05/06 Power Steering Hose Deterioration

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
Is it necessary to bleed the system after replacing the hose?
No. I have been topping off the fluid level with Royal Purple Maxez synthetic power steering fluid. It blends with conventional p/s fluid. Usually takes about 15-16 ounces.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
No. It's the return hose.

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I did.I have two lifts in my garage but was too lazy to pull the cars off the lift so I figured I would give it a try on the ground.
First I lined the engine bay under the pump and hose with oil pads.
Next I syphoned the reservoir with a vacuum brake bleeder,then disconnected the hose and syphoned the entire old hose.i did cut the hose halfway down in order to get all the way to the pump.
Finally I loosened the oil tank and gently slid over the oil tank(some blue tape and microfiber towels to protect) to be able to remove the tension clamp on the hose at the end of the pump.
No mess just a couple of drops on the oil pads.​
How did you deal with the clap on the frame that has the two hoses going through it?

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
How did you deal with the clap on the frame that has the two hoses going through it?
As the old hose low pressure is no good, just cut it in half and pull it through the frame rail clamp. The new hose, not being swollen up will slide right through the clamp.

Reactions: Johntpr

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016
Thanks for taking the initiative to source this hose Richard. Mine still looks to be in good condition but I just sent you by PayPal $307 for one to use when/if the hose needs to be replaced in the future.
Riadh

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
Thanks for taking the initiative to source this hose Richard. Mine still looks to be in good condition but I just sent you by PayPal $307 for one to use when/if the hose needs to be replaced in the future.
Riadh
Will go out today. I would advise changing it ASAP. The hoses are deteriorating from the inside out. All the contaminates are being washed through the entire P/S system. Please feel free to call me if you have any questions. (586) 292-2788 Thanks, Rich

289 4spd

Apr 14, 2022
Wisconsin
Just received mine in the mail. Thank you.

Reactions: Johntpr and GT Tech

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Well, I was under the car so I took a look, the top of the hose looked good, the bottom not so much.

Two hoses next to each other, new to the left. I ended up trimming 1/2” off at the pump end and 1-1/2” at the reservoir end for a better fit in my car.

Remind me what the OEM fluid is?

Fluid is MERCON ATF XT-2-QDX

Attachments

• 5F895E3C-3A74-40E0-BFC6-19632A1E9FB8.jpeg
    5F895E3C-3A74-40E0-BFC6-19632A1E9FB8.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 68
  • CE8712E5-27D0-4C89-B3F5-F052F4B14648.jpeg
    CE8712E5-27D0-4C89-B3F5-F052F4B14648.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 69
Last edited:

Pro_GT_driver

GT Owner
Jun 23, 2010
Owners of 05/06 GTs need to check the power steering return hose going into the bottom of the PS reservoir. It is the larger of the 2 hoses. If it feels greasy or just plain nasty, it is deteriorating. Rich Brooks of the GT Garage and I have changed some, but at this point Ford no longer services this hose. We estimate that most 05/06 GTs will need a replacement hose. While we have not seen any complete failures, it is reasonable to assume that may be an issue at some point. Now for the good news. Rich and I have secured replacement hoses. I will have 80 - 100 hoses at the upcoming Rally 13 in Scottsdale, and more will be available through Myself or Rich.
Hi, return hoses are still available?
Thx

doobooloo

Aug 6, 2022
NJ
Just got one from @GT Tech - thanks Rich! He was also kind and generous enough to spend an hour on the phone with me to share a wealth of knowledge and stories. 👍

06 fgt

GT Owner
Jul 20, 2022
arnold mo
so my small hose is dry, the larger one is sweating oil, are the larger hoses available?

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
so my small hose is dry, the larger one is sweating oil, are the larger hoses available?
The larger hose (return line) is available from Myself or Rich Brooks. They are no longer available from Ford.

06 fgt

GT Owner
Jul 20, 2022
arnold mo
can you send me one?

Tomcat

GT Owner
Finally installed my low pressure hose (Thanks Rich). Original hose (45k miles) had a few "weak/soft spots" but was intact...I feel a LOT better now!

Owners of 05/06 GTs need to check the power steering return hose going into the bottom of the PS reservoir. It is the larger of the 2 hoses. If it feels greasy or just plain nasty, it is deteriorating. Rich Brooks of the GT Garage and I have changed some, but at this point Ford no longer services this hose. We estimate that most 05/06 GTs will need a replacement hose. While we have not seen any complete failures, it is reasonable to assume that may be an issue at some point. Now for the good news. Rich and I have secured replacement hoses. I will have 80 - 100 hoses at the upcoming Rally 13 in Scottsdale, and more will be available through Myself or Rich.
I changed both PS hoses last June, using the larger (return) one from Rich and the Motorcraft (smaller) one from Ford. The PS fluid is the specified Motorcraft. I was poking around today under the clam (too much rain!) and that hose ( the larger one) is now sweating fluid and when wiped, leaves black pigment on the paper towel. Those are the same symptoms as the original that was replaced. The Ford part is dry and no sweating. Uh oh! What now? Has anyone else seen this happen?

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
I changed both PS hoses last June, using the larger (return) one from Rich and the Motorcraft (smaller) one from Ford. The PS fluid is the specified Motorcraft. I was poking around today under the clam (too much rain!) and that hose ( the larger one) is now sweating fluid and when wiped, leaves black pigment on the paper towel. Those are the same symptoms as the original that was replaced. The Ford part is dry and no sweating. Uh oh! What now? Has anyone else seen this happen?
I have not seen it. Let me get a hold of Rich and talk to him. I'll get back to you.

Tomcat

GT Owner
I have not seen it. Let me get a hold of Rich and talk to him. I'll get back to you.
Any updates on why this might have happened?

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I bought one but have not installed it yet and may not if it will just happen again. Looks like there was no testing before selling these. Would like to hear from others that have installed them before going forward.

AJK

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016
I bought one too but have not yet gotten around to installing it. Interested in hearing the outcome of this conversation.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
I have not installed mine either….but waiting for update. My original is still holding up good.