First ticket.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
I have 4 vehicles with no front plate. I've received 2 warnings, both in the GT, both nice LEOs who I think just wanted to check out the car. I also got pulled over in some small town for speeding during the Austin Rally on our way to Goliad, and also got a warning for no plate, but again, a nice cop (she was hot too!).
I'm reliably informed that here in Texas, effective 2012, they actually can't write you up for no front plate because some statute has expired that means even tho' they could theoretically ticket you, there's no way to actually enforce it and fine you. I'd be interested in hearing if other Texan GT guys have heard this? Could still be an excuse to pull you over, however.
One of my other cars has got one of those rear plate covers that's supposed to 'blind' cameras - I'm waiting to be stopped for that one....

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Just consider this ticket as a clean front bumper tax.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Phoenix cops used to write me for no plate in previous cars that I owned that had no place for a plate save drilling holes in precious body parts. Then one day a few years back the state decided that inn order to save money they would no longer require a front plate. No problem anymore. Maybe the solution lies in writing your state legislature with an idea on how to cut unnecessary government spending...

You may recall that the Colorado legislature had the same idea a few years ago, but the cops got it turned down. They claimed safety but really they wanted a sustained revenue source. It's not supposed to be a primary offense - i.e., they supposedly won't stop you for that alone - but have a tendency to use it like other "safety" things (e.g., burned out tail light) as a justification to do a DUI check which then turns into the equipment check primarily used as a cash cow.

So far I've never been harassed for any of my Mustangs, Cobra or the GT

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I have had 2 tickets for moving violations in the last 5 years & each time I had no front plate. I never had them say anything about no plate. It's a joke but 31 states require 2 plates to be displayed. It's mostly the Yankee states as the Confederate states are only 1 plate. Those of you in the South are lucky! Anyone thinking of doing a General Lee wrap for their GT?

Ed

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Ohio demands front plates, and Arizona does not. I have run over 40 cars in Ohio for 20 years without front plates and have never been stopped, ticketed or hassled. Just lucky I guess.

HIRISC

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Ohio demands front plates, and Arizona does not. I have run over 40 cars in Ohio for 20 years without front plates and have never been stopped, ticketed or hassled. Just lucky I guess.

Jinx :biggrin

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Just consider this ticket as a clean front bumper tax.

That's a great way of looking at this!

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
............ Anyone thinking of doing a General Lee wrap for their GT?

That's a sure way to end up with video of a bashed in car on the 6 O'Clock news and Sharpton on your front lawn yelling about 'tolerance'.

tmctguer

GT Owner
Jan 11, 2010
dana point, CA
this thread made me spring for Gominigo's front license plate mount. i carry my plate behind my driver's seat now, but if i carry the fully assembled kit in the car, i may be able to talk my way out of a "no FLP" ticket.

anya

NGT,GT/GTX1 Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
Go to Cars & coffee in Seattle 12-01-2008 three GTs with front plates. The bracket just screws into the hole in the bottom of the spoiler. Plate is about 1" lower than spoiler so gives you a warning sound