05/06 GT or 2017-21 GT

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
For those of us who are lucky enough to own both generations. I’m curious if you like one better than the other? And if you could only have one which would it be? And why?
My take is this.
I love them both and they are both clearly a unique driving experience. But my 06 it’s just a epic analog driving experience . Plus it’s sexy bulges! To me it’s like putting on my comfy slippers. After 15 years of ownership, I still sit in garage and admire it!

Last edited:

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
The honeymoon isn't over yet. I'm loving the 2020 Heritage. Although it's an automatic the sport mode keeps me involved while driving. I will always have both cars in my life and wouldn't want to have to choose one over the other.

Reactions: tpraceman and JWZ

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Honeymoon isn't over with our 05, either, after 16 years. 3 pedals, "analog", timeless beauty, oh, and V-8 sound.

18 is a totally different car, and amazing.

Luckily no plans to make the ultimate choice of one over the other, but to me to 05 has an ever so slight edge (obviously ignoring value, which is realistically impossible to do).

Reactions: jammer

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Like choosing your favorite kid and also in this case keeping them both. If I had to make a choice and only keep one I think the 05 gives me s more complete driving experience.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
A 2005-6 will never leave my garage

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
A 2005-6 will never leave my garage
Plus you fit in it!

Reactions: Kpgarage and jaxgt

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Thank god I do fit in it, as it is by far my favorite car of all time.

The 2019 was brutally tight for me. The sight of me trying to climb in and out of my 2019 was quite amusing to everyone, but me :)
Absolutely loved it though.

Reactions: roketman

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
05-06 x5.5 now. I need a lot of parts for the .5 car lol

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Will never sell my 05! Can perform servicing and many repairs. Must be lowest cost super car there is. Something about supercharged American V8 can not be duplicated.(especially with no traction control).
My 2019 truly a work of art, love all the aero details. Only concerned about long term maintenance costs and a availability.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Thank god I do fit in it, as it is by far my favorite car of all time.

The 2019 was brutally tight for me. The sight of me trying to climb in and out of my 2019 was quite amusing to everyone, but me :)
Absolutely loved it though.
That’s quite a visual!
Got any video?

Saint Ho

GT Owner
Feb 12, 2013
Paris FRANCE
As Director of the European Ford GT Owners Club, and of the FORD GT PASSION Group on Facebook, my attachment to Ford GTs, and my concern to promote them, are well established.

But that doesn't stop me from being a demanding and lucid user.

Having neither the taste nor the talent, I do not ride on the circuits.

I use my two Ford GTs, a 2005 and a 2018, to visit the splendid French landscapes, on the wonderful roads that cross them, all in compliance with the laws and legal speeds.

Traveling in this way with the 2005 means being comfortably installed in a large and bright cockpit, listening to the smooth music of the V8, swallowing the kilometers with power and efficiency ( but obviously with great delicacy because of the lack of assistance ), take some luggage ( I made special suitcases located behind the seats ), trigger demonstrations of sympathy all along the road, etc….

The only advantage of the 2018 over the 2005 is the incredible safety it offers in terms of handling and braking. But in practice, for me, it's the only one.

On the other hand, we pay for this advantage, much too expensive, with the disadvantages of a dark and narrow cockpit, of a constant noise ( not a music ) extremely loud and unpleasant in this cockpit, of permanent crackles of carbon, of the impossibility of taking any luggage, of very frequent refueling stops, etc ...

My 2018 Ford GT is a fantastic road-approved race car, but not a road car, and not a Grand Tourer.

I think we understood where my preference was.

IMG_0735 2.jpeg

digman1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2007
Dallas Texas
That's a great description of the difference.

Reactions: F Pilot

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I use my two Ford GTs, a 2005 and a 2018, to visit the splendid French landscapes, on the wonderful roads that cross them, all in compliance with the laws and legal speeds.

Gentlemen,

The problem with all modern supercars is that they are so damn capable and fast they are boring at legal speeds. Either GT doesn’t start to get entertaining until you’re going fast enough to land in jail. An occasional track day or those rare remote canyon or mountain road runs allow a conjugal visit to my cars high performance and without that the frustration of owning them would be insufferable. Cheers.

Chip

Kiteboarder Ken

GT Owner
Jun 25, 2020
Tampa Florida
Thank all above for their posts! I have been lusting for a NFGT since day one. Unfortunately I wasn't one of the "Chosen Ones". I would be all over one at list price but the second hand market prices sour me a bit. I absolutely love my 05 and just about every time I drive it, I call my son and say " Guess what son? I am driving a Ford GT!!" After seeing how many dual owners said they prefer their older model, I feel much better about missing out. I would still love to own one or at least take a ride in one. Anyone live in central Florida up for a Make-a-Wish come true for me???

Reactions: 68Rcodeman

F Pilot

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2021
Toronto
I absolutely love the look of the NFGT. The 3/4 rear shot is the best of any car today IMO. I will have one some day soon. That being said, my 05 FGT and soon to be arriving 06 GT will always be in my hot hands. I am glad to have discovered these cars.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Both generations are clearly epic cars. The beauty of both of them is they will never be a later greater one. That and itself makes them both very special. I said in previous post each one is a unique driving experience to be treasured and enjoyed. My advice no matter which one you have go drive it don’t waste it just sitting in the garage!

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
2019 Looks and technology is second to none. All other supercars try to be more outrageous to compete but the artform and function is the pinnacle of all autos.

2006 is like dating a 30 year old Sofia Loren she's faster than you can drive with curves that please the eyes.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The preference depends, as always, on the characteristics an owner values over others. Analog driving experience? That’s an easy call. Misty eyed sentimentality? Another easy choice. Brutal capability of a race car? That results in another clear, albeit different, winner. Historical significance? The fact the NFGT is a homologation car makes it very, very special and, in my view, the true successor to the originals. I love my 2006 GT dearly, but the undeniable fact is that it’s an homage to a car that raced decades earlier, while the NFGT is a bonafide homologation car that many of us saw, in person, win at Le Mans. I hope I never need to make a choice.

tgilbert

GT Owner
Feb 25, 2012
Tampa
As Director of the European Ford GT Owners Club, and of the FORD GT PASSION Group on Facebook, my attachment to Ford GTs, and my concern to promote them, are well established.

But that doesn't stop me from being a demanding and lucid user.

Having neither the taste nor the talent, I do not ride on the circuits.

Traveling in this way with the 2005 means being comfortably installed in a large and bright cockpit, listening to the smooth music of the V8, swallowing the kilometers with power and efficiency ( but obviously with great delicacy because of the lack of assistance ), take some luggage ( I made special suitcases located behind the seats ), trigger demonstrations of sympathy all along the road, etc….

The only advantage of the 2018 over the 2005 is the incredible safety it offers in terms of handling and braking. But in practice, for me, it's the only one.

On the other hand, we pay for this advantage, much too expensive, with the disadvantages of a dark and narrow cockpit, of a constant noise ( not a music ) extremely loud and unpleasant in this cockpit, of permanent crackles of carbon, of the impossibility of taking any luggage, of very frequent refueling stops, etc ...

My 2018 Ford GT is a fantastic road-approved race car, but not a road car, and not a Grand Tourer.

I think we understood where my preference was.

View attachment 63684
I have plans to drive my 06 to Arizona from Florida for the rally in October, can you share any info on the custom luggage you had made???

tgilbert

GT Owner
Feb 25, 2012
Tampa
Wish I could offer my perspective, we will have to let the chosen ones let us know, I will be driving my 06 to Scottsdale, I'm interested in finding out from Saint Ho or anyone one else about custom luggage for fitment behind the seats of the 05/06 GT's.

Reactions: 68Rcodeman