Any new rotor options?

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
I've cracked my second set of oem rotors (many, many trips above 200mph)...just pricing out options here..

Girodisc..$1000/pr
Brembo...$1800/pr
Kohr...$1000/pr

Any other options of importance? Or sources at under $1000 for a set of fronts?

As much as I enjoy the look of the cross drilled, I'm probably going to use just slotted this time. I've had micro-cracks at the cross drilled points

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
StormCat adapted Chevy carbon ceramic for our cars. Look for his post here.

Reactions: Ed Sims

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
My preference is direct replacement, but I'll look into it.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I have the girodisc on the front, they have fared well over the couple rally track days of heavy use (calipers used to be silver).

IMG_8177.JPG

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I do the Carbon ceramic conversion to them. I've probably done 5-7 cars now. Its a big expense but its the only way to go on these cars. It improves the car 100% in the braking department.

xrayman396

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2006
Bucks County Pa
I have very good longevity, more than twice as long , By having a set of new rotors cryogenically treated and using Carbone Lorraine (CL) brake pads

Reactions: steved57

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
I'd do the cf option but then I'm looking at new wheels and tires as well. So will likely be sirect replacement.

Anyone have best source for girodisc?

Thanks guys

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
I have very good longevity, more than twice as long , By having a set of new rotors cryogenically treated and using Carbone Lorraine (CL) brake pads
Wjere would i send my rotors for this?

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
I do the Carbon ceramic conversion to them. I've probably done 5-7 cars now. Its a big expense but its the only way to go on these cars. It improves the car 100% in the braking department.
What's the cost of the conversion, and subsequent rotors?

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
I'd do the cf option but then I'm looking at new wheels and tires as well. So will likely be sirect replacement.

Anyone have best source for girodisc?

Thanks guys

I looked into these a few years ago before the Salt Lake rally. Girodisc was a direct sell at 500 per wheel. Place I sometime use for Mustang brakes is K & N Brakes in North Carolina. They started to carry Girodisk, but their price was the same as girodisc
Haven't found anyone that discounts the rotors, but i haven't looked in the last year.

Stormcat's carbon setup would be cool, but does require his wheels for clearance (thus new tires as you stated) and he hadn't come up with a e-brake solution last I talked with him about it. I think others that do them, mod/weld the spindle to make the setup work(but I'm not positive about that). They may have come up with a different solution.

My next rotors will be the girodisc.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I looked into these a few years ago before the Salt Lake rally. Girodisc was a direct sell at 500 per wheel. Place I sometime use for Mustang brakes is K & N Brakes in North Carolina. They started to carry Girodisk, but their price was the same as girodisc
Haven't found anyone that discounts the rotors, but i haven't looked in the last year.

Stormcat's carbon setup would be cool, but does require his wheels for clearance (thus new tires as you stated) and he hadn't come up with a e-brake solution last I talked with him about it. I think others that do them, mod/weld the spindle to make the setup work(but I'm not positive about that). They may have come up with a different solution.

My next rotors will be the girodisc.

I'm the only other person that has done it. I've done it for heffner 3/4 cars and others. I mod the uprights so that way if there is an issue with a caliper you can get one from a gm dealer and bolt it on versus having it re machined. I also have parking brake piece now. I recommend running the rear rotors square on the gt and that gives better options for wheels, possible could run the stocks up front. i could check on that with my car as i run the 15.5 in the back and the 15'' up front on my car. Works amazing as well. I have 20'' front and 21 rears so the 15.5 rears fill a little better than the smaller rotors.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
Oreilly's has both front and rear cross-drilled rotors for $110 each. Not sure that's what you want, but for the price, might be worth a try. Then again, if you are running over 200 mph, maybe not worth a try.

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
Lol i think ill pass on oreillys

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
I've got another airport event coming up, 2.5 miles...so will regretfully pass on that option

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Used to be Coleman would custom make any brake rotor you wanted. They were even 2 piece rotors.
I'd bet someone here has the specs for the rotors.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Again, Girodisc on the front, stock rears (bought direct) Padgid yellow pads, and Castrol SRF fluid. I went through I think 2 sets of OEM rotors (didnt like the cracking). The Padgid Yellow was 4th pad I tried, and lasted and worked the best. Note the yellow is not a race pad, and is totally streetable (true race pads are not good on the street as they need to be hot to work well). Ive driven Stormcats car on track, CCB's are fantastic, but not right for our car.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I like the CF option. They are amazing!

Ed

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Does Brembo make rears ? I have their slotted fronts on my car, and would be nice to have matching

Last edited:

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
You may be able to track down a set of AP Racing brakes. They include rotors and calipers, but will fit under the stock wheels.