Anyone else out there into boats?

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Gt@50...108, I am not worthy! I'll stay on the porch/deck/dock.
Not bad for GM engines a little under 700hp each.
Of course 2112's FORD powered is faster!
I'm sure there are others on here with some extreme go fasts.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Nice Formula! Always easy to pick out in a crowd. What motors?

Fountains are another easy one to spot with that bow. Beautiful boats.

I have a Contender 30 ST.

View attachment 62765
View attachment 62766
Much warmer blue!

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Did you guys ever notice that 95% of Boat guys love cars but only about 10% of car guys are into boats?
That 10% are smart!

Reactions: jrz

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
That's badass, but I think would look better in digital format. Fastest I've been on a boat is ~95 in an Eliminator. You are crazy! 42' Lightening has always been one of my favorite boats.

My last trip to the Bahamas and back below. I've only toped out at 69.4... not quite enough to round up. Not too bad for fishing boat with only 600hp total. Guess I only hit 63 on this trip.View attachment 62774
It's a 38' and older than my GT, 2002, so analog it is.
WOT 2 gallons 92 octane per mile lol
Measly 4# boost but 350 hours later all's good.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Not bad for GM engines a little under 700hp each.
Of course 2112's FORD powered is faster!
I'm sure there are others on here with some extreme go fasts.

Wow, Just 700? I would have guessed quite a bit more for a full cabin boat the same length as mine doing 108. I only weight 9000lbs fully wet.

How much change did switching to the IMCO drives and 5 blade surface cleavers net you?

Impressive.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Wow, Just 700? I would have guessed quite a bit more for a full cabin boat the same length as mine doing 108. I only weight 9000lbs fully wet.

How much change did switching to the IMCO drives and 5 blade surface cleavers net you?

Impressive.
Going from Imco -1 Extremes, 6bl Herings to Imco -4 SCX's, 5 bl Herings MPH stayed +/- 1 depending on day but I haven't had to idle back to the dock.
I think I'm 8500# dry plus 1400# fuel.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Going from Imco -1 Extremes, 6bl Herings to Imco -4 SCX's, 5 bl Herings MPH stayed +/- 1 depending on day but I haven't had to idle back to the dock.
I think I'm 8500# dry plus 1400# fuel.

I am impressed Rob. Good Rigging and driving. I know when I make a speed run, it takes every ounce of concentration. One wrong move......

I have the XR shortys and 4 blade props. It actually drives wonderfully with all -around great manners but I have seized a cone clutch before. Luckily in forward. As I mentioned, I always like the IMCO, only wish the XPower was a more serious player. IT would be a direct swap.

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Decided I’d give boating a try! Although like everything else in my life I have no desire to go fast in a boat ,as I am a novice boater. So I joined Freedom boat club.

Mule Air

Jan 28, 2019
Raleigh, NC
I used to have a Fountain. One that I custom ordered new and had to completely disassemble and reconstruct due to the horrible quality of construction. Yes, rebuild the stringers, bulkheads and entire deck.

Was that before or after they went bankrupt and Reggie sold?

Tomcat

GT Owner
Did you guys ever notice that 95% of Boat guys love cars but only about 10% of car guys are into boats?
It probably comes down to convenience and access. Virtually all car people have a garage but a lot less have convenient access to water. I grew up in Florida and lived in San Diego... So I have water/ocean in my earliest/fondest memories.

Reactions: extrap

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Was that before or after they went bankrupt and Reggie sold?

Had the boat made in 1998. I paid for all the upgrades to construction available at the time. For example, vacuum bagging the lay-up was an extra $10K at that time. Now that's standard operating procedure.

I complained immediately. After about a year of back and forth, they came all the way out to get the boat to fix it.

It sat in Washington N.C. For over a year before I went and got it back and just fixed it myself. Thankfully, the Hull itself was done very well.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
I am impressed Rob. Good Rigging and driving. I know when I make a speed run, it takes every ounce of concentration. One wrong move......

I have the XR shortys and 4 blade props. It actually drives wonderfully with all -around great manners but I have seized a cone clutch before. Luckily in forward. As I mentioned, I always like the IMCO, only wish the XPower was a more serious player. IT would be a direct swap.
Yes, very sensitive at 100. At 108 it seemed to relax. I've heard that boats will have an "Oh crap" zone. I think mine's at 100-104.

Mule Air

Jan 28, 2019
Raleigh, NC
Had the boat made in 1998. I paid for all the upgrades to construction available at the time. For example, vacuum bagging the lay-up was an extra $10K at that time. Now that's standard operating procedure.

I complained immediately. After about a year of back and forth, they came all the way out to get the boat to fix it.

It sat in Washington N.C. For over a year before I went and got it back and just fixed it myself. Thankfully, the Hull itself was done very well.

Wow. That sucks to have such a bad experience on something like that. You paid for the best and obviously didn't get it. I thought they were supposed to be very well built boats at that time and a great company to work with too. I've been to that factory in Washington. Pretty neat.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Wow. That sucks to have such a bad experience on something like that. You paid for the best and obviously didn't get it. I thought they were supposed to be very well built boats at that time and a great company to work with too. I've been to that factory in Washington. Pretty neat.

My feeling was if I were to have paid them to rig my boat with big power (which could double or triple the price) I would have received a better product. The boat was certainly cutting edge bottom technology for 1998. It was fast.

I rig my own boats. I just did not want what they had to offer in that department.

I would bet if you bought a 42' Lightning with big Mercury power, the quality of your boat would be a whole lot better than mine was.

My Warlock (1st boat) and Cigarette were both extremely well constructed.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Yes, very sensitive at 100. At 108 it seemed to relax. I've heard that boats will have an "Oh crap" zone. I think mine's at 100-104.

My Cig is on Rails the entire way. What makes me nervous is Debris or a rogue roller I don't see until it is too late.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
My Cig is on Rails the entire way. What makes me nervous is Debris or a rogue roller I don't see until it is too late.
Mine feels like it's on one rail until that 108. Before the SCX's it felt better.
Ask my gimbal ring about a rogue wave at 90. Idled around the corner to go through the locks. Trim indicators were off, stuck maybe, so I kept trimming up and down and they realigned. Idled through the cut and took it easy to Coulon just cause, long day. I didn't realize it was broken until I put the boat on the trailer and saw the drives not parallel. Big rings now.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Re the 95%/10%: Probably also true of airplanes.

Reactions: 2112

Tomcat

GT Owner
Is Todd Crossley here? See attached...NFGT 41 Apache.jpg

Reactions: GT@50

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Here’s a boat story! A friend of mine just won this 1956 Criss Craft 26 ft. Continental in a Raffle drawing after purchasing just one $50.00 ticket which I sold to her last month! The owner donated it to Keels & Wheels for the raffle and I found out that he is the owner of Custom Air-conditioning in San Antonio who designed and built the Air conditioners for all the Ford GT’s. He put Air-conditioning in this boat because his wife’s wanted cold air blowing in her face while riding the lakes of Texas! How’s that for a boat story?

Attachments

• BF44B777-4292-4FBA-A32B-56ED04ECAA35.jpeg
    BF44B777-4292-4FBA-A32B-56ED04ECAA35.jpeg
    457.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 819FBCE0-1380-4227-B0F6-671FAAB53E7E.jpeg
    819FBCE0-1380-4227-B0F6-671FAAB53E7E.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 11

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I thought it was Vintage Air that built our HVAC units. Learn something new every day.

😎

Reactions: Empty Pockets