2010 Ford GT

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
A couple of interesting questions where asked of Ford GT chief engineer, Fred Goodnow at the SVT engineer's program at Ford Carlisle this weekend. The first, "If Alan Mulally asked you to, could you produce a new Ford GT?" and the second, "Was the V8 the only engine considered for the GT?". The delivery of the answers was as good or better than the information provided. The passion this man has for this car is just fantastic. Make no mistake about it, this man is the man who made sure the Ford GT is the great car it is!
As for the V8, Fred said anything other than a V8 would not have been true to the heritage of the car. He went on to state that the car was built as a street car but clearly would be a very capable race car as well. In fact the bottom end of the engine is so strong that several owners had twin turbos running 1200+ horsepower with no problems. As for a new GT, he even indicated he would come out of retirement again if needed. He went on to say that even today almost five years later, "nothing can catch it, not even close". Straightforward, concise and correct.
Don't suppose there will be a 2010 Ford GT but if you get the chance to meet this guy or hear him speak you need to. Thanks again Fred GT!

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
Will Fred be at rally III? I'm sure MANY would enjoy conversation with him and knowing how there GT's came to be.:thumbsup

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
Best design in the history of Automobiles,

Simple yet sophisticated,(No electronic nannies and gadgets that break)

Functional yet stunning "supermodel" appearance

Magnificent Performance that will still beat just about anything (including the GTR).

Add a whipple or TT, and nothing comes close.............including the ZR1 and Enzo.

(Crap, a TT Ford GT beats a Veyron to 200 by 7 seconds!!)

THANK YOU MR FRED FOR THIS CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
While working on the GT Year book, Fred and I got to be real good friends. The late nights working on the book gave Us lots of time to swap race stories. (He's an old drag racer from WAY back)

Even with Camillo's perfect design, I doubt the GT would have happened without Fred. :bow:bow He's a human dynamo. We even named one of the engineering cars after Him. We called it the "Fred Car". It was the first regular production car, VIN # 116. It earned this honor after Fred stuffed it into a guard rail entering the Ohio Turnpike. His passenger just happened to be a BIG Wheel at Ford and on the GT program. MANY MANY thousands of dollars later, it went back into engineering service.

If I got a call from Fred tomorrow asking Me to work on another project with him, I'd jump the first Jet back to Michigan. Sadly, living out here in the Golden West prevents Me from seeing My friend Fred very often. If He makes it to the Vegas Rally, I'll drive up and try and spend some time with one of the true heros of the GT program. :thumbsup

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
We need Fred to be at Rally III. If he has no conflicts, we should make it possible for him to come at no expense. He is why the car is as good as it is. Can we make this happen DBK?

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
What will it take to get Fred to Vegas? Maybe get him to Scottsdale and see if T Cantwell will let him motor up to Vegas with one of his other FGTs?

cobraownr

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2007
Annapolis, MD
The sentiments about coming out of retirement if a new FGT program was initiated remind me of what happened when President Reagan ordered the four Iowa Class battleships to be returned to active duty in the early 1980s. My recollection is that every ship was way over quota with volunteers who wanted to serve on these magnificent ships, and that many officers and sailors came out of retirement for the honor of being part of the crews. FTGs and the Iowas: in a class by themselves!

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
I (Mrs. Moose) need to chime in here...
Rally I was an amazing adventure. We had no preconceived notions of what to expect. I'm not really a "car guy", but I was excited to see where the GTs were built - Wixom and Saleen - very cool for me.

I am so very glad I was there! Talking to the GT folks is a huge reason (for me) why it was such a GREAT event! Fred Goodnow tops my list; we talked about a lot of things - from the GT to his pending retirement to the work he did on his home (I'd love to see the woodwork he talked about). Jamal, Tim Tischler, John Pfeifer, Hau Thai-Tang, Michael Leese - all had great stories and were very gracious. But I have to say, Fred Goodnow and Neil Ressler :thumbsup were my favorite "interviews". They had great stories and I'd love to chat with them again. At Rally II, Mark McGowan and Jason Heffner were two of my favs.
Mrs. Moose