Wanted Ford GT

dshears

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 26, 2009
Fremont Ca
I will be turning 60 years old this year and if I don't buy one now I never will. I am ready to buy right now a white or Tungsten GT with all 4 options. I am looking to spend in the $150,000.00 range. When I will no longer be able to drive this GT it will be passed down to the next care taker which will be my son. So please give me a call at 510-366-3700. Thank you very much---Dave

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Good luck with the search. Its never too late!!

campgreenlake

GT Owner
Sep 10, 2007
Florida
Good luck on your search, Dave. Based on my experience you can look forward to some 20 years of good fortune once you acquire one. I purchased my GT last year at age 81 and drive it regularly because it keeps me young. Right now I am considering some performance enhancements to get even more of a rush when I put my right foot down. RB

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Gonna be tough to get one in that price range unless it's a high mile car, but I wish you the best of luck and hope to see you here as an owner soon :)

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
A perfect 60th birthday present it will be !

Ditto on Shelby's remark, have not seen many in the $150 range unless higher mileage or storied. (Stay away from the later !)
I would not be afraid of a well cared for car with more than 10,000-15,000 miles. There are plenty problem free GTs out there with well over 20,000 miles, and some much higher.
Mileage is less important than maintenance history and having a thorough PPI to rule out accidents or poorly performed work.

Last edited:

beckertb

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Beaumont, TX
Good luck on your search, Dave. As a recent purchaser from Shelby, I too had been wanting to buy one for some time. Came close over the past few years but until this year hadnt pulled the trigger. Ended up paying a little more than i wanted and more than i would have paid a few years ago, anyway but in the end got a great car. I actually regret not buying one sooner. I guess my point is that even if you go a little over your price range, I think you will enjoy the acquisition--i know i have.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Good luck on your search, Dave. Based on my experience you can look forward to some 20 years of good fortune once you acquire one. I purchased my GT last year at age 81 and drive it regularly because it keeps me young. Right now I am considering some performance enhancements to get even more of a rush when I put my right foot down. RB
I want to be just like you at age 81!!
Just think how young you be if you had your car 6 years ago!
Great post! I'm going to keep driving!!
Best regards,Ron

MartynL

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2012
Sarasota, FL
MLS Tungsten GT, side, Sarasota Bay.jpg
Dave: I wouldn't worry about your age. I bought my Tungsten four-option GT from Shelby late last year for my 75th birthday! I'm still in "lust" with it and plan on owning it for many years. You should follow buying tips from Forum guys, best advice you will ever get. Beware of GTs priced in the $150s with "stories."
Good luck and welcome to the Forum,
Marty

Last edited:

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Good luck on your search Dave, you won't be dissapointed.

Pure soul food.
I purchased my GT last year at age 81 and drive it regularly because it keeps me young. RB

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Good luck on your search Dave even if you have to raise your expectations. My GT turned 6 yrs old the Day after Carroll Shelby passed away this month and it has been the best purchase I ever made and introduced me to many, many new friends that I would never have met. Life is GREAT and you will be Blessed.

Longhorn

GT Owner
May 22, 2006
Houston
Good luck on your search Dave even if you have to raise your expectations. My GT turned 6 yrs old the Day after Carroll Shelby passed away this month and it has been the best purchase I ever made and introduced me to many, many new friends that I would never have met. Life is GREAT and you will be Blessed.

+1 on that!

docshelby

GT Owner
Apr 8, 2008
Metro Detroit
Hi Dave, good luck on you search. If you are lucky enough to have a GT owner contact you regarding a possible sale, and you feel it's too much, or not your color/option preference. Please pass him/her on to me. I'm 62 and tired of being a Spectator. I call Shelby every two weeks, on Ebay, Cars-on line, Autotrader etc. not easy. The car you want, at the price you want to pay, may not be realistic. Happy Hunting, Doc 586 484 8641

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
Gonna be tough to get one in that price range unless it's a high mile car, but I wish you the best of luck and hope to see you here as an owner soon :)

Shelby, what is considered "high miles" these days? Mine is just about to turn 14,000.

HIRISC

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Good luck Dave/Doc. You'll love it... I really do.

Pay what you need to pay now.. they aren't getting any cheaper (save another economic 'bump') and it's one of the few exotics that won't cost you an arm and a leg in either depreciation or operating costs.

Remember - buy the buyer first.. you guys are wise enough to already know that.

I bought mine from Shelby.

ps.. drive it, don't stare at it. I've put 2K miles on mine in 4 months of driving. :biggrin

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Good luck Dave/Doc. You'll love it... I really do.

ps.. drive it, don't stare at it. I've put 2K miles on mine in 4 months of driving. :biggrin
Slacker, drive that car!!!!! I have mine not even 2 years and have put over 9,000 grinning miles on it!!!!

docshelby

GT Owner
Apr 8, 2008
Metro Detroit
Just want thank all that replied, we appreciate the words-of-wisdom, everything you guys say is true. That's why our quest has turned from putting feelers out, and hoping one drops in our lap. To let's get one NOW! Spoke with Dave a couple of times since he posted. We are comparing notes, and trying to help each other find us a GT. With Dave in Calif., and me in Michigan, there should be a few GT to check out. So if you guys hear of any GT owner's that may want to sell, PLEASE let us know. Our contact info is in this thread. Thank you, in advance, Doc.

campgreenlake

GT Owner
Sep 10, 2007
Florida
Just want thank all that replied, we appreciate the words-of-wisdom, everything you guys say is true. That's why our quest has turned from putting feelers out, and hoping one drops in our lap. To let's get one NOW! Spoke with Dave a couple of times since he posted. We are comparing notes, and trying to help each other find us a GT. With Dave in Calif., and me in Michigan, there should be a few GT to check out. So if you guys hear of any GT owner's that may want to sell, PLEASE let us know. Our contact info is in this thread. Thank you, in advance, Doc.
Hey Doc, where abouts in Michigan are you located?

docshelby

GT Owner
Apr 8, 2008
Metro Detroit
Hello, I'm a little north of Detroit. Also have a place in F. Lauderdale. Where are in sunny Fla.?

campgreenlake

GT Owner
Sep 10, 2007
Florida
Hello, I'm a little north of Detroit. Also have a place in F. Lauderdale. Where are in sunny Fla.?
Currently I live in the Jupiter/Tequesta area, having become a Florida citizen some 3 years after a lifelong career in product engineering with FoMoCo. I will be back in MI for the latter part of June and early July for some family events as well as quarterbacking some work on my FGT by the GT Guys. If you are any where near the Lakes District of Oakland Co. perhaps we could get together and hoist a cold one and swap war stories. I am the guy who posted the first reply to Dave, assuing him that 60 was really a very tender age to assume ownership of a Ford GT. RB

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
Hey docshelby -
I'm in White Lake (Waterford) area, and in-process of moving to the Daytona area. I have info on a lot of GTs in my GT Registry database - if you send me VINs of the cars you're looking at, I can let you know if I have any extra info on them. I also keep records of crashed cars - you don't want to buy one that's been wrecked and repaired, yet still shows a clean CarFax (and there are a few of those out there).

Jeff

SAAC_Card.JPG

cobrajeff@att.net