Targa NZ

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
Nice video Kyle! It was great to hang out with your team during part of the rally and hope to see you again for next years. I should have my new GT all ready by then and you should be seeing it for the gear change soon. Good luck to you and Steve till then and Happy New Year (7 hours away for me!)
John

PIRAEUS

Jun 23, 2007
Virginia
That is a nice video. I have to say I'm a little bit jealous- I spoke with Michael Ullrich several times last spring, hoping I might be able to shoot your movie. If you need anybody next year, or in Canada-
I've been filming a fair amount of Ford GTRs turning corners, and now in full 4k HD
People sometimes ask me if I shoot NASCAR and my reply is, "I shoot cars that go right and left", but it's still a track. Now, a rally- I've got to get in on one of these!

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
Kyle and Piraeus, We'll be certain to get some helicopter aerial footage of the Targa for next year! I'll get the camera gear and helicopter set up and of course focus mostly on your Ford GT and maybe a couple clips of mine too!
Cheers,
John

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
John -

Have you found a replacement for your 1st car yet?

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
Yes I have! White/Blue from Marv at FordGTForSale.com. Stillen and Shadowman will do their magic on her before shipping it down to me. I guess I'll need to change my avitar photo though. I guess I will be one of the few who has bought two but have only one to show for it.

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
John,

We look forward to working on your car. Any idea when she'll arrive at our shop?

I'm excited to hear about the helicopter you're arranging for next year. That'll be really neat! Have you seen the footage from this year's event yet? We're still waiting to see it.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Yes I have! White/Blue from Marv at FordGTForSale.com. Stillen and Shadowman will do their magic on her before shipping it down to me. I guess I'll need to change my avitar photo though. I guess I will be one of the few who has bought two but have only one to show for it.

Great news John. Are you going to be able to get another set of the door hinges? I presume the others ones were melted, or heat damaged beyond repair.

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
Kyle, the GT should be to you pretty soon. Marv is getting it sorted for shipping. The only video I've seen is the odeo stuff.

BlackICE, the hinges and damn near everything else is probably still floating around the planet. I believe Bill has a plan for new door hinges.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Kyle, the GT should be to you pretty soon. Marv is getting it sorted for shipping. The only video I've seen is the odeo stuff.

BlackICE, the hinges and damn near everything else is probably still floating around the planet. I believe Bill has a plan for new door hinges.

Gimbal, great new! Stillen gears and door hinges, just like your 1st GT. Any conclusions to what set off the fire?

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
It was an electrical failure in the circuit panel. It was a brand new garage with full 3 phase wiring and fully insulated and lined with grooved wooden paneling. The inside was an inferno in minutes. My newer garage, being built now will have a nice fire sprinkler system, the only real effective protection.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
On-Site Firemen

It was an electrical failure in the circuit panel. It was a brand new garage with full 3 phase wiring and fully insulated and lined with grooved wooden paneling. The inside was an inferno in minutes. My newer garage, being built now will have a nice fire sprinkler system, the only real effective protection.

Gimbal - been following your loss of a GT saga. As has been said by many, glad no one was injured.

And as a fire protection Contractor for over 4 decades, I applaud your wise choice of installing a fire sprinkler system in your new garage.

For a fist full of dollar, you can have the insurance of the "on-site" fireman to defend against a fire, which hopefully will never happen again, and control, contain or extiguish the fire before the fire department arrives.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Don't know how I missed this thread. :confused

Two things.....one, love the orange GT. Looks like you guys had a heck of a time down there. :thumbsup

Second, Gimbal I am glad you got another GT and are rounding her into the shape you want her. I know you will have better luck with this one. :cheers

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
OK, we finally got one of the video's up of an entire stage...

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/NADAGuides-STILLEN-Ford_231260.htm

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Wow, second time today I needed the 5 gal Aloha bag.... great vid.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Just curious, why are the bright (long, high beam) lights on?

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
Just curious, why are the bright (long, high beam) lights on?

The rally requires that you have all of your lights on while in the race stages. I don't know the reason for the rule though, that's just what they mandate. If we don't follow that rule then we receive a time penalty for each stage the lights are not on.

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
One more video...

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/NADAGuides-STILLEN-Ford_282401.htm

This was one of our best stages. We passed 4 cars in this stage and we actually beat every other car in the top 10. We were 5th quickest through there.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Thanks Kyle.

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Wow, Beautiful roads, Thanks for posting link.

Oh man that was awesome. Looks like you were hooked up good. Seemed like very few tail slides.

Where do we find the results?

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
For a full run down on the results visit targa.co.nz.

We finished 8th place overall, we were the first father-son team, first Ford, and first V8. We were very happy with the result. Actually for the first time I sat down and analyzed the stage times and in a few of the stages we actually beat the overall winner's of the event.

Last edited: