Tires?

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
Ordered mine at Discount Tire and had them the next day, fronts & rears. Apparently they changed the fronts they are a different number and no longer unidirectional due to building them for Porsche. The old fronts will have older date codes due to this.

My fronts are from 2020 and still the asymmetrical design. Still the same part number as well.

Did you specify the N-1 version?

Must be a real recent change.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Ordered mine at Discount Tire and had them the next day, fronts & rears. Apparently they changed the fronts they are a different number and no longer unidirectional due to building them for Porsche. The old fronts will have older date codes due to this.

The Potenza's for the GT have always been and continue to be asymmetrical but never directional. No doubts about what you were told - but the information is just inaccurate.

Reactions: Fiji_99

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
1616500634269.png

1616500694359.png

Are these the 2 correct tire sizes? Need to order a set.

Mule Air

Jan 28, 2019
Raleigh, NC
I ordered mine last week from Tire Rack. Customer service was pretty good. They had them in stock and estimated the manufacture date based on when they received them since they get them direct from Bridgestone. I was told they had a new shipment coming in two weeks and they would wait and send me those since they should be newer than what they currently have. They sent me a receipt that was noted this way and not to ship me anything older than mid 2020. We'll see what I actually get.

Reactions: extrap

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
On this general subject, when do you change the tires.....completely bald, at the wear bar (2/32 I think), or prior to that? I’m wondering about wet weather performance on the Bridgestone. My rears are sitting at 5/32 so I have a few minutes left on them.

Mule Air

Jan 28, 2019
Raleigh, NC
Unfortunately mine are being changed because of time (~5 years) and not wear.

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Doug,
They have a service where they will come to your house and do the installation. Not sure if its available everywhere. The guy that did my GT350R tires was really good. I was impressed.

I ordered mine last week from Tire Rack. Customer service was pretty good. They had them in stock and estimated the manufacture date based on when they received them since they get them direct from Bridgestone. I was told they had a new shipment coming in two weeks and they would wait and send me those since they should be newer than what they currently have. They sent me a receipt that was noted this way and not to ship me anything older than mid 2020. We'll see what I actually get.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Doug,
They have a service where they will come to your house and do the installation. Not sure if its available everywhere. The guy that did my GT350R tires was really good. I was impressed.

With the Bridgestones, I can see that being a win. You won't need road-force balancing or anything crazy like that.

Mule Air

Jan 28, 2019
Raleigh, NC
Thanks Bill. Good idea. I'll look into that.

I did that recently with 6 boat trailer tires from Goodyear, but it was something they offered only with the purchase. Nobody in the area wanted to jack up the trailer with the boat on it. The guy who showed up was fine with me pulling off one at a time so no jacking necessary. Easy and convenient.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
I just received a set of front Bridgestones from Tire Rack with late 2018 date codes.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
I just received a set of front Bridgestones from Tire Rack with late 2018 date codes.

Assuming yours will be replaced on miles, not time, that should be ok.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Assuming yours will be replaced on miles, not time, that should be ok.
Doubtful as I do not seem to get much front tire wear with street use. The rears are a different story.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I have used Radial / Discount tire for years. Best pricing and tire build dates
Ask for Bill or Paul
(301) 585-2740

Mule Air

Jan 28, 2019
Raleigh, NC
Just got mine today from Tire Rack

Wk28 2019 - Front, Wk28 2020 - Rear.

They called and asked before they shipped if I was ok with the build dates. I would have preferred newer, but mine are old and I didn't want to wait.

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I have a brand new set that have been in a climate controlled garage with the same late 18 date codes. It is my fault they were not put on the car a year ago. Are you going to use them? I'm thinking it would still be OK as I don't track or drive my car hard.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Jeez, keep some perspective. I’m sure the majority of tires on cars on the road are more than 3 years old. Use them. They ain’t gonna last that long on a GT if ya drive it!

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Just got mine today from Tire Rack

Wk28 2019 - Front, Wk28 2020 - Rear.

They called and asked before they shipped if I was ok with the build dates. I would have preferred newer, but mine are old and I didn't want to wait.
I just put on rears with the same build date!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I JUST GOT BUILD DATE 2020 Front and rears from RADIAL TIRE
1301 585-2740 ask for bill

Last edited:

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Yes I hear both fronts and rears are coming out now new.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
I have a brand new set that have been in a climate controlled garage with the same late 18 date codes. It is my fault they were not put on the car a year ago. Are you going to use them? I'm thinking it would still be OK as I don't track or drive my car hard.
Absolutely. They are already on the car. It seems to make more sense to replace tires based on their actual level of performance as opposed to some random interval of time.