2.7 pulley on stock snout????

Omega_man

GT Owner 2005 #248
Mar 19, 2007
S. Florida
Hello,
Who makes a 2.7-2.8 pulley that fits on the stock snout. I talked to Alternative, but theirs requires the snout replacement. Kenne Bell also requires the snout changed.

What I am looking for is to change the pulley (only), change belt if needed & add a tune (for 93 oct) similar to what Alternative offers.

Thx!!!!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Hello,
Who makes a 2.7-2.8 pulley that fits on the stock snout. I talked to Alternative, but theirs requires the snout replacement. Kenne Bell also requires the snout changed.

What I am looking for is to change the pulley (only), change belt if needed & add a tune (for 93 oct) similar to what Alternative offers.

Thx!!!!

Kim,
I ordered a Steel pulley from Bob Ida, It's not on the car yet so if you want to check it out you can hold it in your hands... 16 lb boost level uses the stock belt :biggrin

Omega_man

GT Owner 2005 #248
Mar 19, 2007
S. Florida
Kim,
Brian,
I ordered a Steel pulley from Bob Ida, It's not on the car yet so if you want to check it out you can hold it in your hands... 16 lb boost level uses the stock belt :biggrin
Is it 2.7-2.8 dia? Have you decided on doing a tune with it & what was the pulley cost?
I am thinking of having Doug Levin do the work if I decide to not do it my self. His new shop is here in Davie near Pine Island & Griffin Rd.
Thx!

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Is it 2.7-2.8 dia? Have you decided on doing a tune with it & what was the pulley cost?
I am thinking of having Doug Levin do the work if I decide to not do it my self. His new shop is here in Davie near Pine Island & Griffin Rd.
Thx!

He doesn't give the exact dia. but a check with the calipers puts at around 2.72" If you do a search on Bob Ida many have used his pulley and have been happy with the results. I bought an SCT live wire tuner from Tony G at HP performance in the Orlando area. He's great to work with and a very knowledgeable GT tuner.. I plan to do the install after my trip .. PM me if you want my number or further info.. If you do a search on any of the above mentioned items yo can get some other feed back on parts or Tony G.. good luck, Brian

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
Hello,

Thx!!!!

Roush have a pulley (2.8") and belt package which is what I put on my car.

Rob

Omega_man

GT Owner 2005 #248
Mar 19, 2007
S. Florida
Roush have a pulley (2.8") and belt package which is what I put on my car.

Rob
Hi Rob,
What was the cost of the Roush Belt & pulley. Did you do a tune, if so who did you use and are you happy with your choice? Did you have to replace the
mass air flow sensor. MMP, Inc appears to require it.

I spoke to Tony at HP today, he said the original belt would be fine.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
You can get the 2.7 pulleys from Whipple. I used that with my stock belt initially.

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
Hi Rob,
What was the cost of the Roush Belt & pulley. Did you do a tune, if so who did you use and are you happy with your choice? Did you have to replace the
mass air flow sensor. MMP, Inc appears to require it.

I spoke to Tony at HP today, he said the original belt would be fine.

The Roush pulley and belt costs $300.

http://store.roushperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=604

Roush told me the car didn't need to be tuned (I believe the pulley is 2.8" and thus provides a rather modest increase in boost) and my car runs very well with it.

I'm not sure why Roush is not a vendor on this site. They should be!

Rob

Last edited:

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
It says that the pulley is worth just 25BHP... I thought pulley and tune was a close to 100bhp improvement???

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
25 hp pound of boost has been the rule of thumb. Stillen said the same of their pulley. No tune needed, but only added about 1 pound of boost. The stock tune I guess is fat enough to handle that. That pulley plus a tune might net a bit more.

Now I am not a pro tuner by any means, but I have tuned turbo and vortec cars in the past. Below is my very fuzzy logic.

If you can get 50 on just a tune, well that is the same as 2 psi of boost while still at (12).
now add + 2 psi of boost and you should be nearing 100 (14psi). Borderline tune.

After this, you add two more psi (16) and the octane requirement goes up 1-2 points per pound. So maybe you could get another 50hp if you ran 95 octane ( 95 octane and 16psi might work out to 150ish, again on a border line tune).

But because we want to run pump gas, the tune must compensate, and the hp drops. We also have to fight the extra heat created by the blower at high boost. My very fuzzy logic says somewhere around 16-17 psi we get to the point where we are just blowing hot air, Whipple or turbo time from here IMO.

Omega_man

GT Owner 2005 #248
Mar 19, 2007
S. Florida
The Roush pulley and belt costs $300.

http://store.roushperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=604
Roush told me the car didn't need to be tuned (I believe the pulley is 2.8" and thus provides a rather modest increase in boost) and my car runs very well with it.
I'm not sure why Roush is not a vendor on this site. They should be!

Rob
I read somewhere that the roush pulley is 80mm dia, which is about 3.14. This likely why no tune is needed & the HP gain is only 25hp. The boost increase must be minimal.
I am likely going with Heffners 2.7 pulley & matching tune(s) though Tony G at HP has a great package too. Jason Heffners & Tony G's both come with 3 tunes for 3 different octanes, both kits are competitively priced (SCT/Livewire). Jason H had said changing the TB will not show a noticeable increase in power. The tune & pulley is the "biggest bang" for the bucks.
Exhaust & TB combo are far more expensive with little gains for the bucks.
I am looking at getting Doug Levin to do the work for me at his new shop here in Davie. I'll let everyone know how it turns out...hope it's a wow...OMG feeling!!!

Last edited: