2008 GT500 Shelby questionDid

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
Does Ford us a specific "Break In " oil in these cars when New?

I ask because My neighbor just picked up a 2008 with only 200 miles on it.
He wants to change oil and start fresh.
Can he just change it with the recomended oil and not worry about it or should he use something else?

Lorenzo

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Yes, no special break in oil is used.

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
Thanks Clinton, I knew you would know buddy. :thumbsup

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
while we all know that the oil for the GT500's are the same as the FGT - many on the Team Shelby forum are going to Amsoil 10-40 or even a full syntehic 0-50

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/68209-amsoil-10w-40-uoa-w-4124-miles/

I'm sticking with the 5-50 Ford.....

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Because of the low qualtiy and shear induced degradation that the Motorcraft formulation shows when tested, I tried, tested then ran for 20k miles Shell Rotella T6 synthetic 5W40 in my gt500. Test results were far superior than the 5W50 Motorcraft which was closer to a 5W30 after 1000 miles. The currently sold Motorcraft 5W50 is NOT the same oil Ford originally sold for the FGT. Lots of good information on this subject over at SVT Performance and some at Team Shelby.

MAD IN NC

Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Because of the low qualtiy and shear induced degradation that the Motorcraft formulation shows when tested, I tried, tested then ran for 20k miles Shell Rotella T6 synthetic 5W40 in my gt500. Test results were far superior than the 5W50 Motorcraft which was closer to a 5W30 after 1000 miles. The currently sold Motorcraft 5W50 is NOT the same oil Ford originally sold for the FGT. Lots of good information on this subject over at SVT Performance and some at Team Shelby.

..............not trying to hi-jack or change topic but JC, what do you run in the FGT?

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
I have not yet changed the oil in my GT but plan to run the same Rotella T6 and send oil for analysis at 1k and 5k miles to verify. Since I already run this oil in the Gt500, A V10 motorhome, home standby gen set, Onan motorhome genset, my wife's Ecoboost MKT and a Harley, I do not anticipate any different results. IE very low wear, lots of additive life remaining at change interval and within grade viscosity at end of life. As I have not yet used the oil in a FGT, I am NOT reccomending others do so on my word. Its just the direction I intend to go based on past results.

MAD IN NC

Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
JC - thanks for your PERSONAL view...

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The currently sold Motorcraft 5W50 is NOT the same oil Ford originally sold for the FGT.

I'd sure like to understand this statement better. Any more info or links on this topic?

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
I'd sure like to understand this statement better. Any more info or links on this topic?

+1

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
The specs changed to meet newer emissions requirements and emissions warranty requirements in the 'B' spec 5W50. At about the same time, oil analysis showed the formulation that started out as near a 5W50 sheared to approx a 5W30 in 1000 miles.

I for one would prefer an oil with a stable viscosity range throughout its useful life. Again, my personal opinion and may not be right for how others feel on the subject.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Isn't it all about the additives? I believe the emission requirements effective reduced the additive content of any street legal oil.

Oils labeled as racing only, like my favorite non street legal oil Joe Gibbs Racing oil, are still able to put all the good additives in at quantities that give the best lubrication and wear resistance.

Just my opinion. :rolleyes

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Do you think the current recommended Motorcraft 5/50 is sufficient for a dyno run or does the community speak to another oil for a dyno tune?