Will not start...

Woboose

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 2, 2006
Malibu, CA
That's it. No crank, not one turn, just wont start. Lights are strong.

What say you?

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
That's it. No crank, not one turn, just wont start. Lights are strong.

What say you?

Too much parting over the weekend at your house.:lol :eek :lol

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Loose ground strap at the battery, or battery low despite your trip.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Sounds like a loose ground to me as well. This my sound dumb but does your fuel gauge work? On my car the first sign of a bad battery is a dead fuel gauge.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
What does volt meter say?

ps, I had this once and took key out and put it back in. Voila start.

An overnight charge with cigarette adapter should help for enough for 1 crank

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...And, if all the above duzzunt do squat for yuh - then yuh pbly gotta "dead" section in the battery (regardless of "lights") so there aren't enough cranking amps left over for the starter to even say "hello".

Bill Oxley

GT Owner
Jun 15, 2006
Denver area
If you have normal lights, and the gauges work with key on, and no noise of any kind when you hit the start button, I'm not thinking battery, but guessing starter solenoid, or starter.

Although, I'd think that would be odd for a car this new.

Best of luck, let us know.

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
Will not start

It may be the CLUTCH "interlock" not making contact !!

AMB

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
It may be the CLUTCH "interlock" not making contact !!

AMB

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup I think we ALL forgot that one!!!!!:thumbsup

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Do you hear the fuel pump start up?. Does it sound normal or sound like it is in slow mo. If in slo mo, then that would indicate the AMPs issue, as it draws big amps compared to lights and gauges.

It is pretty normal to see a battery with a surface charge of good volts, then on a draw down test it goes from say 12.7v to 3v and reovers to only 5v, not enough to even bump the starter.

If you have a battery charger with jump start capability you could try that. If she cranks, then it's the dead cell issue. You will need to replace the battery. If you still get nothing I would say the battery is not the problem.

Your local Autozone can test the battery but, I would take it out of the car and bring it in. They also sell an Optima that should fit, but it does not have the extra lip of the OEM battery on the base. When looking for my car I saw 2 used GTs that had regular Optimas mounted in them.

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Do you hear the fuel pump start up?. Does it sound normal or sound like it is in slow mo. If in slo mo, then that would indicate the AMPs issue, as it draws big amps compared to lights and gauges.

It is pretty normal to see a battery with a surface charge of good volts, then on a draw down test it goes from say 12.7v to 3v and reovers to only 5v, not enough to even bump the starter.

If you have a battery charger with jump start capability you could try that. If she cranks, then it's the dead cell issue. You will need to replace the battery. If you still get nothing I would say the battery is not the problem.

Your local Autozone can test the battery but, I would take it out of the car and bring it in. They also sell an Optima that should fit, but it does not have the extra lip of the OEM battery on the base. When looking for my car I saw 2 used GTs that had regular Optimas mounted in them.

My experience with the Optima was it was taller than the "Ford GT" battery and made it difficult to install the "luggage compartment" properly.:willy

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Hey Bruce,

You say no crank but strong headlights. Strong headlights would say that for sure you have good voltage at the battery and a reasonable chance for amperage.

1. Inspect cables at battery for tight connections
2. Clutch interlock switch is a good idea too. My clutch pedal has to be smashed before it will allow cranking. Easy to see it becoming a problem.
3. I noticed this weekend that we have same exhaust - great minds think alike! Well, the headers run REAL close to the starter and starter wires. With the temps in this w/e's run, you could have melted something. To inspect, you probably would have to drop the rear pan. Disconnect the battery if you suspect anything is amiss at the starter. You don't want to make a bad situation worse!

Let us know what you find!

Woboose

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 2, 2006
Malibu, CA
you were correct...

This was your quote and you were spot on. Make sure if you're not running stock pipes you have adequate heat shields!

Thanks

3. I noticed this weekend that we have same exhaust - great minds think alike! Well, the headers run REAL close to the starter and starter wires. With the temps in this w/e's run, you could have melted something. To inspect, you probably would have to drop the rear pan. Disconnect the battery if you suspect anything is amiss at the starter. You don't want to make a bad situation worse!

jkgt

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2006
Colorado
Is this a problem that we all (with aftermarket exhaust) needs to think and worry about?

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
jkgt - They have both the ford racing long tube headers. If you do not have long tubes you will be fine. If you do, it sounds like some heat shield to protect the wiring in this area is a must.

Pegasusracing.com , Jegs, Summit all sell heat sheilds from sleeves to mats that you customeize yourself.

FLASH

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 29, 2006
Atlanta, Ga.
When I went to pegasusracing.com I logged into a yachting site.
Flash

GT Charlie

Jun 23, 2007
San Francisco Bay Area
Perhaps your theft system is not reading your key. Try the other key.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
They have both the ford racing long tube headers.

I think we have the Ford Racing Rear Exit Headers. The difference is that the long tube headers bolt up to the stock muffler. Both header types eliminate the cat because there is no room for them with the headers. The rear exit headers use a Borla "collector muffler".... thugh it doesn't muffle much.