May 10, 2007
3.4 is considered 2nd gen
4.0 is considered 3rd Gen

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Actually there is a 3.4 liter (which is really a 3.3 liter) in both gen 1 and gen 2 versions. The gen 2 makes a tad more boost at same rpm, and was the first one to be available with the "crusher" inlet. The 4.0s use the same second- generation design. I don't know how to tell a first from a second generation 3.4L Whipple just by looking at it, except that if it has a Crusher inlet, it is either a Gen 2, or a Gen 1 that has had an upgraded inlet.

Whipple Charged

Dec 9, 2005
Actually there is a 3.4 liter (which is really a 3.3 liter) in both gen 1 and gen 2 versions. The gen 2 makes a tad more boost at same rpm, and was the first one to be available with the "crusher" inlet. The 4.0s use the same second- generation design. I don't know how to tell a first from a second generation 3.4L Whipple just by looking at it, except that if it has a Crusher inlet, it is either a Gen 2, or a Gen 1 that has had an upgraded inlet.

We only know by serial number, there are no identifying marks on the sc. If your discussing a ford GT, then there was never a 3.3, only a 3.4. Both gen 1 and 2 are 3.4L. Gen 2 was higher flowing then gen 1. Gen 3 is slightly higher flow as gen 2 with new shaft/bearing and internal SC housing changes. Gen 3 has been around for sometime.

All 4.0L are Gen 3. The new 4.5 Liter is Gen 3 as well.

Now some are mixing the Shleby Gt500 in there. That started with a 3.3 from lysholm. Then gen 1..... The Crusher intake system was part of Gen 1 and above.

There is no "Crusher" intake system for the Ford GT.

So the sc is in fact a 3.4, the Lysholm was a 3.3.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Well, I guess that clears that up!

Sorry, I extrapolated some of my misinformation from the fact that my GT500 has a 3.4 L GEN 2 Whipple. I had one of the very first GEN 2 3.4L whipples and at that time I was told that it was actually a 3.3 L displacement blower. Also that was right at the time when the crushers were first available for the GT500. I have never seen a GEN one that had a Crusher on it from your factory. Learn something new every day, I guess.

Since you are on the forum here, hopefully you will take a minute to answer the thread about the so-called 10,000 mile lifespan on your blowers.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Damn, Gen 123456789, Now I am getting confused...., LOL. I was able to verify for JaxGT that the Blower we sold him is a later production / Serial Number than what we took off his car and that it is considered a Gen 2 3.4 ltr which is what he wanted.

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
For what it's worth I have a GT in the shop right now with a 3.4l Whipple which has now covered over 30,000 miles with no incidents.
That's probably the highest mileage Whipple'd car in the UK.

Dave

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
We also have numerous customers with whipples that have had them for many many years with no issues. Ron Cline (The Green Ford GT we built) is driving his cross country for the 4th time with his whipple 4.0. Car has approx. 35k miles. Whipple was put on at 12k miles and he has had ZERO issues and has tracked the car, etc....

Whipple Charged

Dec 9, 2005
Well, I guess that clears that up!

Sorry, I extrapolated some of my misinformation from the fact that my GT500 has a 3.4 L GEN 2 Whipple. I had one of the very first GEN 2 3.4L whipples and at that time I was told that it was actually a 3.3 L displacement blower. Also that was right at the time when the crushers were first available for the GT500. I have never seen a GEN one that had a Crusher on it from your factory. Learn something new every day, I guess.

Since you are on the forum here, hopefully you will take a minute to answer the thread about the so-called 10,000 mile lifespan on your blowers.

I addressed that on page 4 of this thread. 10,000 is not even remotely accurate.

As for 3.3 vs 3.4. The 3.3 was from Lysholm, which we distributed throughout North America. When we built our own, we modified the rotor profile, housing, etc and got it 3.4L.

Whipple Charged

Dec 9, 2005
Yup. A 1st Gen & a 2nd Gen both broke. Over 10,000 mi on each. They don't last long in my book. I am actually thinking of replacing my 3rd one before it strands me somewhere.

Ed

Ed, you purchased a 3.4L from us, not a 4.0L. Not sure if you did some swapping with someone or not.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
More reason to stay OEM stock; and long term OEM will bring higher money, as mods on most others cars do not add value

OEMs go 100K min

As an aside, ZR1s clearly lose value being modded

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
I addressed that on page 4 of this thread. 10,000 is not even remotely accurate.

As for 3.3 vs 3.4. The 3.3 was from Lysholm, which we distributed throughout North America. When we built our own, we modified the rotor profile, housing, etc and got it 3.4L.

Sorry, didn't see that. Tapatalk app let me down!

And I said "so-called" 10,000 mile life expectancy. I haven't had a lick of trouble with mine, but then I only have 5000 miles on it.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I never said I bought a 4.0L. Just the 1st Gen & 2nd Gens. I sent both back to you for evaluation on reason of failure. 1st Gen grenade & 2nd Gen made lots of noise. The 2nd Gen (my 3rd Whipple) I now have has gone over 10,000 mi & my fingers are crossed.

Ed

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I have the Gen 2 Whipple, like ED, with about 10 K miles and have had no issues other than a squeeky belt. I left my GT with Shadowman last month for a bit of service replaced the belt and the squeeks are all gone. My passenger cab is the quietest I have ever had!

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Jaxgt has come and gone. Problem fixed. No metal shavings in the intercooler. All is well and Jaxgt will be at the rally with his car! Took a while to diagnose as after we changed the blower, we had an entirely new issue, but found it and car is running like a champ! See you guys next week at the rally!

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Great Pit Stop

Thanks for the great service, Shelby - not only a car dealer, but a great sponsor and promoter of the Ford GT. You make us very proud!

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
"Way above and beyond the call of Duty", That shows you just what this Forum is worth! Thanks Shelby, you and your employees are first Class.

Whipple Charged

Dec 9, 2005
I never said I bought a 4.0L. Just the 1st Gen & 2nd Gens. I sent both back to you for evaluation on reason of failure. 1st Gen grenade & 2nd Gen made lots of noise. The 2nd Gen (my 3rd Whipple) I now have has gone over 10,000 mi & my fingers are crossed.

Ed

Customer asked if you had a failure in a 4.0, your reply said 2. I know of only 1 4.0 failure and it wasn't yours, hence my statement.

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
Customer asked if you had a failure in a 4.0, your reply said 2. I know of only 1 4.0 failure and it wasn't yours, hence my statement.

I have a 4.0 with lots of very high rpm track miles and zero issues, it has been great in my GT.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Jaxgt has come and gone. Problem fixed. No metal shavings in the intercooler. All is well and Jaxgt will be at the rally with his car! Took a while to diagnose as after we changed the blower, we had an entirely new issue, but found it and car is running like a champ! See you guys next week at the rally!

Thank you X 10000.
As always, Shelby and his team are so helpful and accomodating. He went as far as offering, if my car wasnt ready before the truck had to leave, to get it to Vegas on a different truck for me if need be. It is almost hard to explain to someone the level of operation he runs.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
More reason to stay OEM stock; and long term OEM will bring higher money, as mods on most others cars do not add value

As an aside, ZR1s clearly lose value being modded

Seems FGTs may not fit that model;

http://www.fordgtstore.com/inventory.aspx?mk=Ford&md=GT&sold=0