witch replica ac cobra is a good one to buy

mopar

GT Owner
Jan 23, 2014
grosse ile mich
I know a local Michigan guy, from Grosse Pointe who bought a Ford GT and wants to sell his Cobra.

I PMed you no sure it went thru

Last edited:

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Another option to consider if you haven't looked at them already is the Scarab. You can get a complete all aluminum painted roller for less than $100k. Or they offer a turnkey for less than $150k.
http://www.scarab-motorsports.com/model.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 372

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
My two cents

I've had my Superformance for 12 years and been very happy with it over all. I bought mine used with 1200 miles on it and for the money the build quality is very good. I debated on weather to get a big block or a stroked 351. After a lot of thought and consulting with Dennis Olthoff who had a lot of race experience in these, I chose a 408 Stroker. HP is around 550, torque 500. It is all the power I'll need.

After owning mine for over ten years with the side pipes, I got tired of the noise and burn factor of the side pipes. I otherwise really liked the car so I sent it to Olthoff's and had the street car exhaust and bumpers put on mine. Not a small undertaking but much cheaper than selling my car and trying to build a new one. I've been really happy with it and surprisingly have had a lot of people say they like the look better. To each his own, I'm happy with it.

Rick

Attachments

• Cobra no sidepipes.jpg
    Cobra no sidepipes.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 355

bobster_rulez

Dec 4, 2012
What's the general opinion of Backdraft Cobras?

I have one and love it, just like a superformance it's a factory built car from South Africa. Not a kit car.
They are a real mans car, you aren't going to go on a road trip in one.
it will wear you out.

mopar

GT Owner
Jan 23, 2014
grosse ile mich
I've had my Superformance for 12 years and been very happy with it over all. I bought mine used with 1200 miles on it and for the money the build quality is very good. I debated on weather to get a big block or a stroked 351. After a lot of thought and consulting with Dennis Olthoff who had a lot of race experience in these, I chose a 408 Stroker. HP is around 550, torque 500. It is all the power I'll need.

After owning mine for over ten years with the side pipes, I got tired of the noise and burn factor of the side pipes. I otherwise really liked the car so I sent it to Olthoff's and had the street car exhaust and bumpers put on mine. Not a small undertaking but much cheaper than selling my car and trying to build a new one. I've been really happy with it and surprisingly have had a lot of people say they like the look better. To each his own, I'm happy with it.

Rick

very nice

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Looks great Rick. I prefer the rear exit pipes that you have.

mopar

GT Owner
Jan 23, 2014
grosse ile mich
Mopar / Happy to help you out in your quest and questions / I am a factory-authorized Shelby-American (SAI) dealer as well as a SAI Mod Shop. Please let me know if I can help. www.planetshelbycobra.com

Stephen

I will try and give u a call today

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
There are so many differing opinions on Cobra Replicas because there are so many versions of this car, many out of business now. Some are built well and some are built very, very bad. Those that are built bad, handle bad, and those that are built well, handle well. I don't feel a well built replica is any quirkier than any other powerful, short wheel based car, but as previous posters said don't expect them to stop or feel like modern sports cars which have power brakes, etc. Remember, they are 1960s cars like the old 1960s Mustangs, GTOs, Vetts, etc. and handle like 1960s sports cars. I've owned my Cobra for 17 years, am 68 years old, and have never had a problem with its handling at numerous tracks and autocrosses, and still enjoy driving it on the street without any problems. I think my Unique Motorcars replica is very predictable to drive and I have had it over 165 mph on Sebring and Mid-Ohio tracks. I don't drive this fast anymore as the vibration was excessive and I think it was getting ready to fly since Cobras are not aerodynamic like modern sports cars. I just drove it today in 69F as a matter of fact and had a hoot making lots of noise, feeling the wind in my face, feeling the raw engine vibrations and raw acceleration and the smells. I still get all the same attention as I get with my Ford GT. People love the Cobra as much as the GT.

I feel there are 5 well built replicas that are almost identical in quality and performance which you should consider. I feel the best replicas for your money are made by Unique Motorcars in Gadsden AL, ERA in CT, and Superformance in S. Africa with dealers around the USA. If you feel that paying big dollars for something makes you feel better, then replicas built by Shelby and Kirkham are the ones I'd be confident about purchasing, these 2 are also the only people making aluminum bodies I believe if that is what you prefer. I feel these 5 manufacturers are your best choices.

Last edited:

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
Cobra replicas

Plus One on what To Awsum said......

My ERA 289 FIA has been on the road for eighteen years....never a dull moment or regret.....

C1.jpg

Jeff

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
I had an ERA for four years, side-oiler , twin holleys, and full independent suspension? It looked fantastic in all black, no stripes. It was rock-solid with no issues. I think Kirkham for alloy body, ERA for most accurate fibreglass, then the backdrafts, FFs etc for cheap and cheerful. Sold mine because I drove it less and less - a beautiful car to look at, a total PITA to drive

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
I have one and love it, just like a superformance it's a factory built car from South Africa. Not a kit car.
They are a real mans car, you aren't going to go on a road trip in one.
it will wear you out.

When I ran the Big Bend Open Roadrace there was a guy there in his Cobra that he drove from Denver and I hear he is still returning in it each year since

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
I have a Factory Five. It was built to be able to perform well on the track and I did that often until I got into more serious road racing. The Factory Five is an excellent Cobra, now in its fifth generation. And you can have it your way. Any engine, transmission, etc. Thousands of followers ready to offer input on anything Cobra on their excellent forum. A friend of mine runs Shelby factory race cars and is well known with Cobras, GT40s, etc. He has told me on more on one occasion how superior the Factory Five suspension is.

I would suggest deciding what you would want in a Cobra (what engine, suspension, transmission, wheels, tires, color, etc.) and have a reputable Factory Five builder create just what you want. I think you would have your ideal Cobra at a cost effective price. And, price aside, I would certainly get a Factory Five again.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
When I ran the Big Bend Open Roadrace there was a guy there in his Cobra that he drove from Denver and I hear he is still returning in it each year since

I think they go every year, one is a lawyer, the other a mechanic. They drive to and from regardless of weather - last year they drove home to Colorado through a blizzard!.

There is a real 427 Cobra living in Fort Stockton. It's Gulf Orange, original paint, was the owners only wheels for many years.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
What's the general opinion of Backdraft Cobras?

They are here in Florida. I've see a few. I am not a Cobra expert but they look nice and the frame quality looks good. I think they have an extended cock pit for more leg room..

Tomcat

GT Owner
A car buddy of mine built, drove for ~10 years, and sold his original Factory Five Cobra and is now building another one...so he went back to the same well!

mopar

GT Owner
Jan 23, 2014
grosse ile mich
Im looking for a 60k cobra stroked small block maybe big block superformace, factory five, back-draft witch is the best.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Im looking for a 60k cobra stroked small block maybe big block superformace, factory five, back-draft witch is the best.
Of the three, SPF. But the price will probably exclude SPF.

Look at what's on www.cobracountry.com. It's the best Cobra for sale web site. I sold mine there.

mopar

GT Owner
Jan 23, 2014
grosse ile mich
Of the three, SPF. But the price will probably exclude SPF.

Look at what's on www.cobracountry.com. It's the best Cobra for sale web site. I sold mine there.

I think SPF is the way im going

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I think SPF is the way im going

I think you will be much happier with the quality of the SPF over the others. But you should sit in the one you intend to buy. The reason is that there are differences in how the steering wheel is placed. SPFs being a factory car vary less, but between generations they do change, so sitting in a relatively new car won't give you the same confirmation as a 10 year old one. I found when I was buying in 2009 that a 2007 vintage SPFs steering wheel hit me on my lap when the seat was in the correct position! My Shelby CSX was a little higher.

Good luck! They are a beast though.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
We have had several Kirkhams. Their build quality is hard to beat...
Here is one we have for sale now
http://eliteautosllc.com/vehicle/shelby-cobra-kirkham-2/