A solution to valve cover bolt Corrosion......ARP replacements

Tiny

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2012
Silicon Valley
so 10 Nm, am I the only one who doesn't own a torque wrench that goes this low? I have 3 and none get even close!!!

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
so 10 Nm, am I the only one who doesn't own a torque wrench that goes this low? I have 3 and none get even close!!!

I'd suggest you buy a 4th torque wrench for 3/8 inch sockets. They are in "inch pounds" instead of "foot pounds." They are easily purchased at any tools supply store like SEARS, Harbor Frieght, Northern Tools, etc.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Or just set your wrench for 7.25 ft lbs

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Or just set your wrench for 7.25 ft lbs

My understanding is he has 3 torque wrenches that can't be set to 10nm, so my interpretation is he cannot set his wrenches to 7.25 inch pounds. A inch pound torque wrench would be a good addition to any wrench turner's tool box.

Tiny

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2012
Silicon Valley
correct, besides 10nm (or 7.25 ft/lbs) is basically my finger tight torque :)

My understanding is he has 3 torque wrenches that can't be set to 10nm, so my interpretation is he cannot set his wrenches to 7.25 inch pounds. A inch pound torque wrench would be a good addition to any wrench turner's tool box.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Post brought back to life. Any bolts around still?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I am all out. I believe Bill Knobloch had more made. You might try him at (916)764-4308

Reactions: tpraceman

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

When something like this pops up and I think back to when these cars were new or nearly so it's amazing how much aftermarket stuff was produced for 4038 cars. I miss having all those items available. These bolts were fantastic and mine still look great today. I'm pretty sure I bought at least one of everything ever made for the '06 Ford GT. Cheers.

Chip

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Ditto here Chip!
I got shed full of parts!
I bet I got 50k+ of GT parts!

Tomcat

GT Owner
Post brought back to life. Any bolts around still?
I went through this about 2-3 years ago. I believe I got the last of these from ARP. They (my contact at ARP) actually scrounged together enough from the first pre-production batch that were rejected because the "lightening divot" was not perfect enough (for their quality control).

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I went through this about 2-3 years ago. I believe I got the last of these from ARP. They (my contact at ARP) actually scrounged together enough from the first pre-production batch that were rejected because the "lightening divot" was not perfect enough (for their quality control).

Well, that is one spin on it. And it is not accurate.

The first production run was sent to me without the "lightening divot" and I rejected them. It was the feed attachment left over from the actual cutting of the bolt. On their other products, they polish this surface. The rough area was very inconsistent so a simple polish wasn't going to fix the problem. It was my suggestion to do the divot as that would remove all the scarring from the original cutting.

(I posted pictures of all this but I think they have been removed when all the old threads were cleaned up and melded together.)

I was told they put the divots into the original bolts, but it now seems they just made new bolts and sold the rejects over the years.

Last edited:

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
maybe they will make a few more for us. I would take two sets.

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
2112, Id buy another set or two.. Again thank you for all your leg work on procuring these for the forum.. :)

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I am all out. I believe Bill Knobloch had more made. You might try him at (916)764-4308

Tomcat

GT Owner
Well, that is one spin on it. And it is not accurate.

The first production run was sent to me without the "lightening divot" and I rejected them. It was the feed attachment left over from the actual cutting of the bolt. On their other products, they polish this surface. The rough area was very inconsistent so a simple polish wasn't going to fix the problem. It was my suggestion to do the divot as that would remove all the scarring from the original cutting.

(I posted pictures of all this but I think they have been removed when all the old threads were cleaned up and melded together.)

I was told they put the divots into the original bolts, but it now seems they just made new bolts and sold the rejects over the years.
Thanks for the first-person clarification...and thank you for the original effort to get these. Although mine are not perfect, they are an improvement (in my opinion) over the originals as they age.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
At this point, it isn't really that important. ARP did stand behind the product and gave us a much-improved bolt. Tho initially shocked that I was rejecting $13,000 in bolts over a cosmetic issue, they did not try to blame me. In a professional manner, they worked with me until we had a solution.

There is a reason they are considered the best.

Interestingly, the divot was a compromise I suggested to fix the original shipment of otherwise good bolts. Until now, I had no idea they remade the bolts entirely. Their standard finish is a flat, polished head. If they had remade them, I am surprised they just did not utilize that finish. It had to be less labor-intensive than to do the divots.

Either way, we came out ahead. I think the divot makes it even cooler and lady luck was on our side that we ended up with them that way.

Reactions: tpraceman

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Mike, I sent Bill a text. thanks for the info.

FYI, My company makes the stamps that do the marking on the bolts. ARP & Mac fastener are both a class act.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
FYI, My company makes the stamps that do the marking on the bolts. ARP & Mac fastener are both a class act.

Very cool.

Made in America! 🇺🇸

It would be nice if someone would post photos of these bolts to show exactly what's being discussed and the differences between good and bad ...

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
It would be nice if someone would post photos of these bolts to show exactly what's being discussed and the differences between good and bad ...

Attachments

• IMG_1356.JPG
    IMG_1356.JPG
    384 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Nafod