Windshield Breakage

Fyr-FtrGT

GT Owner, BofD
Mark IV Lifetime
May 28, 2006
Walnut Creek, California
Just learned of a NFGT that is in the shop with a broken windshield. Had an item on the dash, hit the brakes, the item hit the windshield and broke it. Minimum of 20 hours to fix, plus windshield. Be careful out there.

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Ouch in more ways than one!

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I heard its 30k to replace it from another owner that had to replace one.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Not related; but Letting your windshield wiper snap hard against windshield is a risk too.

Buddy’s Ferrari’s had garage attendant slip monthly bill under his wiper and let it snap hard / cracking it (twice). Denied it of course.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Some wild numbers posted here.

Stormcat has one in his shop to use as a Clearplex mold. IDK what it cost, but let's say a totally outrageous $5k for argument.

That means $25k labor. $25k/20 hours = $1,250/hr. Not bad!

Except that 20 hours labor is also crazy.

Anybody know anything factual? If any of these numbers are true, this is mind bending.

Florida has zero deductible windshield replacement. Can't wait to read about GT claims.

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
I mentioned earlier how Steve explicitly warned me not to put any weight on the windshield. I know several that have placed radar detectors and cameras on theirs. These folks are playing Russian roulette.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Some wild numbers posted here.

Stormcat has one in his shop to use as a Clearplex mold. IDK what it cost, but let's say a totally outrageous $5k for argument.

That means $25k labor. $25k/20 hours = $1,250/hr. Not bad!

Except that 20 hours labor is also crazy.

Anybody know anything factual? If any of these numbers are true, this is mind bending.

Florida has zero deductible windshield replacement. Can't wait to read about GT claims.

Its more than 20 hours labor i hear....

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I mentioned earlier how Steve explicitly warned me not to put any weight on the windshield. I know several that have placed radar detectors and cameras on theirs. These folks are playing Russian roulette.

I think he meant don't let bikini babes sit on it.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
“Bikini babes” is not a unit of measure

Based on booties I’ve seen posted here; range is +/- 100lbs.

Reactions: Xcentric

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Lightweight booties. Heritage booties. Competition booties. Longtail booties.

CanadaGT

GT Owner
Sep 28, 2006
Edmonton Alberta
windshield retails for $2531 cad. So $1900 USD. Not really too bad. No part number yet for clamshell window, which is plastic.

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
windshield retails for $2531 cad. So $1900 USD. Not really too bad. No part number yet for clamshell window, which is plastic.
Thought clamshell was also gorilla?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I'm not sure if rear glass is Gorilla or regular glass. Maybe only windshield is Gorilla glass. Side & rear glass regular? LW & CE models are plastic rear.

Ed

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Just learned of a NFGT that is in the shop with a broken windshield. Had an item on the dash, hit the brakes, the item hit the windshield and broke it. Minimum of 20 hours to fix, plus windshield. Be careful out there.
Is this fake news? Kind of hard to believe.

Ed

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Lots of labor to get the front clip off and back on. Not including the labor to get the Windshield out and cleaned up.
On Standard Gt's the Front Windshield and rear hatch have Gorilla Glass on the inside layer only. It's very ridged and Brittle.. As stated in post #1 It was struck from the inside. More vulnerable than being struck from the outside. My GT wouldn't leave the garage until I had a Clearplex film on it..
The front and rear glass is very thin. many a rear hatch have been broken for many reasons mostly slamming..

Last edited:
Reactions: THamonGT

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota

Ed

Clear bra installer dropped a tool on another windshield and it broke. I was told the bill was 30k to replace with labor straight from the owner..

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
It is not remotely in the ballpark, or universe, of $30,000.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Besides Clearplex, what kind of precautions should one take with this windscreen?

Fyr-FtrGT

GT Owner, BofD
Mark IV Lifetime
May 28, 2006
Walnut Creek, California

Ed
Nope . . . not fake news. I took pictures of the damaged windshield, talked to the service techs who told me what happened and what it would cost to repair. Of course I will not post any pictures of a damaged car that is not my own. And the main reason of posting this in the first place was to advise NGT owners of the possibility of this happening when storing items on the dash, such as a cell phone, which of course most GT owners would not do. But I have had riders in my car set their phones on the dash to adjust their seat belt or to clear their hands, but not anymore.

Reactions: FGT899 and THamonGT

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
I am still looking for someone to install Clearplex in Michigan