Dyno for Sale

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I have a friend who is trying to sell a Dyno machine. He recently bought it for a shop but the shop doesn’t really need it. He has decided he’s rather have the extra space and cash.

It is an all wheel drive dyno, capable of spinning up to 240mph. The machine is practically new. It lists (with the options) for $70k. I think he actually paid high $40s for it. He is asking $30k for it. I would buy if I had a place for it.

This is website for the dyno company.

http://www.dynocom.net/catalog/detail.asp?iPro=93&iType=31

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Mark,

With the high caliper state of your GT engine, YOU really need this piece of equipment for yourself.

Just build a garage to house the dyno.....

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I know, believe me the thought has crossed my mind. Luckily my GT will have a full data loging system so I can tune on the fly, much like Ray did at his mile events. Just drive it to a point, then access the data and push a little further. It's truly the best method... The trick is finding a spot to run a 200 mph test pull. ;)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I know, believe me the thought has crossed my mind. Luckily my GT will have a full data loging system so I can tune on the fly, much like Ray did at his mile events. Just drive it to a point, then access the data and push a little further. It's truly the best method... The trick is finding a spot to run a 200 mph test pull. ;)

That's a big problem in my area. Mexico is very far away!

Also it is hard to hear detonation while tuning on the road.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Don't kid yourself, it's hard to hear detonation under any circumstance, by the time the human ear can detect detonation... damage has likely occurred. The MoTec has some cool harmonic sensors that will be looking detonation 100% of the time, dyno or not. If that technology wasn't available I wouldn't have chose to explore the upper limits of the GT motor. This dyno would be nice for testing theoretical load at high speed. Without it all I can do is tune on a standard dyno (90-140mph) and do mile events. There just isn't many places you can pull off 200+ even if you live close to Mexico.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Last I looked at the Motec knock sensor it has to be calibrated for each car by an "expert". Of course you are one of the very few that has a Motec engine controller that can use it.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Very true and I am not expert. It’s a pretty interesting method to calibrate. You setup several sensors across the engine and run it as you normally would, then (at low rpm) you create a knock event and compare the two audio samples. There will be a clear distortion point in the audio profile where the knock occurred. Then the motec can look for this signature and make adjustments on the fly to correct the conditions and allow the engine to recover. As I said, I am no expert but this technology makes me feel a lot better about toying around with 1500 whp on street driven car (any car for that matter).

btw, I didn’t mean to sound like a know-it-all in my previous post. I apologize if it came across as offensive.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
I did not detect any know-it-all attitude, Mark.

I think you are in good hands with Motec. And would agree there needs to be an individual calibration for each engine if you have specific knock sensors for your engine. Interesting comments about "calibrating" the system at low rpm which then is it acoustic signature the monitor looks for at other operating (higher power) conditions. I would have thought there might be a difference in the acoustic signature when knock occurs. Perhaps not though. Experience and test data are your friend.

Hope you will make it to the next rally!