Is the '05-06 GT passé ?

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Nice shots

People in Cali who have seen the new GT at petersen museum / auto shows tell me they think it looks like every other new exotic...

While '05-'06 is Iconic

Unsolicited feedback ...

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I saw the new GT at Daytona last weekend & I was blown away at how amazing it looked. It really is the car of today. A hint of the past but solidly in the present. I wasn't a fan initially but, in person, it is jaw dropping. The white color helped. Yes, our '05-06 GTs will forever be a Ford flagship car with an undisputed heritage but the new GT will continue to carry the Ford banner of "Raced on Sunday & Sold on Monday" for the new generation!

Ed

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
Great pics Ed and good to see you in Daytona. I agree on all points stayed in this thread. I, like many others, will fill out the application in high hopes. If it does not happen, I still have my "old" GT's and will be completely happy. Those pics remind me of Rally 8, one of my favorites.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
When I saw the title, I was worried that I need to sell my car, glad the verdict is the opposite :willy

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
No way, our current cars have a friendliness that the new car will not possess. Get in, push start button, enjoy. The new car is going to be much more intense, small passenger compartment, race car on the street. I hope to experience it 1st hand, but it will never replace the 05.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Passe' - not!

The reception our GT's get, from all age groups, from Men, Women and children is so special. The WOW factor is unending.

I got back from Daytona late last week. A roughly 6,000 mile road trip, California to Florida and back. The waves, smiles thumbs up's, pictures and video's were constant.

Except for one Corvette driver in Daytona, with his really "cool" Corvette with quite few bling mod's , who we saw take a peek in his mirror, and then for the next 3-4 miles starred straight ahead trying to ignore the GT, like he had a total neck fusion recently done, rather than acknowledge the GT as a way cool car. Which it is!

Thanks to Camilo for the spectacular design and thanks to Ford for building it.

I enjoy the ride!

And like Specracer, and that very special Ed, the new GT in pure white was shockingly good. Another Ford home run in car design.

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Great Pictures Ed.. I guess it was a weekend to drive the cars, reflect and enjoy them..oh,, and take some pictures. I took this yesterday at the lake in front of my office..

After almost 10 years of Ownership I love my car more now that when I got it.. Like many of us I've transformed it to make it my own.. A Slightly tweaked the timeless beauty.. As SteveA's wife would say... still gives me wood...:biggrin

It was great to see you all at Daytona !! :thumbsup

Attachments

• 2016 GT Lake Tire Ltrs 1.jpg
    2016 GT Lake Tire Ltrs 1.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Well written Ed.

Had mine out for a couple hours on Sunday as well. Amazing all the thumbs up the GT gets from drivers passing by. I probably got 4-5 and I only drove around 40 miles. Nothing else like it on the road. The new GT is certain to capture the imagination of generations to come. I know it does for me.

Vince H

You guys need to stop dreaming of the new White GT. That one was made for me.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
"Except for one Corvette driver ..."

There's always one.
In the summer of '09, I went to a pretty nice and diverse show here in Barrington. Always a few Ferraris, some other classics, Shelby's (both real and replica), and he assorted muscle cars. A new '09 ZR1 was parked near the entrance to the lot. The owner was still in the car and fawning over it, when I showed up in my no stripe blue GT. It was as if he was driving a Rambler; the crowd descended on my GT. My older son went over to the ZR1 and commented about how nice the car was, especially the see through hood. The guy woudn't even address my son, seeing as he came from the Ford...
The original is timeless, the 05-06s are just as, and the new one is state of the art with just enough heritage built in to let you know where it came from. None of these cars will ever get old.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Is the '05-06 GT passé ?

I think not as well. I have been driving mine for the past week or two every day while one of my cars is in the shop. I can't believe how many thumbs up and people chasing me to take photos. It is a timeless design... I will never part with it.

I 've been thinking about taking my GT to Carmel and stop along side of the road (highway 1) in a few places and take a photo or two with my drone. Have to find a place that it isn't against the law to fly... some coastal areas restrict drone flying

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Hey, what's wrong with a Rambler?

Howard

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
After seeing the new GT in Detroit: incredible (want one bad!!). However seeing the 05-06 side by side with the new GT and the lemans winner, I thought to myself how will they all age in 10 or 20 yrs; obvious how the lemans winner has done, but I think the 05-06 design may actually age better, the rear "hips" (as Camillo referred to them) are timeless and sexy! The new design is "demonic"! My opinion anyway!

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Howard, you made me laugh out loud!

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Passe' - Hardly not as I do not believe I am exaggerating when I say driving from Texas to Daytona and back (approx 2300 miles) my picture/ video was taken over a hundred times. I love love love the new car but ours have set their place in time in stone. When I arrived home I was a little disappointed the trip was over.
Ed your car pics on the PCH look fabulous in fact I'm a little jealous I mean what a place to enjoy the GT

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Wow! At 80mph that would have taken you over 15 ½ hours... With no stops... I could never do that

I just finally really read your post Awsum. LOL. 300 miles only takes 5 hours at 60 mph. I stopped for lunch in Jenner & looked out over the ocean (having Tomales Bay oysters of course). I also stopped by Wine Country Motorsports at Sears Point Raceway & talked with the guys for half an hour. They were at the 24 Hour Rolex race but were too busy working to talk a lot. With the photo stops & talking to everyone about the car, as always, I made it an 8 hour drive.

Ed

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Nice trip, Ed! Wish I could have accompanied you. Unfortunately, my car is buried in the garage for awhile, so I skied over the weekend, and snowmobiled on Friday and today.

Glad your car is back to 100% from the GT Guys - they're the best!

Doesn't look like an early Spring yet, so the #2 car will have to stay garage-bound for a while more. I just go out and look at her and dream of adding some more miles to her ever increasing odometer. I'm thinking of a Spring trip up to Portola, Quincy & Almanor - then down to Yuba City and Grass Valley.

Glad you could get your gal out - upper CA-1 is a great drive!

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
I love the 05/06. We all need another......

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Nice trip, Ed! Wish I could have accompanied you. Unfortunately, my car is buried in the garage for awhile, so I skied over the weekend, and snowmobiled on Friday and today.

Glad your car is back to 100% from the GT Guys - they're the best!

Doesn't look like an early Spring yet, so the #2 car will have to stay garage-bound for a while more. I just go out and look at her and dream of adding some more miles to her ever increasing odometer. I'm thinking of a Spring trip up to Portola, Quincy & Almanor - then down to Yuba City and Grass Valley.

Glad you could get your gal out - upper CA-1 is a great drive!

Stop by our place at Almanor!

Ed

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
I just finally really read your post Awsum. LOL. 300 miles only takes 5 hours at 60 mph. I stopped for lunch in Jenner & looked out over the ocean (having Tomales Bay oysters of course). I also stopped by Wine Country Motorsports at Sears Point Raceway & talked with the guys for half an hour. They were at the 24 Hour Rolex race but were too busy working to talk a lot. With the photo stops & talking to everyone about the car, as always, I made it an 8 hour drive.

Ed

Ed, He was responding to GTJoey's thread, not your 300 mile drive, "Ed, I just drove 1,250 miles in one day from my parents in Palm beach To New York. At 3 am people would pull right up and video in the dark. The car as you stated is timeless. The new one will have its place, but the 05/06 is now set in stone.
I like Jeff L. challenge anyone else with any other sports car to drive that long and have the same feeling as the GT. Just an incredible car.
GTJOEYECOBOOST1314 "

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
I also took mine out yesterday, got cornered by a fan, and ended up talking to him for over an hour about the car. People really love this car, young, middle, and old alike. When people show interest and ask if they can take a picture, I usually open the doors and clam shell so they can get a good view of everything. They really appreciate it.