Definitive Wheel and Tire Thread with Pics

getbit

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 15, 2006
Austin, Texas
I know many of us are waiting on a solution from Stillen concerning an alternative replacement tire.

It would be great if we could get everyone to post what wheel and tires (size and specific model) they are using or have used in the past with their opinions.

I currently slide around on worn, stock tires...what shoes are you wearing?

This thread would be nearly worthless without the obligatory pics...

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
It would be great if we could get everyone to post (photos)
Exactly! I want to go 19"/20" but won't leap without visual confirmation. Come on guys, post some photos of your non-OEM wheels ..... please! I'm thinking PS II's that come closest to matching the same overall diameter as 18"/19". Specifically, 265-35/19 up front and 315-35/20 in the rear. I've attached a spreadsheet I created to evaluate tire sizes. I do not want to change the overall wheel/tire diameters and hence be forced to rebalance the rake or lower the vehicle. The aforementioned sizes come closest to achieving these objectives.

Last edited:

JimF

GT Owner
Dec 19, 2006
Palm Springs, Lake Tahoe
Tires

I, too, would like some new shoes for Baby. In doing research on the forum, it appears that there are several possible options that have been discussed that I would like to list and get comments from those that know more than I.

1. Pirelli P Zero Corsa System
Front tire - 265/40/18 (This has been discussed as a new size but I am unable to find out anything about it. Is it available from someone?)
Rear tire - 345/35/19
If the front tire is available, this combo seems to represent an alternitive for the stock wheels.

2. Pirelli P) Zero

JimF

GT Owner
Dec 19, 2006
Palm Springs, Lake Tahoe
Tires

I, too, would like some new shoes for Baby. In doing research on the forum, it appears that there are several possible options that have been discussed that I would like to list and get comments from those that know more than I. These options are for the standard wheel sizes.

1. Pirelli P Zero Corsa System
Front tire - 265/40/18 (This has been discussed as a new size but I am unable to find out anything about it. Is it available from someone?)
Rear tire - 345/35/19
If the front tire is available, this combo seems to represent an alternitive for the stock wheels.

2. Pirelli P) Zero
Front tire - 265/40/18
Rear tire - 345/35/19 (Again, this tire size has been talked about on the forum but I am unable to get any confirmation that it exists or where to get it.)

3. Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
Front tire - 265/35/18 Diam. 25.3"
Rear tire - 345/30/19 Diam. 27.2
It would seem that these two tires match up well regarding the ratio for the ABS brake system but that needs verification by those that fully understand this matter.

If this post is too off topic, feel free to move it to another thread.

Jim

getbit

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 15, 2006
Austin, Texas
This is exactly what I am looking for JimF...also hope that those with custom wheel/tire setups will post pics and their reviews of handling, ride, wear, etc.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I posted on another thread the following tires:

Bridgestone RE50 in 245/45 18 and RE50A in 345/35 19. Threadwear of 140.

These tire are very close to stock diameters. Note some of the tire listed on this thread may not fit the stock wheel's width.

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
I posted on another thread the following tires:

Bridgestone RE50 in 245/45 18 and RE50A in 345/35 19. Threadwear of 140.

These tire are very close to stock diameters. Note some of the tire listed on this thread may not fit the stock wheel's width.

I have the PS2's in 245/40ZR18 and 345/30ZR19 on stock wheels and they fit and look perfect. In fact, I found a formula for determining optimum wheel size for different size tires, and it indicated our 11.5" rear is the optimum size wheel for 345's. If you go with a 30 sidewall, it reduces the wheel height .7 inches which creates about a 10% increase in acceleration and uncorrected speedometer error...so hold on to your hat :biggrin I assume a 35 sidewall would increase acceleration about 5%...and a 40 will have no noticeable effect. As I recall, the tire width also nominally influences the wheel height. I love the PS2's :cheers

JimF

GT Owner
Dec 19, 2006
Palm Springs, Lake Tahoe
Tires

ACRJoe, I have a suggestion for an add to your spreadsheet. Perhaps you can add a cell to calc the circumference of each tire. That would allow someone to compare the front/rear ratios for the ABS issue as well as just looking at sidewall height.

I am thinking that using a smaller front tire could be offset by also using a smaller rear tire to keep the ratios within tolerances for the brakes.

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
http://www.michelinman.com/tires/ul...&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=0

Michelin spec link

Is there a reason no one is looking at the Pilot Sport Cups for traction tires ?
Street legal, thread wear 80. Like a Nitto. A few of the Vet guys run these, more use the Nitto's due to price, but a decent arrive and drive track day tire as well. They last longer on the Vets than the Nittos as well. Think Legal Hoosier with some rain thread.

Note:
Different mfg's use specs that do not compare very well. Example one is giving diameter measured on a 8" wheel and the other on a 8.5" wheel. I am not a tire measurement guru. But seams to me that if the PS2's work fine the Cups would also.

Front
235/40/18 Cup 25.4 tall 9.5 on 8.5" rim looks to be .3 narrow vs. PS2 245/40/18 which lists 9.8 on a 8.5" rim.

It's Also .3 shorter. BTW the Goodyears actually measure 25.5 on the car. This may be due to the variance in rim width vs. the one they use for the spec. Also the sidewalls on these are more squared off than the Goodyears that seam to make them look taller on the vettes to me.

345/40/19 27.2" tall 13.8 on 12" rim available in PS2 or Cup.

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
One more , a test on the Sport cups. If the Dunlops ever come around they may look like this.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=36

Browse around and you wil find more details on these and some ratings by users.

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Wally,
When you are referring the the PS Cups being available in the rear size, are you referring to the '08 Viper spec PS Cups? Where can I get some specs on these as Michilin's web site only listed 325 width as the widest size.
BTW, I use the PS Cups on my Challenge Stradale and they are very good tires, even though they take a while to heat up but once up to temps, they stick like glue.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
345/40/19 27.2" tall 13.8 on 1...2" tall. That is over 1" smaller in diameter.

GTforever

Dec 7, 2007
Germany
The Corsa 265/40/18 and 345/35/19 I have on my car.
The 265 are not (yet?) in the Pirelli list ,but must be produced
for somebody.I got from my german tireshop.
Don´t know how they perform because of the winterweather here.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Here is a good tire size calculator.

http://www.net-comber.com/tirecalc.html

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
I have the PS2's in 245/40ZR18 and 345/30ZR19 on stock wheels and they fit and look perfect. In fact, I found a formula for determining optimum wheel size for different size tires, and it indicated our 11.5" rear is the optimum size wheel for 345's. If you go with a 30 sidewall, it reduces the wheel height .7 inches which creates about a 10% increase in acceleration and uncorrected speedometer error...so hold on to your hat :biggrin I assume a 35 sidewall would increase acceleration about 5%...and a 40 will have no noticeable effect. As I recall, the tire width also nominally influences the wheel height. I love the PS2's :cheers

I started thinking about the CUPs when I saw this post. The same size rear is available in CUP but the fronts are a hair smaller.

Originally Posted by cobrar1339
345/40/19 27.2" tall 13.8 on 12" r...used anyone. Heck maybe I an confused. :willy

JimF

GT Owner
Dec 19, 2006
Palm Springs, Lake Tahoe
Tires

Cobar, I like the Pilot Cup tires you list. The problem is that the sizes on the Michelin site are not complete as they don't list the size you mentioned for the rears. I assume that they are available though.

The other issue is to have an easy way to confirm that a particular front/rear combo will work for the ABS system since any speedo issue can be adjusted out. Perhaps someone (with more computer skills) can add a post at the front of this thread (similar to the one that lists those attending an event that can be updated regularly) that lists various tire combos with all the relevant information including the ratios front/rear that will quickly allow everyone to compare all of the suggested combos. Having the treadwear number would also be helpful for the sticky part.

Jim

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Check out the post from Larry above, great calculator.

Sadly Jim, we can't sticky every thread. The search button is your friend.

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Cobar, I like the Pilot Cup tires you list. The problem is that the sizes on the Michelin site are not complete as they don't list the size you mentioned for the rears. I assume that they are available though.

The other issue is to have an easy way to confirm that a particular front/rear combo will work for the ABS system since any speedo issue can be adjusted out. Perhaps someone (with more computer skills) can add a post at the front of this thread (similar to the one that lists those attending an event that can be updated regularly) that lists various tire combos with all the relevant information including the ratios front/rear that will quickly allow everyone to compare all of the suggested combos. Having the treadwear number would also be helpful for the sticky part.

Jim
http://www.michelinman.com/tires/ul...ort/pilot-sport-cup/#sizes-and-specifications

Scroll down a bit. I typed it wrong they have the 30 series in 19" like Kirby is running, not the 40. Sorry

On the first link you have to click "Specs", then click "view specs", then a list of sizes appears. Click on one and it looks like the bottom part of the link above.

The tire size calculator posted by AZGT is a very nice tool. Thanks. I only wish these had a way to change the rim width you were monting these on.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Since this thread has gone almost 2 pages without 1 pic, I will be the first.
CCW T10 wheels. 20 rear, 19 front. Michelin PS2 335/30/20 rear, 265/30/19 front.

JCE-GT

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2006
Mission Viejo, CA
Here is a good tire size calculator.

http://www.net-comber.com/tirecalc.html
AZGT, the tire calculator you provided is really neat when you have it available. :cheers But, if all you have is a calculator, just do the following:

Tire Cross Section x Aspect Ratio x 2 x 0.03937 + Wheel Diameter = Tire Diameter

EXAMPLE: (265/70-16)
265 X 70% = 185.5,; 185.5 x 2 = 371; 371 x 0.03937 = 14.606; 14.606 + 16 = 30.606" :banana

This works every time (if you do the calculations on a slide rule, you'll really impress the crowd). :thumbsup

JCE-GT (Tungsten - 0187)