2005 FGT starts but will not move

GTinTN

GT Owner
Jan 17, 2019
Brentwood, TN
I had not started my GT in about a month so I took off the cover, removed the trickle charger and visually checked the tires. I then got in and started the car. It always amazes me how the car immediately starts and gives off such a wonderful growl!
After letting it warm a short while, I put it in reverse, released the e-brake and as I engaged the clutch, I could hear the engine bog down and the car did not move. I got out and checked to see if anything was blocking the tires, and there was not. I got back in and tried again with the same result. I then shifted to 1st and again, the car would not budge. I tried engaging and releasing the e-brake to ensure it was not engaged. The dash light verified it was not. I shut down the engine and tried all above steps again with same result. I then shut off the car, put it in neutral with the e-brake off and attempted to push-pull the car by hand. Again, it would not budge.
Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I had not started my GT in about a month so I took off the cover, removed the trickle charger and visually checked the tires. I then got in and started the car. It always amazes me how the car immediately starts and gives off such a wonderful growl!
After letting it warm a short while, I put it in reverse, released the e-brake and as I engaged the clutch, I could hear the engine bog down and the car did not move. I got out and checked to see if anything was blocking the tires, and there was not. I got back in and tried again with the same result. I then shifted to 1st and again, the car would not budge. I tried engaging and releasing the e-brake to ensure it was not engaged. The dash light verified it was not. I shut down the engine and tried all above steps again with same result. I then shut off the car, put it in neutral with the e-brake off and attempted to push-pull the car by hand. Again, it would not budge.
Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Rotors have to be stuck to brake pads or a brake caliper is locked up. Jack each corner up one by one and check for which wheel is stuck.

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Axle bolts?

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Axle bolts?

states car wont move when shut off in neutral

Reactions: Kpgarage

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Did you wash the car or was it raining before putting the car away? if so maybe brake pads rusted to rotors.

Pilots here will know that you always drag the brakes before parking a plane if it is wet.

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Wonder if taking the wheels off like B.M.F said, but then get a bit of hard wood rod and whack on the pads one by one to unweld them from rotors?
Pistons shouldn't be locked out as they would've relaxed when you last parked it.

My car makes a crunch when backing out after its been washed and sat for a few days..
I now drive the car in the street for 1min in 1st with me on the brake and throttle to evap the residual water on the rotors.
Stuart

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Wet brakes can stick hard.

Reactions: tpraceman and PeteK

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
+ however many. Pads are stuck to the rotor. Be slightly more aggressive with your "launch" to break it free (I stress slightly). Happens often if you wash it and park it.

Reactions: Special K

69b302

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2021
Upstate NY
The GT book mentioned the E-brake sticking is a common problem, if set when wet, and left for a few weeks.

Reactions: PeteK

GTinTN

GT Owner
Jan 17, 2019
Brentwood, TN
Thanks to all for the quick responses.
The last time I had it out to a car show (about a month ago), it did drizzle and the road was wet. I believe you are correct regarding the brakes sticking. I was not thinking or I would have gotten an air gun out and blown out the water. Will try suggestion of more aggressive launch or will see if I can use a pry bar against the tires to rock the car while in neutral.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I personally would avoid a pry bar..... The car has the force to break things loose.

Reactions: 2112

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
A little "drop the clutch" effort in reverse (only reverse) would be the quickest way to break them/it free
I would like to see the vid of the "break loose" clutch drop (be prepared for loud breaking free noise if it works)..... please do a vid.
Would be a first on the forum.

Stu

Reactions: ScottK

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
All brakes on a given car have more power to haul a car down ....even with the foot to the floor at the same time.
Hope you win this engine/clutch/brake battle.
Would be nice to see the rears break free but fronts stay locked (first ever reverse burnout)

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
And this is why I "park" the car in neutral with the e-brake, not engaged!!!! That and if the brakes are hot, I don't think it wise to engage the e-brake.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
I agree with RPM.
Have used this method for years on all my cars. and boat(only kidding).
Best,
Mark

Tomcat

GT Owner
Anybody recommend a light tap on the caliper/disk with a rubber mallet? I'm guessing its surface rust on the disk(s).

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Car's junk now, I'll give you $100k and you can move on

Reactions: viva gt

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I know this has been discussed before, for this and other reasons unless my GT is really dirty, I “ dry wash” all my cars ( except daily drivers in the NE!) It’s usually only dust I am dealing with. Spraying water becomes and issue with the brakes also headlights ( moisture fogging them up)! My old collectible Alfas and water don’t mix! I know there are other owners who do the same!

Reactions: viva gt and Art138

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
And this is why I "park" the car in neutral with the e-brake, not engaged!!!! That and if the brakes are hot, I don't think it wise to engage the e-brake.
Your car has never rolled away? Maybe you carry chocks?
I always park in 1st with the e-brake off, unless on steep terrain.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
On the street, in 1st, no E-brake, unless on a hill. On my lift, in neutral, with wheel blocks , no E-brake

Reactions: HighHP