What would you have done differently for your first 1000 miles?

jnirenstein

GT Owner
May 3, 2014
Norcal
Gentlemen, As someone who is waiting to take delivery of his car, I'm wondering from those of you out there with miles on them if there are any things you might recommend (or wish you had done!) now that you have experience with the car. Examples like: Putting PPF on it before logging any significant miles, Buying "Vent screens?" (something I remember reading here but can't find) about screens for keeping rocks out of the side intakes. PPF'ing the undercarriage, Door sills, or ANY other suggestions that might be valuable... Opinions welcome!
Cheers,
john

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I’m just at 1000 miles. I used PPF everywhere except the belly pans. Double layer on the CF door sills, fender lips and door vent channels. Use Stormcat’s precut Clearplex windshield protector. Definitely use the vent screens. You will not believe the amount of crap they stop from hitting your paint. PPF the interior sills. I don’t recommend driving the car much without all of the above. At this point, there’s nothing that I haven’t done that I wish I did.

Reactions: Apollo

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
Great question John. Congratulations on you allocation.

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
I concur with Sinovac. About the only thing I’d do differently is i would get titanium screws for the screens instead of the ones supplied. They are rusting and everyone points that out.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I would get my delivery dealer to include the 1st oil change (as Ford should have done).

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Good luck on that one! How many have had the delivering Dealer fill your GT up at delivery since they barely have enough fuel to get them off the transport?

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Good points made above. I just wish I'd driven my car more in the first 1000 miles 😂

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Since the subject is coming up. Just received delivery of my beauty. Looking back at the entire process for the most part incredible experience! Thanks to ford for opportunity!! Concierge (Philip) outstanding, multimatic visit so special! ( thanks Pearce!!).
Only negative experience was the dealer! I decided to go to closest servicing dealer since I thought to give business to them since they are making the investment to service the car and start a relation with them. When finalizing paperwork , there were additional charges for “paperwork “ ($450) , registration etc. when questioned ( others reported no additional charges,) head salesperson answer was they felt frustrated they could not charge more than list as they do from their other dealerships ( Lamborghini etc, multi brand dealership). I informed them other Ford dealers were providing extras such as original art, watches etc. . And are present for delivery.! Dealership I used was not available. I realize not much in grand picture of the cars price, more the attitude is disturbing!
Would recommend, buy through your local dealer if you have a good relationship, or use a dealer who has done many deliveries and know how to treat a special customer for a special car. Just my $.02.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I concur with Sinovac. About the only thing I’d do differently is i would get titanium screws for the screens instead of the ones supplied. They are rusting and everyone points that out.

The OEM screws are just long enough to work. Put them on.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Believe me Delivering Dealers are paid by Ford Motor Co Very handsomely to deliver these New Ford GT’s! Guess who is paying this fee? It’s included in the price of the vehicle! If you can’t establish a relationship with a particular delivering dealer find one you can! Your not just purchasing a base Ford Pickup! Extra Special Treatment should be apparent in this special handling and delivery by every dealer!

Last edited:
Reactions: 93extxdps

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
I concur with the above advise. We have let so many people drive the GT and it has been wonderful seeing the expressions on their faces. Monica and I have done some lead follow going to places and sometimes it is almost preferable to drive behind and watch the GT in action, and seeing the expressions of people as the GT is driving along. Highly recommend that experience as you put the 1st 1000 on.

Side note for any of you lucky enough to be blessed with future orders - There are some wonderful dealers out there that do fantastic jobs, but unless you are extremely confident with the dealer you are thinking of working with, and even if you have a smidge of doubt, I highly recommend Kevin at Milliken. We know of several GT firends that have had their GTs through Kevin, and all have had exceptional experiences, including ours. They have delivered more NFGTs than anyone else. Do yourself a favor and at least talk to Kevin if you are in the queue and have not cemented your decision.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Nothing

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Record the instruction.
I'm still trying to figure out how to use launch control.

Reactions: Nafod

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
I concur with the above advise. We have let so many people drive the GT and it has been wonderful seeing the expressions on their faces. Monica and I have done some lead follow going to places and sometimes it is almost preferable to drive behind and watch the GT in action, and seeing the expressions of people as the GT is driving along. Highly recommend that experience as you put the 1st 1000 on.

Side note for any of you lucky enough to be blessed with future orders - There are some wonderful dealers out there that do fantastic jobs, but unless you are extremely confident with the dealer you are thinking of working with, and even if you have a smidge of doubt, I highly recommend Kevin at Milliken. We know of several GT firends that have had their GTs through Kevin, and all have had exceptional experiences, including ours. They have delivered more NFGTs than anyone else. Do yourself a favor and at least talk to Kevin if you are in the queue and have not cemented your decision.

+1

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
I would have ordered two (2) Heritages, instead of one.

Reactions: scode and Apollo

knightka

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 6, 2015
Los Altos, CA

+ 1 Kevin has been first class before, during and after delivery. I’m in California, their in Michigan, if I could do it all over again I wouldn’t do it any other way.

Reactions: Ed Sims and Apollo

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
+ 1 Kevin has been first class before, during and after delivery. I’m in California, their in Michigan, if I could do it all over again I wouldn’t do it any other way.

Ditto. Best dealer experience I have had - Kevin at Milliken

Reactions: Ed Sims

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Since the subject is coming up. Just received delivery of my beauty. Looking back at the entire process for the most part incredible experience! Thanks to ford for opportunity!! Concierge (Philip) outstanding, multimatic visit so special! ( thanks Pearce!!).
Only negative experience was the dealer! I decided to go to closest servicing dealer since I thought to give business to them since they are making the investment to service the car and start a relation with them. When finalizing paperwork , there were additional charges for “paperwork “ ($450) , registration etc. when questioned ( others reported no additional charges,) head salesperson answer was they felt frustrated they could not charge more than list as they do from their other dealerships ( Lamborghini etc, multi brand dealership). I informed them other Ford dealers were providing extras such as original art, watches etc. . And are present for delivery.! Dealership I used was not available. I realize not much in grand picture of the cars price, more the attitude is disturbing!
Would recommend, buy through your local dealer if you have a good relationship, or use a dealer who has done many deliveries and know how to treat a special customer for a special car. Just my $.02.

Gene how about some pictures?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I took the advice of not using sport mode Until the 200 mile mark
I believe that was great advice
Just a FYI
I use WET mode in traffic, pulling in my drive way, putting it on my lift , trailer and if it not completely warmed up when I start driving.
The biggest problem I have is,I cannot stop driving it! Up to 3,600 miles since mid April!
EPIC LIke no other

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I had Milliken Ford for my delivery dealer. They did all the CA paperwork/DMV. Constant text updates on my GT, dinner for my family/friends, a custom one off original painting of my GT, hats/shirts, etc were all part of Milliken treating you like a rock star. Even after the delivery they have helped me with parts. If you aren't getting your GT from Milliken you are making a mistake.

Ed

PS I think the humidity is the culprit Maxemus! We have no rust in California.