same as Gary's: 25K. Nothing serious has gone wrong with my car......except the clutch blew 1000 miles ago at an autocross when I went from red line in second gear (yes, over 90mph!) to full ABS braking as fast as my foot could travel. I believe the immediate torque reversal did the clutch in. Oh, yes, my gas vapor purge valve failed at about 10,000 miles. The GT Guys say they have never seen another similar failure. And an LED failed on the fog light switch, since replaced. Corroded surface of coil covers and throttle body replaced with Ford Racing and Accufab, respectively. I think that's it. Couldn't be happier.

Howard

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
38K on mine, recently replaced all gauges with Speedhut because original temp gauge failed about 28Kmi, so I wanted to keep the rest intact. Other than that, I just do the regular maintenance, no parts failures. I had the transaxle stub shaft bolts replaced to avoid future failure. Like most, the coil covers have corroded, floor mats are oozing, etc. Pretty reliable and low maintenance so far.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I've got 28k. Only things that have broken were axle bolts. Burned a clutch, but that was from no lift shifting. Otherwise, replaced windshield from pitting and headlamps from cracks developed presumably from keeping the running lights on. Can't recall anything else, which is pretty remarkable.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
25K. Started with 1,200 in '08. Have changed the clutch, had the steering wheel cap fix, clam vents replaced due to cracks, valve cover bolts due to corrosion.
Other mods and R&Rs were optional or regular maintenance.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
11K, got it 3 years ago with 3K. Had it inspected by GT Guys prior to purchase. All 4 shocks were leaking, power steering pump leaking and A/C compressor leaking. Used it that way for the summer, shipped it to Rich and Denis, had all new parts put in, as well as trunk struts. The sill plates had been scuffed, had new ones installed and "wrapped". Pulled the gages, and had speedhuts installed to keep all working OEM's and the Speedhuts had no illumination. The GT Guys replaced a part at Carlisle last June, no problem since. The Speedhut gas gage, seems to have intermittent problems. I can tank up the car, drive 10 miles and the low gas light will come on. Turn off the car, restart, and it'll show full. Other than that, just a joy to own and drive!!!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
35K. Replaced fuel, temp, tach and speedo gauges over the years. Solenoid for trunk and left headlight under warranty years ago. Replaced all belts and fluids last summer. Third set of tires.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
14K. Started with 3800 3 years ago. Had to change out MAF sensor, replaced oil pressure gauge with a 'new and improved' Autometer. Driver's side rear shock was leaking when I bought it and figured I'd change them out for Scott's Ohlins at the Vegas Rally.

Front passenger side signal bulb is still wonky despite removing the bulb, cleaning the contacts, and replacing it with a new bulb. Very aggravating. I'm stumped on this one.

Other that that, it's been all good.

Matt

GT Owner
Jan 27, 2012
Tampa, FL
17K. Replaced A/C compressor, RR leaky shock, starter. The LED indicator for the Fog lamp switch has also failed, but I have not fixed it yet. Total spent on repairs is pretty low in the 5 years I've owned it <$5,000. I wish all of my cars were as good as the GT.

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
21K miles here........changed out the axle bolts 9 years ago, new battery, belts and tires........everything else is all original

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
12,500 miles this weekend, bought new with 3mi.

Oil, filters, Tires (1 set, 8yr), Battery (6yr); Half-shaft recall (3yr, OEM was fine); trans-axle vent/crush-washer replaced and sealed.

OEM, 100% factory, bone, stock (extra rubber mats in plastic; OEM seat covers in box)

Best money spent on a car, ever.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Very interesting reading about various issues dealt with. Love the thread.
Took delivery May 2006 with 3.5 miles
Now show 23,850. Longest road trip was L.A. to the Austin Rally and back. Some 3,500 miles.
About 25 track days.
Ran through original Goodyears and currently on second set of Brigestones. Have a second set of wheels for the track with Hoosiers.
I change out my brake pads between OEM and Mintex track pads. Running second set of OEM rotors, but original ones are in great shape.
Added the Ford Racing Pully. Thanks Kendall and Ryan.
Changed out the original battery after 7 years, although it showed no signs of failure. Just got jumpy about the gauges.
No gauges ever failed, but with ominous GT brethren issues, pulled the stock gauges and replaced with Speedhuts at 20,000 miles.
Did the axle bolt change out at 500 miles. Added a Ford Transaxle cooler at that time.
On my second windshield. Took a rock direct hit going into Austin.
Oil changes, transaxle fluid, coolant changes, clutch, brake and steering fluid changes all on schedule.
Currently have the headlight switch illumination light not working. But I can't see it as the washer stalk covers it from my eye. Not fired up to fix.
Removed the stock muffler box and replaced with Stillen system.
Question. Why do coil covers corrode? Mine are perfect. Do you guys wash the cars and have water run over the engines through the vents?
Bottom line? Greatest car I will ever own! Beyond my highest expectations!
Go FORD! Win Le Mans!

Last edited:

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Oh, just in case you didn't already know, my GT has been driven. 3.2 miles at delivery 3/06 and is at 133,000 as of 6/1/16.

Pretty much ordinary wear and routine by the book maintenance …all done by my Local Ford dealer Bowen Scarff Ford in Kent, Washington. Best as I can remember, work done under warrentee : axle bolts (@600 mi), 1 leaking shock (@ 700mi), shifter cables replace due to casing being melted (@20,000) 1 coil and EGR valve (@50,000). No other "issue" items at all.

Multiple sets of rear tires and one pair in the front. Goodyears only, Rear's between 14,000 and 20,000 miles and fronst due to age @75,000. I had a a Stillen A/P clutch installed at 20K. Replaced it, due to slipping after 100,000. Re-installed the oem clutch. Flywheel was just fine with 4/5 hot spots. 2 windshields first one due to rock and 2nd due to sand storm. Replaced the dash leather, due to shrinking around defroster vents and glue failure at a/c vents. Replaced clam shell vents last summer.

I could not be happier - routine maintenance costs are low and overall reliability has been excellent.

Perfect ? No, but really, really close.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Jeff.....

You are my hero. You and Ralphie.

Last edited:

Tomcat

GT Owner
38K on mine, recently replaced all gauges with Speedhut because original temp gauge failed about 28Kmi, so I wanted to keep the rest intact. Other than that, I just do the regular maintenance, no parts failures. I had the transaxle stub shaft bolts replaced to avoid future failure. Like most, the coil covers have corroded, floor mats are oozing, etc. Pretty reliable and low maintenance so far.

I'm tied with Pete at 38k...refurbished the slightly corroded coil covers (and have additional new ones in a box). Also reconditioned BBS wheels (and have 4 perfect ones in the garage).

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
27,800 miles.
Beyond routing maintenance (fluids, filters, second battery, 3rd set of tires -- now Bridgestones) I've replaced the following:
Leaky driver's side rear shock under warranty around 12,000 miles
Windshield at 17,000 miles from wear
Oil pressure, boost, tachometer gauges replaced with factory units over the past 4 years (fuel gauge has been intermittent over last 3 months -- sigh :bored)
Had to replace studs on top clamshell vents because screws came off and allowed them to vibrate and break off
Windshield replaced again due to crack from impact when parked (long story...)

Mods include pulley, tune, Ford Racing exhaust, short shifter, and tranny cooler, extra set of wheels with Hoosiers for track days, new JVC head unit (with Bluetooth, navigation, DVD player, satellite radio, reverse camera) and aftermarket brake pads.

With exception of gauges I'm beyond thrilled with car's balance of performance, price and reliability (not to mention residual value... :thumbsup).

Last edited:

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
35,000 miles. Except for the fuel flap failure a month or so ago, its just been routine maintenance, which I've done all myself. The car has never been to a dealer, I just follow the factory manual exactly, although I changed all rotors at about 25K miles after some hard track days wore them out. Had many many gauge failures but they always came back after charging or replacing the battery (on my third).

oceanside gt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Oceanside, CA
9K. Changed out the axle bolts 10 years ago. Replaced the A/C Compressor 2 years ago. It's an incredibly well built vehicle! Just need to get her out more often!

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
About 9,000. Drove it 150 miles last week. Bone stock.