Resting Your Hand on the Shifter

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I am surprised I never heard this before (and/or never really thought about it) but it is a very bad idea to rest your hand on the shifter. It partially engages the synchronizers and causes the fork pads (I don't know what they are) to wear out prematurely, as well as the synchronizer and gear teeth. I have never really dug into a transmission so they are a bit foreign to me.

Here is where I got the info:
http://shiftsst.com/blog/332-tech-tip-never-rest-your-hand-on-the-shifter?

I'd love to hear why this does or doesn't apply to our transmission.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I am surprised I never heard this before (and/or never really thought about it) but it is a very bad idea to rest your hand on the shifter. It partially engages the synchronizers and causes the fork pads (I don't know what they are) to wear out prematurely, as well as the synchronizer and gear teeth. I have never really dug into a transmission so they are a bit foreign to me.

Here is where I got the info:
http://shiftsst.com/blog/332-tech-tip-never-rest-your-hand-on-the-shifter?

I'd love to hear why this does or doesn't apply to our transmission.

I catch myself doing it, especially in stop-n-go driving. I was doing it at the track in a portion of the track (not Rally 9) that involved three very closely spaced shifts and the instructor, slapped my hand.

In general, I think it's something best to avoid

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I thought everyone knew that. You need that hand for texting, eating, etc.

EDIT: roketman told me to put my hand on the wheel, and it wasn't because it was on his leg. It had to do with car control, not trans wear.

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I thought everyone knew that. You need that hand for texting, eating, etc.

And in the GT, for holding your cup of coffee.

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
This week in Phoenix if you rest your hand on the shifter it will burn your fingers like BBQ'd hotdogs! I think we made 113 so far today.

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
My guess is that this wouldn't apply to a transaxle actuated by cables.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Many years ago GM had this problem with Corvette transmissions.

Lots of warrantee dollars. Did some field checking and found that many drivers were resting their hands on the shift knob, causing pre-mature wear etc.

Solution of the day was to redesign the shift knob. Went away from the traditional round ball and came up with a semi-T "ball" that was uncomfortable to rest hands upon it. Syncro wear went to nearly nil.

In our GT's, and others with remote transmissions, to the best of my knowledge this isn't an issue.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Your hands work better on the steering wheel !

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
My guess is that this wouldn't apply to a transaxle actuated by cables.

There is still a connection with the transmission so yes it does apply.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
A true GT tech or Ricardo expert would probably be best source of info on this topic. I suspect we could all speculate... :facepalm:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
A true GT tech or Ricardo expert would probably be best source of info on this topic. I suspect we could all speculate... :facepalm:

My speculation is that you can rest your hand on the shifter with zero problems as long as you don't move the shifter from its natural position in that gear or the input and output shafts aren't turning.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Never rest your hands on the steering wheel. It will wear out all of the front suspension joints, steering rack, and power steering pump.

Feet cause problems too. Never rest your right foot on the throttle. It will wear out the entire drive train! True fact! ;)

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
^^^^ Too much time in the Florida sun.

Howard

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
"It partially engages the synchronizers and causes the fork pads (I don't know what they are) to wear out prematurely, as well as the synchronizer and gear teeth."

'Sounds more than a bit "Alice in Wonderland" to me.

'Have rested my hand on the shifter of every std shift car I've ever owned and I've n-e-v-e-r had to repair any of them.

Some of those cars were driven over 100,000 miles.

As regards the FGT's tranny specifically; it seems more than a bit odd to me that its Recardo can withstand a couple thousand h.p. and a trainload of torque with no problem at all...but, it might fall apart if one rests his hand on its shifter. :skep "'Know what I mean, Vern?" ('Too old a reference, perhaps?)

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Somehow I don't believe you...

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Somehow I don't believe you...

I'd need an 'aid car' if you DID!

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
"It partially engages the synchronizers and causes the fork pads (I don't know what they are) to wear out prematurely, as well as the synchronizer and gear teeth."

'Sounds more than a bit "Alice in Wonderland" to me.

'Have rested my hand on the shifter of every std shift car I've ever owned and I've n-e-v-e-r had to repair any of them.

As regards the FGT's tranny specifically; it seems more than a bit odd to me that its Recardo can withstand a couple thousand h.p. and a trainload of torque with no problem at all...but, it might fall apart if one rests his hand on its shifter. :skep "'Know what I mean, Vern?" ('Too old a reference, perhaps?)

Driving a car 100,000 miles in a trailer doesn't count. You can rest your hand on any stick shift you own, since you never drive them!!!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Driving a car 100,000 miles in a trailer doesn't count. You can rest your hand on any stick shift you own, since you never drive them!!!

Yeeeeeeeeeeew PINHEAD!!! How the frog hair can one D-R-I-V-E a car that's in a trailer???

You be one sick puppy! But, sick as yew is, I loves ya anyway, sir! :thumbsup

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Yeeeeeeeeeeew PINHEAD!!! How the frog hair can one D-R-I-V-E a car that's in a trailer???

You be one sick puppy! But, sick as yew is, I loves ya anyway, sir! :thumbsup

One can imagine you sitting behind the wheel in your trailered car, while your wifey is driving the tow vehicle. You are smiling as you feel the car moving as if you were really driving it. What a thrill compared to just sitting in the car while it is in the garage. :lol

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
One can imagine you sitting behind the wheel in your trailered car, while your wifey is driving the tow vehicle. You are smiling as you feel the car moving as if you were really driving it. What a thrill compared to just sitting in the car while it is in the garage. :lol

You're even sicker than '217! Holy dadgum krymuny! Whodah thunk it possible!