2005-2006 Ford GT tachometer

Nov 1, 2017
Hi
Does anyone have a new 2005-2006 Ford GT tachometer or know anyone that can repair one that doesn’t work?
Thank you

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
There are no repairs. I believe the only place to buy one now is from Ford. Pricey. You might look at Speedhuts.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
They cannot be repaired - it's been tried but no success.

It's a dilemma. The smaller gauges have a replacement from Autometer (who made the originals for Ford) that uses different design for the innards. But they do not make the larger gauges - speedo and tach. Your choices are to get a Ford gauge which will fail with the same probability as the others or to replace the entire panel with the Speedhuts.

Use the Forum search function for "gauge" and you'll get more info than you need :)

Reactions: dshears

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Well, anything that’s man-made can be repaired. It might cost more than buying a NOS gauge from Ford, but it depends on your motivation.

I suspect if you went to Palo Alto Speedometer or North Hollywood Speedometer, explained the situation, and that there are many people in the same boat as you, you would get them to put new digital guts in the old meter on a time-and-materials basis for enough $$$$.

I decided to preemptively replace mine with a Speedhut full panel.

Reactions: Nafod

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
I too have a full panel of Speedhut gauges, and really like having shift lights and color choices.

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
I have changed out some OEM gauges with Speed Hut sets as preemptive measures. Lots of nice options, but the quality of some of Speed Hut parts is not great. Had to send back a panel twice for poor paint issues and still ended up having it painted localy a 3rd time. Looks like they packaged the part in styrofoam before paint was dried. Have seen it on other of the units too.

I changed my entire panel to Speedhuts and have had no problems. In any case, they are warranted and inexpensive to buy individually. I particularly like them because their faces can be formatted to suit your own likes and dislikes and you can work with the designer to make them pretty much custom.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Speedhut needs to hard coat black anodize the panel.

They are not interested in doing this even tho it is not complicated or expensive.

After they friction weld the screws in the back, it is no longer possible due to the dissimilar metals reacting during anodizing.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The non-matching panel and the gauges look cheap, IMO.

Reactions: GTMD and Joe Dozzo

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
I had the Speedhuts in a car I purchased. Did not like how the fascia had to be user-modified to fit. And I had their speedometer go bad.

I went back to stock.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
I had Rich Brooks replace my working factory gauges with SpeedHuts, just to preserve my originals. I've been pretty satisfied with them. My biggest gripe is that I miss the original flat-bottomed tach! Looked so much cooler.

Reactions: RPM217
I had the Speedhuts in a car I purchased. Did not like how the fascia had to be user-modified to fit. And I had their speedometer go bad.

I went back to stock.
That's interesting. When I bought my panel and gauges, the panel was anodized black and just slightly smaller than the stock one, so it was much easier (and less finicky) to install. No modifications were needed. Sounds as though things have changed.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
I had Rich Brooks replace my working factory gauges with SpeedHuts, just to preserve my originals. I've been pretty satisfied with them. My biggest gripe is that I miss the original flat-bottomed tach! Looked so much cooler.
I did the exact same thing, had Rich order them to look as close to the original as possible. I have the originals packed away, they were working perfectly when removed. I miss the flat-bottomed tach as well!!!

Reactions: DakotaGT

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
I mis-spoke - slightly...

It is the backside of the tach - see page 4 - so nothing visible but still a pain to make fit properly.

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Does anybody have a side by side picture of original gauges vs Speedhut gauges? I'm not the original owner of my car and I'm curious if the gauges were replaced. My car has 18,500 miles on her.

QSS

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
Factory gauges (though the double DIN is not!). Notice flat bottom on the tach.

20170503_110319.jpg

Speedhut with round tach

IMG_4237.PNG

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
That's interesting. When I bought my panel and gauges, the panel was anodized black.

Interesting. That was most definitely not an option when I bought my set. In fact, they sent a (horribly applied) black powdercoated panel.

Reactions: GT Tech

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I installed my Speedhut full panel about 5 years ago. Metal panel was powder coated. I have not had any gauge problems or problems with the panel finish in that time. And I’ve probably put more miles on them than anyone else. Not to say that 2112 or others haven’t had some problems, but my experience has been 100% so far.

Ditto on the observation that the Speedhut panel is slightly smaller, which makes it much easier to get in and out than the OE panel. It also doesn’t have sharp edges, which gouge your fingers as well as the binnacle when taking them out (unless you use lots of tape to protect the binnacle, which then makes it even harder to get out). The original panel is sealed away in plastic for the (hopefully) distant day that someone else inherits my car and might actually want them.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
I installed my Speedhut full panel about 5 years ago. Metal panel was powder coated. I have not had any gauge problems or problems with the panel finish in that time. And I’ve probably put more miles on them than anyone else. Not to say that 2112 or others haven’t had some problems, but my experience has been 100% so far.

Ditto on the observation that the Speedhut panel is slightly smaller, which makes it much easier to get in and out than the OE panel. It also doesn’t have sharp edges, which gouge your fingers as well as the binnacle when taking them out (unless you use lots of tape to protect the binnacle, which then makes it even harder to get out). The original panel is sealed away in plastic for the (hopefully) distant day that someone else inherits my car and might actually want them.
You'll never put the panel back in. You'll never sell the car. May as well sell it to an amateur hoarder like me.

Reactions: PeteK

Steve Schneider

GT Owner
Dec 16, 2010
Lost my tack is Ford OEM part # 4G7Z*17360*AA ?