GT Headlight Restoration

GT Bill

GT Owner
Jun 4, 2007
California
Are your GT headlights scratched or dirty on the inside? Do they detract from the appearance and value of your car?

My headlights were in bad shape. I decided to correct the problem. I did some research and found SW Lights in Agoura Hills, CA. They specialize in high-end headlight builds with extreme attention to detail. They are experts at taking headlights apart, refinishing and cleaning them inside and out and reassembling them to better than new condition!

I called Sean, the owner of SW, and arranged to drop my headlights off at his office. Sean did an in-depth restoration on the external and internal surfaces of the lights.

He also installed PPF on the lenses to keep them looking like new for years to come.

The restored lenses have made a huge improvement in the GT’s appearance. They look like the Crown Jewels.

Left click on the link below to open it to see the before and after photos. I think you will agree, they look better than new!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fosciipna8pmck9/AAC1qOMEq1doizi3yQgrTvaja?dl=0

And here is the contact information for Sean Wika at SW Lights:

Phone: 818-294-2700
Email: Sean@SW-Lights.com
Web Address: www.SW-Lights.com
Business Address: SW Lights
5311 Derry Ave, Suite G,
Agoura Hills, CA 91301

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Nicely done, good resource to have.

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
I might just send one of my used ones to them. Thanks for posting

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
That turn out very nice..New life for a hard to find part :)

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
I think this is the same place that @2112 has worked with for headlight repair on BMW Z8's, and was highly recommended.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I think this is the same place that @2112 has worked with for headlight repair on BMW Z8's, and was highly recommended.

I cannot endorse them.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
I cannot endorse them.

Oh, shoot. Did that not end up working out so well, after all? Sounded so promising. I was thinking I would maybe send my Z8 headlights there some day, if they get worse. PM if you'd rather respond that way, please.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Sean reached out to me after seeing this thread. My issues might get resolved.

Edit, Sean is having me return the lights to address the issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nafod and DakotaGT

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
That’s positive. Let us know how it works out
Impressive on the GT lights though

That’s positive. Let us know how it works out
Impressive on the GT lights though
I thought the headlights are sealed? If so, how do they get "scratched or dirty on the inside"?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Over the years, owners who have driven a lot at night (Larsen, Ralphje) developed very fine cracks on the inside surface of the sealed unit. The only fix is replacement. I would really like to see one of these refurbished. Also, if you look at the lights from varying angles, they have a rainbow sheen to them. I don't see that on these fixes, but it might be due to the clear bra.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Over the years, owners who have driven a lot at night (Larsen, Ralphje) developed very fine cracks on the inside surface of the sealed unit. The only fix is replacement. I would really like to see one of these refurbished. Also, if you look at the lights from varying angles, they have a rainbow sheen to them. I don't see that on these fixes, but it might be due to the clear bra.
prismatic affect ..normal. More than likely due to the slight curvature of the lens. I would assume the cracking is due heat build up ...new head lights cured that problem.

Tomcat

GT Owner
I also understood that the headlights "breath" (have a vent system) and moisture and contaminants in the atmosphere cycle through there and sometimes get deposited on the glass on the inside.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Practically all modern headlights have some kind of vent to allow moisture to escape. About the only things that don’t are “sealed beams”.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
we've buffed out GT head lamps for years. the material is extremely tough and a regular buffing wheel with fine compound works great. you won't hurt them. I got a tail lamp lamp from BMF years ago where he literally sanded out the scratches, buffed and then clear coated. looked like a new one so the plastics are pretty friendly to work with. jmo

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
Sanding and buffing works great on scratches on plastics. Works great on aircraft windows as well, they get pretty scratched up. A PPG buddy of mine told me to be sure to apply UV protector after sanding/buffing plastic lenses like these. He said the OEM has UV coating on the surface which you remove. If not reapplied the plastic will yellow. PPG paint stores usually carry the UV spray on.

Reactions: 2112

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
I polished my fog lamp lenses (inside and out) as well as my headlight lenses (just the outside), and then applied Xpel Ultimate ppf to keep them perfect for years. I buy bulk ppf on eBay; fairly inexpensive on the roll.

Reactions: 2112

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Practically all modern headlights have some kind of vent to allow moisture to escape. About the only things that don’t are “sealed beams”.

The only issue I have with my FGT headlights is that they fog up when driving in heavy rain.

They always seem to clear up without any residue so at this juncture, just a serious annoyance.

Z8 headlights on the other hand fog up with some type of mystery material that nobody has been able to identify.

More than an annoyance there.