11 Shelby GT 500-While I wait for the Ford GT

theseeker

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 31, 2009
Sugar Land, TX
Man makes plans and God laughs!
I was planning to buy a Ford GT about a year back when my world went into a tailspin. It appears that is all behind me now, fingers crossed, and last week I bought this to hold me over.

http://
DSC03446.jpg

DSC03448.jpg

DSC03452.jpg

DSC03443.jpg

DSC03449.jpg

DSC03453.jpg

It has the SVT performance package and is a lot more fun than I expected it to be.
I have a number of upgrades planned but I am having trouble finding the right mod shop. Tasca appears to be the best but shipping my car from Houston to Rhode Island seems extreme.

JTHennessey

Jul 28, 2008
Houston, TX
Great looking vehicle. Look forward to seeing it around town!

James

Aug 25, 2006
Your gal looks "hot"; thank you for sharing

All the best

Shadowman

satx

Aug 25, 2005
Dana Point
looks great! that half inch of lowering combined with the bigger wheels makes a good bit of difference in the looks dept. I like the black outline of the stripes as well.

theseeker

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 31, 2009
Sugar Land, TX
Great looking vehicle. Look forward to seeing it around town!

James

James you will get to see it in person very soon.

Rocky

Your gal looks "hot"; thank you for sharing

All the best

Shadowman

Many thanks Shadowman!

looks great! that half inch of lowering combined with the bigger wheels makes a good bit of difference in the looks dept. I like the black outline of the stripes as well.

Satx, Thank you! I had no idea how much fun I would have with this go-cart. Ford has trully got their SH*T together and I could not be happier.

All the best,

Rocky

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Very nice.....substitute.
I've got one too (an '07) and it is a lot of fun to drive on the street and on the track.
But it's very front heavy (naturally). And drives nothing like a FGT.
Hurry up and get the real thing, join us as owners, and see what all our excitement about the car really is first hand!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Doesn't the 2011 have an aluminum block saving quite a bit of weight of the front axle?

Aug 25, 2006
Doesn't the 2011 have an aluminum block saving quite a bit of weight of the front axle?

Yes as well and many other tweaks

Shadowman

MG0427

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 20, 2006
Central Florida
Congrats, Good luck with car; it beautiful, I got me think ing for a convertible verison

theseeker

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 31, 2009
Sugar Land, TX

The engine weight dropped 102 pounds.

on d bit

Jul 20, 2008
maricopa az
I have a number of upgrades planned but I am having trouble finding the right mod shop. Tasca appears to be the best but shipping my car from Houston to Rhode Island seems extreme.

What are you looking to do to it? Pulley tune long tubes, you paid extra for the svt pack so you dont need suspension work. The only reason to send it somewhere would be for the tune, and really you could get this done by just sending out the ecu not the entire car. Everything else you could get done locally. Best of luck with whatever you decide!

Oh yea, the your gt500 looks GREAT!!!! Enjoy:cheers

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
A few years back I talked to a tuner near the hobby airport. They had a streetable terminator doing 8.33 at the time. They may still be around.

theseeker

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 31, 2009
Sugar Land, TX
What are you looking to do to it? Pulley tune long tubes, you paid extra for the svt pack so you dont need suspension work. The only reason to send it somewhere would be for the tune, and really you could get this done by just sending out the ecu not the entire car. Everything else you could get done locally. Best of luck with whatever you decide!

Oh yea, the your gt500 looks GREAT!!!! Enjoy:cheers

Thanks, I like it too!

I will not change the suspension, it is excellent IMO. I spoke with Hennessey and the initial thought is a pulley change and a tune. Headers and LT's don't seem to add much for the price however, I may go with Borla mufflers.
There are a number of aesthetic changes that I want to make. So I want to send it to one place only.

Last edited:

on d bit

Jul 20, 2008
maricopa az
A tune pulley and exhaust work should have you in the area of 600rwhp(about 100 more than stock). One could do this type of work for about 2k. For a 3750lb car this would wake it up and yet still be very street-able from a traction and handling standpoint.

theseeker

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 31, 2009
Sugar Land, TX
A tune pulley and exhaust work should have you in the area of 600rwhp(about 100 more than stock). One could do this type of work for about 2k. For a 3750lb car this would wake it up and yet still be very street-able from a traction and handling standpoint.

The $64 question is, how far can I go hp wise before I have no hook-up? Currently, I get minimal wheel spin with a feathered drop and a lot with full dump. My thought is that adding the watts-link will help but adding much more hp will add to my problems.

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
The $64 question is, how far can I go hp wise before I have no hook-up? Currently, I get minimal wheel spin with a feathered drop and a lot with full dump. My thought is that adding the watts-link will help but adding much more hp will add to my problems.

Drag radials would be a good way to go...I ran them year round on my 91 LX notchback daily driver back when I was in med school.

Great car....would love to check it out one of these days.

Sanjay

on d bit

Jul 20, 2008
maricopa az
R rated tires:)

or you could ditch the stock suspension and go coil overs and torque arm bar with watts link, but that overkill....or is it?

on d bit

Jul 20, 2008
maricopa az
double sorry!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
R rated tires:)

or you could ditch the stock suspension and go coil overs and torque arm bar with watts link, but that overkill....or is it?

I am installing that very suspension on an 08' GT500. It gives you a chance to clean up the axle (remove all the extraneous mounts/weights) too. Torque arm has two and the Watt's link one welded mount that will not affect stock steel panels adversely.

Griggs pulls over 1.2 Gs with their Mustangs. So much for a solid axle being a huge detriment.

:usa

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Beautiful Stang.

I have an '09 KR. I love it. Awesome car.