Oh great, another gauge failure.

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
I agree stock battery all the way. Mine lasted 7 yrs plus. Bought another oem just to be safe. The original was still working. Can't beat the stock one and has ford GT sticker on it.....

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Mine was still working when I replaced it after 7 years, but it was leaking around the terminals.

TiggsGT

GT Owner
Dec 22, 2012
Bay Area, CA
I was looking at my battery a bit after I got it and saw some corrosion on the original grounding cable. Ended up buying a replacement grounding cable and swapping it in.

mal

Heritage GT Owner
Nov 23, 2012
London/Kent, UK
I have not had the car long and all the gauges seem fine - but I have noticed the gas gauge takes about 10 minutes to rise to full after you fill it up - is that normal?

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I have not had the car long and all the gauges seem fine - but I have noticed the gas gauge takes about 10 minutes to rise to full after you fill it up - is that normal?

The only thing normal with these gauges is they don't work well.

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington

Take care when filling up with gas - when the gas pump nozzle clicks off - your done - do not top off. Overfilling the gas tank can cause the gas gauge/sender to get stuck. In addition, when starting the car, turn the key to the on position, wait for the gauges to come alive (atleast the gas gauge) - then push the start button.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
^^^ +1. The only times I have had erratic gas gauge readings, I traced back to hitting the start button before the gauges ran through their little test checks. Now, I don't hit the start button until I see the gas gauge spring to life, which only takes a second.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

Mine seems to do this too. It's in need of a fillup so I'll see what happens. I've noticed that it is either time or a couple of stop/starts can unwedge it too. The pumps around my place always click off before full so I go by gallons before I stop clicking the filler.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
^^^ +1. The only times I have had erratic gas gauge readings, I traced back to hitting the start button before the gauges ran through their little test checks. Now, I don't hit the start button until I see the gas gauge spring to life, which only takes a second.

I wait till the odometer comes on. Probably overkill - but everything seems to be well stabilized by then

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I wait till the odometer comes on. Probably overkill - but everything seems to be well stabilized by then

I put the key in, turn it on and then say to noone in particular:

Atomic batteries to power, turbines to speed.

By that time everything is ready.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Lost my tach a month ago. Ordered Speedhut and had Ryan at Cooltech install them. When I started the car today to go to Cooltech the voltmeter failed. Two turns of the key and two lost gauges. Ford Tach was going to be $1280 and I think Volts is $800. So now have Speedhut and the drama is over.

Sheeesh!

So you are happy with Speedhut?

andreikoc

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2013
The Speedhut gauges are fine. I believe they have no more likelyhood of failure than a normal car. The tach is round (oh well) but the gas gauge has 270 degrees as compared to 90 stock. You can also get shift lights (I didn't). All in all they are better than stock as they do not fail. Installation was very straightforward and the whole rig was less than the tach alone.

hollywoodstunts

GT Owner
Apr 25, 2009
Venice, CA
Speedo started doing a tap dance as I was parking yesterday. Any suggestions?
It eventually went back to zero. The grounds have been sanded since the first gauge died, and I made the switch to the Die Hard years ago. The "fix" won't come soon enough.
So far it's a tach, a fuel gauge, and potentially a speedo. To put it in perspective, I've racked up five times more than what I paid for my first car in dead gauges.
But they do make for really expensive and cool paper weights.:frown

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Speedo started doing a tap dance as I was parking yesterday. Any suggestions?
It eventually went back to zero. The grounds have been sanded since the first gauge died, and I made the switch to the Die Hard years ago. The "fix" won't come soon enough.
So far it's a tach, a fuel gauge, and potentially a speedo. To put it in perspective, I've racked up five times more than what I paid for my first car in dead gauges.
But they do make for really expensive and cool paper weights.:frown

Tim, your speedo went out because you drive so fast it can't keep up!

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
It eventually went back to zero.

This is normal. Usually occurs when parked. Ask EP for further clarification.

kinger

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2006
Newtown, Pa
05 red white stripe fuel, temp & boost gauges bad have new ones scared to put in crazy

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
05 red white stripe fuel, temp & boost gauges bad have new ones scared to put in crazy
Speedhuts now or wait for Ford to come out with the new and improved gauges.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Well add another boost gauge. It had been under wraps and on battery tender since the Wednesday before thanksgiving so I decided to turn it over and warm it up. No driving due to crappy roads. Well boost gauge stuck at -5 with no movement. Tried again today and no change. It doesn't matter much since it didn't read anyway with the pulley and tune setup I have but it doesn't bode well for the future. Sigh

Last edited:

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Bummer I guess water temp & oil pressure is all you really need anyway right?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Bummer I guess water temp & oil pressure is all you really need anyway right?

Tach too. Real drivers never look at a speedo, which is why it is on the right side, but you should know how fast you are going by the seat of your pants.