Ford GT and Ferrari 458 playmates

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Beautiful, I need an all black GT :)

As you can see, I also love all black. It is however a royal pain in the arse to keep them clean. Absolutely everything shows on it. I can do a 2 hr detail, and the next day, it looks dirty again.

sandman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Gardnerville, Nv.
Both cars look great, glad you're enjoying them!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Great objective synopsis, Thank you.

Shadowman traction control......ugh, one more thing on my wish list :biggrin

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Great post jaxgt! Love the photos & write up.

Ed

PS I love my TC by Shadowman also.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Both cars look awesome. Nice work Mitchell.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
here is mine with some of its siblings.

Attachments

• 408585_329941133696138_100000407610440_1039209_909284412_n.JPG
    408585_329941133696138_100000407610440_1039209_909284412_n.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 486
Last edited:

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Guys they look GREAT!!!
I'm expecting my 458 Spyder this July.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
here is mine with some of its siblings.
Fabulous collection - 2 GTs (including a heritage) and a 458. Thanks for sharing.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Guys they look GREAT!!!
I'm expecting my 458 Spyder this July.

I sat in a Spyder recently Looked pretty awesome to me. I really prefer the 458's hard top way more than the 430 spyder's soft top. Should be a great car.
Local dealer near me wants $20k deposit and 2+ yr wait, as I didn't buy my coupe from them.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I got a chance to tootle around for an hour or two in a 458 yesterday, amazing car in every way. I agree with most here that GT is timeless in a way the 458 will not stand up too but wow!!!

The technology in the engine, transmission and suspension is simply unparalleled… and it all works together seemlessly. The 458’s ability to go from a city-driver to track-car was the most impressive aspect. The Ferrari’s sport mode would reduce driver steering input enough that low speeds driving (<100mph) became much less ‘nervous’ feeling (the customary feeling I associate with a Ferrari)than the race mode. However both modes were spectacular at 150+! I also agree that the carbon ceramic brakes were not my favorite part of the car, frankly they felt weak but I did not get the opportunity to exercise that aspect of the car enough to heat them up. The dual-clutch was so freaking amazing that all I could do was giggle every time I popped a new gear at full redline. Amazing AMAZING technology that would bore me to tears after a month or two. It will become the only acceptable race transmission where momentum is key (i.e.: The Texas Mile). You just don’t loose any forward momentum. I personally liked all of the bells and whistles regarding the interior displays but they are a bit complicated, definitely not the thing you want to be trying to understand with traffic around.

It’s the first Ferrari that I think a person could daily drive. Completely city-driver friendly and then at any moment a complete track animal.

458-2.jpg458-5.jpg458-3.jpg458-1.jpg458-4.jpg

Last edited:

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Same opportunity happened here Fubar.... You are spot on! It was like living a video game....

If I had the space for another car - it would be the 458!

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
I'm in Venice at this time...getting ready to hit the Ferrari factory for a guided tour and track time June 22. Then it's 2 days of driving F cars from Modena down toward Rome on the Mille Miglia route.
I don't know at this time exactly what cars we will have to share (20 cars) but they say 5 different models, so I'm figuring there has to be 458's in the group.
Either way, cannot wait for my first time behind a steering wheel of a prancing horse!

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
I'm in Venice at this time...getting ready to hit the Ferrari factory for a guided tour and track time June 22. Then it's 2 days of driving F cars from Modena down toward Rome on the Mille Miglia route.
I don't know at this time exactly what cars we will have to share (20 cars) but they say 5 different models, so I'm figuring there has to be 458's in the group.
Either way, cannot wait for my first time behind a steering wheel of a prancing horse!

Kevin, that sounds like a ton of fun. I'm jealous. Keep us posted and send pics.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I've had my 458 since the winter. To be honest, I didn't want to like it that much, as I don't really relate to most Ferrari guys (I'm a Ford guy !). I actually first had a deposit on the new McLaren, thinking it would be a bit more purpose driven, and less 'poser-esque'. I got the 458 while on the Mclaren wait list. After several months and lots of fun miles in the 458, have to say I really enjoy it. Actually took my deposit back on the McLaren as prefer the 458. It's a great car, and a nice compliment to my GT.

Last edited:

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I've had my 458 since the winter. To be honest, didn't want to like it that much, as I don't really relate to most Ferrari guys (I'm a Ford guy !). I actually had a deposit on the new McLaren, thinking it would be a bit more purpose driven, and less 'poser-esque'. I got the 458 while on the Mclaren wait list. After several months and lots of fun miles in the 458, have to say I really enjoy it. Actually took my deposit back on the McLaren as prefer the 458. It's a great car, and a nice compliment to my GT.

Very interesting information, I truly wondered in the dual-clutch would become a bit mind numbing after a few months or if the thrill of the all the new technology would ware off sooner, rather than later. It appears that I have my answer, the 458 is a keeper... over a McLaren (not a small item on my dream list, even if I'm still waiting on a new center-seat F1 car). I am glad to hear you are enjoying the new golden child of the Ferrari lineage.

I still consider you more of a Ford man, if it helps?

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Great pictures and write up Mitchell, both cars look amazing

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Oh, jaxgt - i was awaiting the F458 & McLaren test by you! How sad.

Ed

PS By the way - you are right!

I've had my 458 since the winter. To be honest, I didn't want to like it that much, as I don't really relate to most Ferrari guys (I'm a Ford guy !). I actually first had a deposit on the new McLaren, thinking it would be a bit more purpose driven, and less 'poser-esque'. I got the 458 while on the Mclaren wait list. After several months and lots of fun miles in the 458, have to say I really enjoy it. Actually took my deposit back on the McLaren as prefer the 458. It's a great car, and a nice compliment to my GT.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Like most everyone here, I've been eyeing the 458 for a while. Reading all this, I can hear my checkbook banging around in the desk across the room. They sure look fantastic and reading about the drivability is quite encouraging. Thanks for the post jax and for starting the interesting discussion.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I feel so left out - I want a Murci SV670...but already loaded with more cars in the garage than I can deal with...time for a new garage I guess... :(

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
What is the procedure to engage launch control on a 458?