Should I switch from GT to LP640 Roadster?

Automotive8r

Feb 8, 2007
I suppose when I say outside "the club", I'm thinking of attention from the type of people that are really into going to "the club". Dudes with shirts that are too tight, big A/X logo on the front, cheap Movado watch they paid to have studded with a g's worth of diamonds etc, etc. :lol

I stick to my assertion that your average coked up stripper will be more interested in an LP640 than a GT.

The GT definitely gets attention, and thankfully it's pretty much always positive and not the "look at this rich asshole in his lime green wedge" type.
GMDC%20TOUCHE.jpg

Loose Cannon

Jun 26, 2007
Ok, I get it. I am keeping the GT. The Cobra replica is up for sale. I do not know what I was thinking. I guess I was emotionally attached to the cobra. It was my first really fast car and I had it for 16 years.

I am trying to set up a test ride in the LP and then will decide to put it next to the GT.

Thank You for all the advice.

Also, I live in Sarasota, FL for the member that asked.

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...008&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=4

Then why not go Versace - way over the top and pretty sweet.

I have seen this car; love the seats, did not drive it. (Thank goodness the nose raises.)

I did not relize that they were a 1/2 million $ car. We did get bang for our buck with the GT

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I got two GT's for the price of one Murci... :banana

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I was offered a test drive in the Murci LP640 by a dealer a while back. It is the only test drive I have ever declined. I saw how gorgeous it was, and I was like, what if there is that smallest chance that I really like it...There is no way I could ever afford it without selling my GT. And even then, there is no way.

Glad to hear the comments. Now I know I can go test drive it without fear. I should have known. You simply can't beat a GT.

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
Ford GT v LP640

http://www.topgear.com/blogs/isleofman/006-ford-gt/

It wasn't too much effect to keep up with Bill either :biggrin

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
A different measure of performance.

I stick to my assertion that your average coked up stripper will be more interested in an LP640 than a GT.

Forget those "0 to 60" times and top speed statistics. Here at the GT Forum the head honchos dig deep and do the type of research other automotive writers just don't seem to have time for. :thumbsup

Chip

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Hey Loose, I'm just an hour north of you up by Clearwater Beach. Off topic, I was just curious which Cobra you are selling. I understand the emotional attachement, I've had my Superformance for four years and it would be hard to part with. Except yesterday I was driving it on a city street around a corner at 15 MPH and barely accelerated around the corner and the car went sideways:eek. I've had many spirited drives in this beast, and never come close to this happening. It felt like I hit a patch of ice or oil. Perhaps my inattention while waving at a couple teens oogoling the car while going around a corner. Luckily I was turning onto a one way with no one else on the street. Scared the cr*p out of me (almost). Pretty dam embarrasing:slap.

Rick

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I had a yellow Murcielago for a while (not an LP640) - to be honest I felt such a cock driving it that I couldn't keep it for more than about a year... I would get out at gas stations feeling deeply embarrassed.

A beautiful looking car and well made too. Fragile (and costly) clutch, all wheel drive keeps it absolutely planted on the road - barnacle like grip in my experience. But a little like driving the Titanic from the pointy end, a huge car and felt heavy until doing about 70mph +. Not as nimble as the FGT which, in turn, does not feel as nimble as a 911 for example.

Neck-snapping acceleration, but, (and it's hard to define) the GT does feel as if it has 'more' somehow. The power of the GT has been described as nuclear, as linear - very smooth delivery.

Ultimately it's probably not come down to 'which is the better car?'. The GT holds its own in the company of the big Lambo, equally, the Lambo is the epitome of exotic... Rarity? Exclusivity? Style? Hmmm!

There will always be a Murcielago available - can that be said of the Ford GT?

You've already made your mind up to keep the FGT, I think it's a wise decision.

fordcapri

GT Owner
Sep 21, 2006
The Lambo LP640 is a different kettle of fish from its predecessor, by supposedly having great handling and having great road abilities. There again, a smaller Lambo can do 99% of the LP640 and is half the price, and on tight circuits I have read reports that it is actually quicker. Although it might come with a three year warranty, you still have to pay for servicing and clutches. My friend owns the normal Lambo and the running costs are horrendous. I think this new model is a revamp of a car that is basically flawed due to its size and design which is beginning to look dated. Stick with the Ford and the Cobra and if you insist on a four wheel drive supercar buy the new Audi RS8 which will be far superior in many ways and if this is not fast enough, wait until next year for the V10 version. Please take it for a test drive and let us know your opinion of the Lambo.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Swayed by the Forum

Loose - Wow, did we convince to hang onto the FGT? If so, then bravo! Keep the repli-Cobra & rent a Lambo when you feel the need.

Ed

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I had a yellow Murcielago for a while (not an LP640) - to be honest I felt such a cock driving it that I couldn't keep it for more than about a year... I would get out at gas stations feeling deeply embarrassed.

:lol

The Lambo LP640 is a different kettle of fish from its predecessor, by supposedly having great handling and having great road abilities.

From people I know who have driven the two, this is not the case.