Yet another exhaust question

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
A different exhaust component question.

I have the Ford long tube headers, and the Ford (Borla) racing “muffler”. I realize that this setup removes the cats, and that is one of the reasons this setup is loud. Don’t get me wrong – I totally love this combo.. but in city traffic – again – its really loud.

My question – knowing it is more of a silly question – but has anyone done the stock muffler, with the long tube headers? I know it would physically fit – and there are a *lot* of reasons to get rid of the stock muffler… but I just love the headers and lack of cats…

I think every other combination of exhaust systems has been exhaustively (noted) covered here.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
yes this would cut down on sound. but at what price? the stock muffler is heavier, hotter and you will lose power....

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Scrap the long tubes, go back to the stock manifold, get cat delete pipes and keep the Borla muffler. That should quiet it down enough and still keep it pretty aggressive. Going back to the stock muffler is never a good idea.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Scrap the long tubes, go back to the stock manifold, get cat delete pipes and keep the Borla muffler. That should quiet it down enough and still keep it pretty aggressive. Going back to the stock muffler is never a good idea.

+1, yep. and if you can't find cat deletes, just put the cats back on.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
+1, yep. and if you can't find cat deletes, just put the cats back on.
Stillens also makes cat delete pipes.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

Agreed on stock muffler is not good idea. My understanding is getting rid of the cats is what adds a lot of volume to the sound, so I'd guess stock manifolds without cats would also be quite loud? (I also think that headers are kind of cool...)

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Agreed on stock muffler is not good idea. My understanding is getting rid of the cats is what adds a lot of volume to the sound, so I'd guess stock manifolds without cats would also be quite loud? (I also think that headers are kind of cool...)

Yes, stock manifolds without cats can be quite loud. If I were you, I'd try that combo along with the Borla muffler you already have. If that isn't loud enough, then you could always sell the muffler and add an X or H pipe.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I run stock headers/cat delete/X-pipe. PLENTY loud. I almost prefer it with cats, a little less raw. Just me.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
What boost level are you running? If you drive fairly aggressively, I would not runs cats with anything beyond the common pulley/tune. If you are not into the boost often and long, you can run cats with anything.

If you get rid of your headers, sell them to Xcentric because his car sounds like a Corolla.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
What boost level are you running? If you drive fairly aggressively, I would not runs cats with anything beyond the common pulley/tune. If you are not into the boost often and long, you can run cats with anything.

If you get rid of your headers, sell them to Xcentric because his car sounds like a Corolla.

BAHAHAHA! I confess, I had header lust after just seeing (not hearing) Sinovac's. Then, when he pulled out of Cars and Coffee last Saturday, I had to change my shorts after a very quick standing at attention.

Last edited:

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

18 psi boost, 673 RWHP (Torrie Tune) Accufab, Mafia, pulley (Kenne Bell).

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
If you drive it hard, my humble suggestion is to avoid using cats.

See post #36 in this thread:
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?21031-GT500-a-blunt-instrument/page4

The cat failures happened with a little more boost than yours. Yes, it happened on a GT500 and yes I drive it like I stole it every time I turn the key, but others here have had failures on the GT. If you don't need the cats for emissions, it just isn't worth the risk in my opinion (unless you drive like an old lady :lol)

Last edited: