0-60 and Quarter Mile Times

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Can someone give me the 0-60 and quarter mile times of a Gallardo?

Was there a shoot-out pitting the GT and Gallardo?

Thanks in advance (if this is too off-topic), feel free to P.M.

- doc

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Make sure you get the MY of the Gallardo. The more recent Gallardos have better gear ratios and a bump in HP, greatly improving performance and drive-ability.

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Nota4re:

I was in a parking lot where a neighbor had his newly acquired (but I suspect 2005) Gallardo.

There were two young fellows (about 22) in the parking lot and saw me pull up in the GT.

They favored the Gallardo and remarked that "it is so much faster."

My memory was that it is a 4 second 0-60 and 12.5 second quarter car, but I was certain that the kids would not accept those data. I was also certain that I would be asked the question frequently.

I wondered if there had been a Gallardo/GT shoot out.

Personal choice: I would prefer a Z06 as a grocery getter. My neighbor thrashes his Gallardo (WOT from every intersection with bone cold engine). It is like watching a kid on a sport bike. He is 50+.

- doc

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Doc,

In almost ANY scenario, the GT will take the Gallardo. The Gallardo is a little bit heavier as it is AWD. The biggest difference is power - the GT with 550 HP and 500 lb-ft torque. The Gallardo with 493 HP and 376 lb-ft of torque.

As I said, the newer cars (' 06) have better gearing and a bump in HP/torque.

The improved gearing coupled with the AWD may enable a newer Gallardo to win a short (street) race if the GT driver isn't driving (starting) well. However, the GT will certainly rope in the Gallardo even if one gets the jump on you and the lead will get longer as the engagement is longer.

The Gallardo will have the advantage in conditions with adverse traction (rain, snow, etc.).

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Nota4RE:

Thank you; that was a good description of the comparison between the cars and why the performance differences occur.

- doc

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
Gallardo Times

Doc,
The 06 Gallardo Spyder according to the March 06 Car and Driver:

HP=512
TORQUE=376
0-60=4.2
1/4 MILE=12.6
EPA CITY=9
EPA HIGHWAY=15
ESTIMATED LIST PRICE=$195k
600 TOTAL BUILDS WORLDWIDE

Still looking in the archives for the coupe.

Tungsten Don

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
OK Got the Gallardo numbers

Doc,
Here are the numbers for 05 Gallardo from Car and Driver August of 05.
They did rank the Gallardo above the GT.

GALLARDO
0-60=4.1 CLUTCH FAILURE OCCURED SO THEY USED AN EGEAR MODEL
0-100=9.2
1/4 MILE=12.4
TOP SPEED=192 MFG CLAIM

GT
0-60=3.6
0-100=8.4
1/4 MILE=12.0
TOP SPEED=205 ELECTRONICALLY LIMITED, BUT ACTUALLY HIT

I can fax you a copy so you can put it in their mailbox!

Tungsten Don

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Thanks Tungsten Don:

I have a friend who carries copies of shootouts between his car and competing vehicles.

When people ask him (or tell him) which is faster, he merely and politely hands them a reprint and suggests that "you might want to read this."

I have a friend with a Z06 who carries DVD copies of a road test of the Corvette and when people say "my friend's Viper is faster," he smiles and hands them a "free DVD."

- doc

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Tungsten Don:

It must be failing eye-sight, but you say the Gallardo outstripped the GT, yet the numbers you site, puts the GT well in front (and they are a bit conservative).

Please explain.

- doc

P.S. Am e-mailing you my fax number. Think I'll carry a few copies with me.

nomis

Jun 14, 2006
Home Counties, England
A very interesting read is EVO magazines car of the year 2005 (Jan 2006 issue).

They put the GT ahead of a Gallardo SE (so the late MY05/06 spec - with all the changes and added bhp) and infact, top of the pile for 2005. It makes a very good read and back issues can be ordered.

Stats as tested are: -

Gallardo SE - 513 bhp @ 8,000 rpm with 376Lb ft @ 4,500 rpm. Weight 1520kg, 343bhp/ton, 0-60mph in 4.0 and max at 196 mph

Ford GT - 550 bhp @ 6,500 rpm with 500Lb ft @ 3,750 rpm. Weight 1583kg, 353bhp/ton, 0-60mph in 3.7 and a max of 205 mph

Don't forget the Gallardo SE was also UK spec - which means it will be slightly faster than your North American spec due to us having slightly easier emissions laws. AND the SE is the latest and greatest of the Gallardos. If your neighbour has a pre SE car, it will be slower than I've stated above. And, not wanting to start a bun-fight but I know a few people who have dyno'd their Gallardos and found them producing less bhp at wheel than the Lambo state. Where as Porsche seem to underestimate (and perhaps Ford did with the GT), the Italians seem to over estimate at times :wink

See, all my research has come in handy! :wink

If anyone wants the contact info to order a copy of this issue - it's a great review of the GT - PM me and I'll dig it out for you.

Last edited:

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Simon:

Please go ahead and post the information for ordering that issue (or article) reprint.

It may be...er...instructive to the unwashed masses.

- doc

nomis

Jun 14, 2006
Home Counties, England
You need to contact Dennis Publishing on 0044 1789 490 215 (9-5 GMT M-F).

The issue you want is Evo January 2006 - Issue 087 (Car of the Year)

The pit the GT against: BMW M6, Gallardo SE, Ferrari F430, TVR Sagaris, Aston Vantage V8 and throw in the Merc SLK55 AMG and Porsche Cayman S for some 'reasonably priced' thrills.

The other issue that contains a GT review is: - EVO February 2005 - Issue 076. This is the first EVO drive of a GT and they take it right to the gates of Ferrari at Maranello :biggrin

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
eShrink,

I am surprised the youngsters preferred the looks of the Gallardo over the GT.

EVERY person I have met with an opinion on the subject, and EVERY auto magazine that has tested the two together prefer the GT's styling and looks to the Gallardo.

Eric

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Back issues of EVO can be ordered online:

EVO Back Issues

(Be advised that Dennis Direct uses an arcane online ordering system that requires you to place a separate order for each back issue (rather than a shopping car). Also, be forewarned that they default to being able to sell your contact (including telephone number) to others. So complete the forms accordingly.)

I am guessing that the kids see a tuner car look to the Gallardo that they do not see in the GT. Again, guessing, but I would think that most young people, like the young 20s I saw last night, would think that the Gallardo is the ultimate.

It is more bullet shaped and has no curves. It is all about angles. Even the Corvette has become more angular.

Again, just guessing and angles are not my "thing."

- doc

Last edited:

FordGTGuy

Aug 1, 2005
Norfolk, VA
i've seen GT's do alot better than 12 sec 1/4 miles

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
Gallardo vs GT

Doc,
Car and Driver, August 05,
Ranked the following order:
1. Ferrari 430
2. Gallardo
3. Ford GT
4. Porsche 911 Turbo Cab
5. Mercedes SL65 AMG / Aston Martin DB9 tie.

I can fax the article if you would like it. I have most of the articles written about the GT and comparing it to everthing. I do not have the EVO articles, so I will order those!

Don

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Car & Driver ranked the GT 3rd? Now that's a painful thought.

Yes, I would appreciate that being FAX'd. You have the number I believe.

I ordered the EVO articles today (as per above).

Thanks, Tungsten. (How are you liking our humidity?)

- doc

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
Humidity

I am begining to develop mold.....on me!

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
If I can recall accurately, EVO magazine voted the GT Car of the Year for 2005.
The finishing order of the voting was GT first, Ferrarl F430 2nd and the Gallardo SE 4th.

Eric

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
That is how I would imagine the rankings would go.

- doc