Willow Springs

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
Who would be interested in doing a track day there? And does anyone have experience setting it up?

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
Call the front office at Willow Springs and inquire about available open track dates. This time of year they still normally can accomodate private parties especially if you can accept a weekday. Weekend dates are generally harder to get on short notice(and more $). If you want to do something exclusive the next couple of weeks it should run you around 3 grand. When booking, verify that they'll have fuel facilities available as well as a flat bed tow truck.

If you want corner workers or an ambulance on hand they can also help you make arrangements.

Make sure you tell them you want the Big track. The smaller tracks won't suit the GT.

-Kent

If you book a date let me know, I'd love to join you.

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
Here is the link to the track days coming up at WSIR.

WSIR Calendar

I have run with many of the groups listed. I run mainly time trials with NASA in my FFR Cobra. Most groups have good instruction for the beginning/intermediate levels, which I highly recommend. They will start you out with safety basics and teach you the track lines, breaking points, etc.

You can also run test and tune on Fridays, but you should have some track experience before that as there are a lot of serious racers out on those days and they don't appreciate someone that doesn't know track procedures.

Craig

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2006
San Diego
LA COCOA (Cobra Owners Club Of America) rents the track in mid May and the end of October for Shelby cars only. As soon as I get the entry form I will post it here
http://socalsaac.org
It is $200 for the weekend and you will get over 2 hours of track time each day.

An alternative is Viper Days, a well run national organization that runs track events and schools directed towards Vipers, but welcome any other High performance cars. A first timer is assigned a personal instructor that is theirs for the weekend, to help them understand the track, and how to drive fast safely. It is a good group but a little more expensive. The next event is in April 1-2 at Button Willow, near Bakersfield. http://www.viperdays.com/detailsbutton.html

I am an instructor for Viper days, race a GT-350 and just took delivery of a new 2005 GT. I plan on brining it to Button Willow in April.

See you there!!!

wonkawonka

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Lebanon
kjslider said:
Make sure you tell them you want the Big track. The smaller tracks won't suit the GT.
I beg to differ. Having tracked the GT twice on the big track, I'd say that as the weekend driver that I am, the Streets of Willow track would be a load of fun on the GT.
The big track is all about cojones, and racing a 550HP monster without a rollcage means that you're a madman or you're going to go at 60-70% of max.
On the small track, you may well get as much enjoyment without the scare.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
wonkawonka said:
I beg to differ. Having tracked the GT twice on the big track, I'd say that as the weekend driver that I am, the Streets of Willow track would be a load of fun on the GT.
The big track is all about cojones, and racing a 550HP monster without a rollcage means that you're a madman or you're going to go at 60-70% of max.

exactly, Willow's big track is the fastest track in the West. Great advise.

Craig

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2006
San Diego
Drivers ed.

Willow is a fast track, and if you scare yourself there then you are going too fast. I also agree that that you can have fun on a smaller track, but before going out on any track you should take lessons on how to drive on the track. There are several options. University of VARA is held and Buttonwillow every year in late January or early February. There is skid pad pactice, 3 hours of classroom, braking prctice, and 3-4 hours of track time all for $300, using your car. Viper Days training is the same kind of thing, but you have an instructor assigned to you for the weekend who is at your beck and call. I would encourage anyone who is driving a high performance car like the GT to attend some formal training with instructors. It is fun, you learn a lot, and you will be much safer on the street or track.

Craig

Pipelion

Craig,

Welcome to the forum!

Allan :biggrin

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Craig said:
Willow is a fast track, and if you scare yourself there then you are going too fast. I also agree that that you can have fun on a smaller track, but before going out on any track you should take lessons on how to drive on the track. There are several options. University of VARA is held and Buttonwillow every year in late January or early February. There is skid pad pactice, 3 hours of classroom, braking prctice, and 3-4 hours of track time all for $300, using your car. Viper Days training is the same kind of thing, but you have an instructor assigned to you for the weekend who is at your beck and call. I would encourage anyone who is driving a high performance car like the GT to attend some formal training with instructors. It is fun, you learn a lot, and you will be much safer on the street or track.

Craig

Great advise, my only issue with the GT is lack of a cage, six point belts, fire system, race seat, fuel cell. It is an amazing road car, but not a race car as it sits now.

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Bony, I'm with you. These are fantastic STREET cars, but they need modification for serious track duty. A Z06-R still requires a $15,000 (factory)roll cage for track duty. Ford did a great job, but our cars are not "race cars". They have factory warrantees after all. JMHO.

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
wonkawonka said:

I appreciate your comments. The big track is the faster of the two no doubt. Both tracks should be safe if driver's drive within their limits.

The problem with the small track is that you wouldn't need to take the GT out of second except, perhaps, on the front straight(maybe the back). The top speed there is prolly no faster than 125-130. I ran my race prepped Evo('05 SCCA ITE Champion) @ 1:22 the other month. I think that is a production car record time there. I don't even get that thing into 4th and I brake WAY late.

The small track can be fun, that's for sure. Lots of turns and elevation changes. But you won't get a chance to use much of the gearbox.

Last edited:

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
Buttonwillow is an hours extra drive from LA and halfway between LA and the Bay area(SF). Might be an excellent choice, a nice compromise between the two tracks at Willow Springs.

Might also draw some of the Bay area guys.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
kjslider, great news! another SCCA racer on the board, obviously (user name), I have an SRF that I run out here in the northeast.

There is a regional (I'm not going) @ VIR this weekend so FINALLY our season is begining!!!!

Andy

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
In an ideal world everyone knows their limits. I am all for open track events.
I am also for increasing my odds, I don't feel the GT is a great open track car.
My next toy will be a CUP car to run in vintage events, lots of power and safer than my barco lounger :biggrin

About two years ago I was at Thunderhill, when a guy who was a regular rolled a couple of times his Superformance Cobra. He had lots of track time, graduate of several schools, just did something wrong and got crossed up. He still have not recovered full use of his arm and hand. Sorry to be a wet towel.
There are other people on this board who have had some pretty bad shunts at club days and open tracks. Be safe, have fun.

Last edited:

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
Bony, track events are best organized according to drivers abilities as opposed to what it is they'll be driving IMHO. There are a few track day organizers on the west coast(Speedventures, AROSC to name a few) that typically organize run groups based on driver ability/experience. They also provide limited instruction for newbies.

I can barely fit into the GT cockpit, I'm 6'5", and can't fit at all wearing a helmut. I'm in line to ge thte GTX1 conversion anyhow so it's unlikely I'll be getting this wonderful car on the track anytime soon!!

Andy, yes it's great race season has finally started :banana !! My team manager wants to keep his race license current for the year so he'll get his four races "out of the way" by renting some rx7's and entering ITS and ITE both Sat. and Sun. He rented me one as well so I'll get to battle it out with my teammate. It should be fun.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Have fun! IT sure looks like fun, you should try an SRF some day, and there is nothing like starting in a pack of 90 @ sebring...........

I have always had a personal thought, NEVER race your street car, how can you get home when there is an accedent? With that thought, track days should always be treated with the utmost care. Remember these are street cars, street tires, street springs / shocks, and ride height. Suspension set up is about compromise no matter what, but if one of the trade offs is the car bieng streetable............

BUT, still looking forward to driving the GT on the track at 80%, understanding the my cornering speeds will be higher in my 100hp racecar.......

Craig

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2006
San Diego
Race car not

You guys are correct the GT is not a race car, but it has race car performance and that is where we get into trouble. When I suggest training, I'm not talking about race training, but car control training, which can save lives. The training I have been sugesting is just that, they talk and demonstrate wieght transfer, and how to control it. For instance, if you think you are entering a turn too fast the natural reaction would be to lift, but in our cars that will give you trailing throttle overstear and you lose control. Even if we make a mistake, and we all do, you do not want to lose control of the car, drive it off the road. I have a perfect example (although some what embarrasing :ack ) in the attached photo. I went in too hot into the corkscrew at Laguna Seca, and wouldn't you know it, there was a photographer there taken pictures. This one showed up on the front page of the sports section of the Monterey paper. At least they spelled my name right. But, My point is, if I hadn't driven off the road in control, I would have spun off into the tire wall, causing significant damage. I am doing about 60 MPH in the photo and it would be impossible to slow down.

OK, I'm off my soap box and will go back to work now.

Craig

Attachments

• corkscrew.jpg
    corkscrew.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 52

Pipelion

Nice looking car. Glad you kept it out of the tires.

Cheers,

Allan

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
There ya go, stay on the gas!!! :willy

Cool pic-nice save!

Bman33

GT Owner
Feb 22, 2006