Are headlights hard to get?

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
New headlights have been hard to get on and off over the years. How is availability right now and does anyone know a value on them?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Cant find any anywhere, even used. I just was searching for someone in Europe. Supposedly Ford has someone making them and waiting for packaging. There was just a post about someone in CA who refurbishes. Price? Unobtainium

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
I checked with my parts guy and apparently the system states OBSOLETE, NOT REPLACED
I understand Rich Brooks is talking to someone about having them made though I don't know the status on that.
I'm having meeting with a potential supplier next week though the tooling costs I fear are going to be too much for us to front.
Maybe a crowdfunder is in order?...

Tomcat

GT Owner
Repair/refurbish...some info here (SW lights) while we wait for new production:

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
Repair/refurbish...some info here (SW lights) while we wait for new production:
Looks like they do a nice job on refurbishing the existing lenses. However we also have a need for complete units for crash repairs.

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
On this topic we are working with a few companies to try to replicate new headlight assemblies. The problem will be duplicating the electronics in the assembly since it is "old tech". We have a few options we are researching to make it as close to OE as possible. As GT101 said this will be a very expensive task to undertake. Right now, we are working on tooling costs and sourcing for the electronics. Once we have this, we will have an idea on what it will cost to reproduce them with an "x" quantity in mind. Stay tuned as I'm hoping to have some sort of cost estimates to present in the next month or 2. If we can work something out it will still be some time before anyone can reproduce these.

Reactions: viva gt and HighHP

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
Also, on this note I may have access to a brand-new set of, never installed, headlights. If you are seriously interested in this set send me, (richgtguy@gmail.com) email with an offer and I will see if I can acquire them.

Reactions: Johntpr

Tomcat

GT Owner
THANK YOU!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
If the plastic lens and bodies can be produced, why not offer them with the option of modern electronics and lighting? It’s not like the original lighting is that great to begin with.

Might help recapture some of the costs to produce.

I would stick my originals on the shelf to save for concours judging in the year 2056 if I could put better lights in now.

Attachments

• 8DC6DC2B-CA65-49F3-A110-F9372461AAEB.jpeg
    8DC6DC2B-CA65-49F3-A110-F9372461AAEB.jpeg
    26 KB · Views: 7

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Put me down as a potential customer for OE-looking headlights, but with LED internals, or similar solution.

pacettr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 2, 2013
Mustang, OK
E
Also, on this note I may have access to a brand-new set of, never installed, headlights. If you are seriously interested in this set send me, (richgtguy@gmail.com) email with an offer and I will see if I can acquire them.
Email sent

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
As much as I like to have something cooler/better It would be wise to stay to oem spec otherwise no problems with inspection/registration.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
What is the primary reason we replace these? I would guess damage to the plastic assembly.

Maybe the stock electronics can be swapped into a new assembly? IDK.

Having new, modern, improved electronics and lighting as an option might help sell more units which could defray the cost of development. Never suggested making new and improved the only option.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
I don’t understand why improving the light would interfere with inspections.

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
Some territories like Germany have stricter regulations and I believe lights have to be TuV approved or E marked for sale there.
In the UK we don't have that restriction and I assume that's the same in the US.
If you change the light source then to sell the assembly as an FMVSS or TuV or E Marked approved part you'd need to put it through testing which obviously has significant cost associated.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Some territories like Germany have stricter regulations and I believe lights have to be TuV approved or E marked for sale there.
In the UK we don't have that restriction and I assume that's the same in the US.
If you change the light source then to sell the assembly as an FMVSS or TuV or E Marked approved part you'd need to put it through testing which obviously has significant cost associated.

Aren't you going to have to go thru the testing whether the part is a copy of the OEM unit or an improved version?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
16 years ago I was advised to get parts while you can. Like specracer I hoarded a parts collection now worth 75k !
I remember paying 1,200 each for lights!
So assuming history repeats itself, I bought extra lights for my 2019 GT! Considerably more expensive I might add!

Last edited:

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
Aren't you going to have to go thru the testing whether the part is a copy of the OEM unit or an improved version?
To be fair I'm not entirely sure - certainly it's not a requirement in the UK for aftermarket lights to be E marked - it is in Germany.
It is definitely a sensible thing to want to do though.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
It even makes sense to stay to oem if you just want to swap a single light. Different looking headlights would ruin the look of such a signature car.

@roketman thanks for that info

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Having new, modern, improved electronics and lighting as an option might help sell more units which could defray the cost of development.
While I personally like that idea, these cars are so rarely driven now in general that you have to think they are almost never out at night.