2006 NAIAS Report & GT Pics

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Friday I put on the penguin suit and went to the annual NAIAS Charity Preview. Of course I dutifully took some GT pics for those who won't be able to attend. The GT looked evil in solid black, and the Tungsten car reaffirmed my belief that, in the right light, its still unbeatable. It just looked ridiculously good in that light. I was starting to think I recalled it being better than it is, but it certainly is stunning.

Highlights of the show for me were:
-the new XK's, which were beautiful and drew large crowds
-the stunning Aston Martin Rapide
-the GT500 coupe
-the Challenger (which made me laugh at how the "new" camaro was such a quickly slapped together last minute retort)
-the Murcielago Spider (miura wasn't my cup of tea)
-a wonderfully executed Audi S8
-pondering the always amusing SLR
-the new Infiniti Coupe
-sitting in a nice looking new Machine Silver C6 Z06
-the bonkers S7 in a highly metallic orange

The rest was standard car show stuff. A nice new Lincoln CUV, Volvo C70 retractable hardtop vert, the always-horrendous GM product layout (I hesitate even using the word "layout"), various bimmers and volkswagens etc.

Didn't take many pics, but here's a few worth seeing:

heritage2s.jpg

heritage1s.jpg

heritage3s.jpg

heritage4s.jpg

solidb1s.jpg

solidb2s.jpg

solidb3s.jpg

solidb4s.jpg

solidb5s.jpg

GTmotors.jpg

cutaways.jpg

twinscrews.jpg

tungsten1s.jpg

tungsten2s.jpg

And last but not least, yours truly with his substantially better looking girlfriend in front of a Tungsten GT :biggrin :

tungsten3s.jpg

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
Thanks for the photos.

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
Great pics, I like that cutaway of the GT engine and trans...

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Dave

Very nice pictures and a good looking girl friend.

Thanks

Dave

satx

Aug 25, 2005
Dana Point
that heritage paint keeps growing on me.......looks like a piece of candy.

wonkawonka

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Lebanon
Thanks Dave! The car really looks great in all its incarnations.
And the girlfriend pict should have been first, not last! (the dress perfectly fits the occasion :biggrin)

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Excellent! I agree with 50 BMG, the engine and trans is a quite a sight. I also agree with satx, that paint scheme almost gives me buyer's remorse, I want one like that! Thanks for the photos. Regarding your lady, you lucky guy...

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Great pictures... can we have some more girlfriend pictures... lovely lady! :wink

Matter of fact, should that no be a requirement of joining this forum?.. posting pictures of the wife, girlfriend etc. :banana

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Simply stunning!

The Ford stuff looked nice, too.

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Your kidding right?

Are you sure? She looks like she stepped off the spinning platform from some concept vehicle?

Is that a fun event? I always wanted to do the Tux. night at the show. Or is it just as fun to go on Industry day.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
YOU STUD YOU! ENJOY,Hey have i told you its 12 degrees here? enjoy :thumbsup

Vic

GT Owner
Aug 5, 2005
The OC
Thanks for the pics!

Your girlfriend is very elegant, and likely to hold her beauty for many years. Heftier women often lose their allure very early in life. I married a pettite woman some 23 years ago, and she gets compliments all the time, because she still looks 18.

BTW, nice shine on those shoes!

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
How does your quite tall (and very lovely looking) girlfriend fit in your GT?? :lol

DBK said:
And last but not least, yours truly with his substantially better looking girlfriend in front of a Tungsten GT :biggrin :

tungsten3s.jpg

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Or perhaps she is not so tall, it's just you being on the short side.... ha ha ha

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Thanks for all the compliments guys. She enjoyed reading them thoroughly :wink

It's a pretty fun event. Cheap champagne, tv crews, lotsa cars. This year wasn't as much fun because there weren't as many people I knew, but it was less crowded than last year, so that was a plus. It's fun to people-watch, because Lord only knows the Detroit industry has about 53,000 people convinced they are the most important man in the room, and it's on full display this night. Ironic, given their current lot.

one of 101 said:
Or perhaps she is not so tall, it's just you being on the short side.... ha ha ha

I'm actually only 4'9, and she's really 5'1, so it's easy for her to look tall. Only kidding, in the high heels she's over 6 foot, so I get to play mini-me for the night. I don't own a GT, but I've driven with her as a passenger in the GT before and she fits just fine.

Rick Wagoner and Bill Ford were standing side by side for a bit when I first got there, and Bill truly did look like a midget because Wagoner is an absolute giant. Dave Cosper, who is the CFO of Ford's financial services group, is another redwood standing nearly 6'10. Trying to fit him in the GT was an impossibility, as his head became chopping block material for the infamous doors...

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
hey DBK, where do you live in Detroit? I grew up on Washburn by Wyoming and Puritan...is iit still there?

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
DBK - you have mail...

The GT in black does look wonderful, was it 'analogdesigner' earlier who was wondering about his colour choice? Couldn't agree more! I love the red (fortunately) and I had no choice - there was only one car available. But the black.....? Beautiful. Someone here (forgive me for forgetting) has a superb GT in yellow (de-striped), now I want 2 in different colours!!

Your girlfriend is extremely elegant and you must be very proud to walk into a room with her on your arm... I now want to change mine!!

Shoman594

Jan 1, 2006
Chicago, IL
Very nice pictures! I love the Heritage Edition colors.

fordification

Aug 9, 2005
very few times I ever get distracted from looking at a GT. Good job!

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
DBK said:
I don't own a GT, but I've driven with her as a passenger in the GT before and she fits just fine.

What is this now, you don't own a GT ? I thought I saw one on your vBgarage ... Sir, explain

PS: Hope the girlfriend isn't just borrowed aswell.. just kiddin :biggrin