Video: 2012 Nissan GT-R vs 2005 Ford GT.....

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Don't pay any mind to HHGT, he has a tendency to be over dramatic when talking about products he does't like. I think the GTR has done pretty well in the market. It certainly has some impressive performance numbers and a loyal following. Now, with that out of he way, if my neighbor bought one of those ugly bastards, I'd have to do donuts in his driveway twice a day until he sold it (you can't do donuts with all wheel drive)

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Don't pay any mind to HHGT, he has a tendency to be over dramatic when talking about products he does't like. I think the GTR has done pretty well in the market. It certainly has some impressive performance numbers and a loyal following. Now, with that out of he way, if my neighbor bought one of those ugly bastards, I'd have to do donuts in his driveway twice a day until he sold it (you can't do donuts with all wheel drive)

Would never happen in my neighborhood . We have restrictive covenants preventing GT- Rs. :) hey all in good fun. Fiske has a great stable of cars .

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia

Would never happen in my neighborhood . We have restrictive covenants preventing GT- Rs. :) hey all in good fun. Fiske has a great stable of cars .

FikseGTS

GT Owner
Apr 15, 2007
South Florida

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
What happens if i bring my GTR to the rally ?

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
I like the GTR, would probably be my first choice if I was buying a new sports car. I like the looks, although some lines arent the best. But you got to respect the bang for buck. Also, I agree its resale has been good. People are comparing the $10K premiums to resale today, which in unfair. If you want to do that comparison, do it for the GT when people payed $50-100k over msrp. Of course we dont do that cause we arent suckers (no offense to anyone who purchased at a premium). I'm just saying its only fair to compare todays price new, versus todays resale. In that respect, the GTR has done well for a new car. If these things depreciate to $35k, I would easily pick one up just to play with. I think over time this car will be a cult car like the Supra. Supra was the same story, bang for the buck, super fast with some turbo upgrades.

Now my question is, what do they have to upgrade to get that GTR in the 9's? That thing has to feel unreal.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...Now my question is, what do they have to upgrade to get that GTR in the 9's? That thing has to feel unreal.

Stillen offers quite a few upgrades for the GTR.

www.stillen.com/

FikseGTS

GT Owner
Apr 15, 2007
South Florida
Don't have to do too much to get close to 9's, this is my friends car:

http://www.dragtimes.com/Nissan-GT-R-Timeslip-22142.html

full exhaust, intake, tune, injector/pump swap to use E85, lightweight wheels and tires... vbox had his car doing 0-60 in 2.3 seconds at the drag strip....

I like the GTR, would probably be my first choice if I was buying a new sports car. I like the looks, although some lines arent the best. But you got to respect the bang for buck. Also, I agree its resale has been good. People are comparing the $10K premiums to resale today, which in unfair. If you want to do that comparison, do it for the GT when people payed $50-100k over msrp. Of course we dont do that cause we arent suckers (no offense to anyone who purchased at a premium). I'm just saying its only fair to compare todays price new, versus todays resale. In that respect, the GTR has done well for a new car. If these things depreciate to $35k, I would easily pick one up just to play with. I think over time this car will be a cult car like the Supra. Supra was the same story, bang for the buck, super fast with some turbo upgrades.

Now my question is, what do they have to upgrade to get that GTR in the 9's? That thing has to feel unreal.

H

HHGT

:slap:rolleyes:screwy::tap::box:

H

HHGT

How is that horrible for wholesale? I recently sold my GTR for 68k to a wholesaler almost 3 years after I bought it brand new for 74k well under MSRP, at 90% of retail I would think that is out performing almost any used car in any market. Looks are subjective , but me I like the looks of the GTR and if you haven't driven one you really ought to because they are awesome performing machines and I don't think anyone would dispute that fact, especially with a Jack Cecil tune!

A friend of mine bought one and brought it over (he also owns a 2010 M3) and boy was he proud (as he should) it does this and that and it can out perform this and that and so on and so forth. He asked me to take it for a spin and I declined - the car does absolutely nothing for me and neither does the M3 for that matter. If all I wanted to feel was the rush of a take off, I would rather spend $50 on a "Magic Mountain Day Pass" and enjoy the whole day instead of 3 seconds.

You guys keep bitching at me and I'm going to include the GTR to my Avatar "Hate List".:box:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The GTR is so fast because Nissan has largely removed the driver from the operation of the vehicle. Just point and shoot. No clutch modulation, no missed shifts, just perfect, repeatable sub 3 second launches so simple my daughter could do it. No doubt the car is a technological achievement that has the added benefit of being a bargain, but at what point are people sitting in the left front seat called "operators" rather than "drivers"? We all like to go fast, but I would hope we all like to drive as well.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
A few friends of mine off of another forum have had GTR's and have been tremendously impressed by the car's capabilities, but even though it's an absolute marvel of modern technology, their comments almost to a man have been "the car has no soul". That's something that nobody will ever say about the GT. It might only have ABS and no nannies, but it's a "driver's car", and that's what I have it to do!!!!
BTW, they've all sold them as it just "didn't do it" for them.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
If it's all about 0 to 60 then why not one of these? Save about 75k, still made in Japan and get to piss off the neighbors. "WINNING"!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiQSogcRytw&feature=more_related

All kidding aside they perform like a SOB! Kinda takes the crown from the Vet for "Bang for the buck".

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
If all I wanted to feel was the rush of a take off, I would rather spend $50 on a "Magic Mountain Day Pass" and enjoy the whole day instead of 3 seconds.

The take off on the "California Screamin'" 'coaster at Disneyland isn't bad either. :lol

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
If it's all about 0 to 60 then why not one of these? Save about 75k, still made in Japan and get to piss off the neighbors. "WINNING"!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiQSogcRytw&feature=more_related

Hmmmmmm................what about this cart against a Hayabusa?:biggrin

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
A friend of mine bought one and brought it over (he also owns a 2010 M3) and boy was he proud (as he should) it does this and that and it can out perform this and that and so on and so forth. He asked me to take it for a spin and I declined - the car does absolutely nothing for me and neither does the M3 for that matter.

Note to self: Be forewarned of the potential consequences of showing enjoyment or enthusiasm in Sam's presence over anything other than a GT.

But seriously Sam, why not at least drive it before making up your mind? Worst comes to worst, at least you've verified how awesome the GT is. I'm no fan of the GT-R, but I'd probably at least try it out if offered.

Oh, and when you do add it to your hate list, put it first. So, that we know that you hate BMW's a tad less than Apples and GT-R's.

BTW, fun video!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
A few friends of mine off of another forum have had GTR's and have been tremendously impressed by the car's capabilities, but even though it's an absolute marvel of modern technology, their comments almost to a man have been "the car has no soul". That's something that nobody will ever say about the GT. It might only have ABS and no nannies, but it's a "driver's car", and that's what I have it to do!!!!
BTW, they've all sold them as it just "didn't do it" for them.

From a product liability standpoint, Ford took a huge risk building the GT without all of the available electronic safety systems, and I am extremely happy they did. It is truly a driver's car.

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
The GTR is so fast because Nissan has largely removed the driver from the operation of the vehicle. Just point and shoot. No clutch modulation, no missed shifts, just perfect, repeatable sub 3 second launches so simple my daughter could do it. No doubt the car is a technological achievement that has the added benefit of being a bargain, but at what point are people sitting in the left front seat called "operators" rather than "drivers"? We all like to go fast, but I would hope we all like to drive as well.

Well that's a pretty big assumption that just because you don't push a pedal and pull a lever that's not driving, watch the video of the GTR at Nurburgring and tell if your daughter or yourself can do that? No don't, I already know the answer! When I am on a racetrack it is usually about braking and turning and accelerating and going faster than the guys I am running against and not once have I thought (man I love this 6 speed it really makes me feel like I am driving) it is and always has been about getting from point a to point b the fastest on any racetrack I have ever been on and I have been on a lot. There is more than enough driver involvement in a GTR if you want to be fast as you still have to hit your apexs right and hit your marks breaking and accelerating so I don't really understand the mentality that a 6 speed is superior or your more involved? There is a reason the F1 style transmissions are increasing on racetracks and all the top supercars in the world have incorporated them into their top cars and it is not because 6 speeds are so great. Excluding a drag strip my GTR is every bit as involved as my GT if not more as it is faster on the road course than my GT demanding a higher level of driver input to compensate for the higher speeds.

H

HHGT

Note to self: Be forewarned of the potential consequences of showing enjoyment or enthusiasm in Sam's presence over anything other than a GT.

But seriously Sam, why not at least drive it before making up your mind? Worst comes to worst, at least you've verified how awesome the GT is. I'm no fan of the GT-R, but I'd probably at least try it out if offered.

Oh, and when you do add it to your hate list, put it first. So, that we know that you hate BMW's a tad less than Apples and GT-R's.

BTW, fun video!

He offered me to take his M3 for a spin but I declined too. I did agree to driving his WRX though and that was fun.

Infantryman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2011
Ohio
This thread cracks me up... it's like a political debate amongst those who look as them like everything must be a zero-sum situation. There will always be those who feel compelled to compare apples and oranges and declare oranges inferior and orange lovers to be insane or at best posessing questionable judgement; that's more a reflection on the person rendering the statement than it is on the orange though, isn't it? There will always be those who, having found comfort within their own perspectives, will find need to declare others' less valid. The more strongly stated a subjective opinion, the better!

Some people will look at the Mona Lisa and only see flaws; some will look at the Venus De Milo and lament the missing arms. Just because a person doesn't "get" a piece of art does not render that art less worthy.

For those hanging onto curiosity and an appreciation for varied experiences tooth and nail despite the graying hair and slowing reflexes that tend to pull one into an ever-narrowing comfort zone and set of beliefs, I suggest an alternate perspective. Both cars have incredible merit. They are each fun as hell to drive, in different ways and for different reasons. Both cars are works of art blending form and function in their own ways, and they're both remarkable pieces of technology in their own right. Each is a completely different approach to a similar (but not exactly the same) problem. Each gets a great amount of attention, from very different demographics. Each was designed for a different driver, to showcase different companies divergent approaches to the automobile (and perhaps to racing).

If you could only have one car, could only choose between those two, and had to rely on it for all reasons and all seasons, there'd be only one choice. And it would still be a compromise. But luckily, most people who have the option of a FGT aren't constrained that way. Sure, there are times when it's just beautiful out, and only my FGT will satisfy my need to cruise and my enjoyment at turning heads. But there are times when I can go tearing around in my GT-R in conditions when the FGT purists who so value "soul" can only be seen driving the family sedan or a lumbering SUV. And there are other places I may go where both those cars are dead in the water, but I can still climb through 80mph in my Raptor without a paved road in sight (and have somewhere to put my ever-present Mountain Dew!) Soul, schmole. Cars don't have "soul." Soul is something the driver brings to the car. I sure as hell hope I have many years ahead of bringing mine to many different cars! :)