WTB/Looking for a complete set of Ahlman Coilovers Stage II

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
I've been working with Penske developing coilovers for the Murcielago. If anyone is interested in a set of Penske (2 or 3 way) feel free to message me and I can provide info.

I bought KW for my car, but ended up selling them to a friend while endlessly waiting for a backorder item. They look really nice (after all it is KW). But after seeing the Penske come in for the Lambo, I think they look nicer. Pictures of both are attached.

I do not think anyone offers an upper mount as pretty as Scott's.
There is something about the exposed heim joints and mounting tabs of the Penske shocks that I really like the look of. That being said the ride is extremely harsh regardless of the settings.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
By harsh, do you mean noisy? On relatively decent tarmac, like a track, I don’t even think that they are noisy, let alone harsh.

They are noisy on crappy roads tho.

I am not suggesting they are the equal of Scott’s coilovers, but one feature I do like is the drop isn’t limited to an inch.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
I have not noticed any noise from mine. I believe the Penske harshness is due to limited travel particularly in the front where the car is nearly riding on the bump stops when lowered.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
You must drive more aggressively than I do. That or I am ignorant of what bottoming out on the stops feels like.

Or both of the above.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Could also be a difference in ride height which will determine the amount of suspension travel available.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I am in the weeds.

Attachments

• 910DB3D3-10C0-4C23-A216-A1406DB0F452.jpeg
    910DB3D3-10C0-4C23-A216-A1406DB0F452.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 47

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Nice and low. That does look pretty similar in height to mine.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I called Scott and he didn’t have any available. Super awesome person too!
Id place an order so at least you know you’ll get them eventually

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
I am very sorry guys. In the past year I cannot find a machinist who will machine to our long standing design and specifications for these safety critical parts. The 3 different Wisconsin machinists we used the past 5 years are booked for about 2 years. And one local guy who quoted early last year is also booked for 2 years starting back in the winter of 2021-2022.

Unfortunately, I can't keep searching for machinists for such a small specialized run. Therefore, our custom Stage II Ohlins TTX's for the '05-'06 Ford GT are out of production until a capable machinist falls in my lap.

Bbhaynes

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 8, 2021
Madison, MS
I am very sorry guys. In the past year I cannot find a machinist who will machine to our long standing design and specifications for these safety critical parts. The 3 different Wisconsin machinists we used the past 5 years are booked for about 2 years. And one local guy who quoted early last year is also booked for 2 years starting back in the winter of 2021-2022.

Unfortunately, I can't keep searching for machinists for such a small specialized run. Therefore, our custom Stage II Ohlins TTX's for the '05-'06 Ford GT are out of production until a capable machinist falls in my lap.
This makes me so sad!! This would have really set off my build. I will continue to have hope. Scott, is there anyway I can get on a list so you can notify us when something will become available.

I really thought y’all could pull it off with Aaron’s help at Nth but understand the restraints. I appreciate y’all trying to work it out.

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
This makes me so sad!! This would have really set off my build. I will continue to have hope. Scott, is there anyway I can get on a list so you can notify us when something will become available.

I really thought y’all could pull it off with Aaron’s help at Nth but understand the restraints. I appreciate y’all trying to work it out.
I understand fully. I wish I could support you guys with these right now. One of my Forum friends is having me check with another machinist (a many FGT owner with a significant machine shop). Possible, but not probable as our complexity, tight specifications and very limited run (10 sets) is not making the cut in this high demand low supply world. No one needs "filler" work.

If I somehow make progress I will note it here. Will let you know what I find from this last guy. Otherwise, as I note, the right machinist is going to have to find me as I am out of time on this passion project. And I don't see that happening until the supply and demand world balances out.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
I send these guys transmission cases to bore out and sleeve. 1 day turn around. They also make bushings for transmissions. They're located in Sacramento. Might be worth a call.

http://www.apex-mfg.com/p/contact.html
I almost bet you called this guy, Tyson Garvin. They do some serious stuff

Didn't somebody on this site just get an industrial machine for their garage?

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Can you give a description of the parts? I can check around my contacts to see if anyone knows a competent shop in Vegas. Specifically, are these CNC machined parts or traditional tooling?

Also, on a scale of complexity and order size what are we looking at? You've obviously run these before in batches and presume you look at samples. In the past how many turns has it taken from first sample to production? It's going to be hard to find someone willing to sign up for 10 parts if it takes 10 tries to meet your quality metrics (note, there's nothing wrong with that, just like you said many places are booked and small complex orders go to the back of the line.)

Last edited:

Unexpected61

Aug 26, 2021
Marco Island FL.
sahlmam do you have a .stp file you can send me?

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
This would be a great upgrade for our '05-'06 Ford GTs. Hoping that supply chain improves and we can get Scott's amazing suspension back online for some point in the future.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Scott’s product is night and day superior compared to the Penske’s
I hope the supply and machinist issues get sorted out. Hats off to Scott! You have no idea how brilliant Scott is. Plus he’s a great guy!
I feel very lucky and I’m proud to have them on my 06 GT

Reactions: Hydra GT

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I’m glad I snagged a set a year ago. I really like the easy to adjust knobs. I can quickly dial down the damping for the street, and then firm up the adjustments for the track.

Reactions: Hydra GT

Hydra GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 18, 2008
Delray Beach, FL
I have a set of these. I could never find someone to install and was not confident enough to do it myself. Let me know if anyone is interested.
I am interested. Can you PM me or email Sks91 at Comcast.net

GSix

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 27, 2021
Chicagoland
I was kicking this upgrade around and never clicked the button. I would add to the order if they became available again.