Why?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Seriously, there must be something in the water lately...

I just don't get it. If you don't like something and want to bitch about it, why do it to a bunch of people who do like it and don't want to hear you bitch about it? :willy :lol

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
If I can scratch up the scratch, I'd certainly like to have a companion Shelby GT 500, same color, etc. And for no-curves racing, the Muskrat would be the car I'd do the engine mods to. The trouble is the new Hemi Challenger has kinda stolen my very fickle pony car heart.

Last edited:

Gburg

Feb 28, 2006
Columbus, OH
DBK said:
Seriously, there must be something in the water lately...

I just don't get it. If you don't like something and want to bitch about it, why do it to a bunch of people who do like it and don't want to hear you bitch about it? :willy :lol

It is not that I do not like the Ford GT. The GT is the only Ford (except Lincolns) that I have ever considered. I had a Lincoln LS. What I do not like is the short production run after development. I do not like the lack of support from Ford for the GT.

This is the key point for me. After buying a car like the GT, I expect it to be fully supported by its manufacturer. I should be able to stop at any Ford dealership for service from factory trained technicians. I expect any dealer's service department to be able to maintain my car, as it came from the factory. Hunt around for a Ford dealer that has the proper service lifts and mechanics that can service a GT is outrageous!! Unacceptable. I can't see a justification for buying a GT. I do not have the garage, the tools, the time, or see a need to learn how to do all maintainance work myself. For me the GT would become garage jewelry. A six-figure car of mine will be driven and fully maintained. Service after the sale is a vital sale decision factor.

Unlike the other Fords, there is no "Build Your Own GT" or "Get a Dealer Price Quote" location on the web site. I am not sure that a GT could be ordered at all. The GT has never been advertised on TV by Ford.

All of this lack of support, by Ford is what I do not like. I saw a red GT, a silver Shelby GR-1 and a red Shelby GT500 last weekend, at the Columbus auto show and had the "hots" for the GT. The service after the sale issue threw cold water on making a purchase decision. I'm brokenhearted over it guys. :frown :shrug

Gburg

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Ditto, I'm a mess!!!! :tongue

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
I'm back in therapy over this...

HJP

GTX1 Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 13, 2005
Chicago
You guys are a hoot, can't wait to get together in the Motor City.

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
Gburg said:
It is not that I do not like the Ford GT. The GT is the only Ford (except Lincolns) that I have ever considered. I had a Lincoln LS. What I do not like is the short production run after development. I do not like the lack of support from Ford for the GT.

This is the key point for me. After buying a car like the GT, I expect it to be fully supported by its manufacturer. I should be able to stop at any Ford dealership for service from factory trained technicians. I expect any dealer's service department to be able to maintain my car, as it came from the factory. Hunt around for a Ford dealer that has the proper service lifts and mechanics that can service a GT is outrageous!! Unacceptable. I can't see a justification for buying a GT. I do not have the garage, the tools, the time, or see a need to learn how to do all maintainance work myself. For me the GT would become garage jewelry. A six-figure car of mine will be driven and fully maintained. Service after the sale is a vital sale decision factor.

Unlike the other Fords, there is no "Build Your Own GT" or "Get a Dealer Price Quote" location on the web site. I am not sure that a GT could be ordered at all. The GT has never been advertised on TV by Ford.

All of this lack of support, by Ford is what I do not like. I saw a red GT, a silver Shelby GR-1 and a red Shelby GT500 last weekend, at the Columbus auto show and had the "hots" for the GT. The service after the sale issue threw cold water on making a purchase decision. I'm brokenhearted over it guys. :frown :shrug

Gburg

Gburg,

You’re wrong about numerous things in your post. I’ll focus on two of the most obvious as I personally believe Ford’s support for the GT is at least equivalent to that provided my other manufacturers who produce products in this class. Forty Porsche Carrera GTs were sold in the United Kingdom, where I live. None of these cars can be serviced at UK Porsche dealers. There is one UK site that Porsche has certified, with trained technicians, to service this car. Ford also has one UK site (Roush UK) to service the twenty-eight Ford GTs it sold here and in my experience the level of service provided by Roush has been exceptional.

As for advertising the GT, Ford ran the sixty second spot (The One) during the 2004 Super Bowl. You must have missed it but I think it’s the best car commercial every made.

Rob

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Gburg said:

All I can say is that you shouldn't be surprised, because from virtually the time the car was conceived they stated the car would only be built for two years. I was in my, uh, "reading room" :lol poring over a Car and Driver from 2003, and that was explicitly stated even then.

Gburg said:
I can't see a justification for buying a GT.
Okee dokee. Nobody here is going to try and convince you. But I can assure you the members of the GT team go :willy trying to find a solution when there is an issue. This site plays a pretty decent role in communicating things that do crop up.

Gburg said:
Gburg

:lol Why would they? I mean, what is there to build? There's already a color selector, and the only 4 options are stereo, wheel, stripe, and caliper. They cost 4,000, 3,500, 5,500, and 750 respectively (if they haven't changed since I saw the order sheet). Typically, with a four option car they are only building roughly 3500 units of, there really isn't that much need to put a "build your own" thing...

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Fourcam330 said:
What, no L2 01 Cobra? :)

If you miss him come to austinsvt.com. We have been trying to ban him for almost a year. If you need some laughter checkout the throwdown section.

He can't even change his own sparkplugs.

Gburg

Feb 28, 2006
Columbus, OH
DBK said:
All I can say is that you shouldn't be surprised, because from virtually the time the car was conceived they stated the car would only be built for two years. I was in my, uh, "reading room" :lol poring over a Car and Driver from 2003, and that was explicitly stated even then.

Most of my life my interests have been a GM, Chrysler, BMW, Ferrari or Mercedes. I have not followed Fords. I "discovered" the GT less than three months ago. For this reason, the GT was about to go out of production before I read anything about it. :wink

Okee dokee. Nobody here is going to try and convince you. But I can assure you the members of the GT team go :willy trying to find a solution when there is an issue. This site plays a pretty decent role in communicating things that do crop up.

Issue: Columbus, Ohio...Ford dealership that can properly service the GT.

:lol Why would they? I mean, what is there to build? There's already a color selector, and the only 4 options are stereo, wheel, stripe, and caliper. They cost 4,000, 3,500, 5,500, and 750 respectively (if they haven't changed since I saw the order sheet). Typically, with a four option car they are only building roughly 3500 units of, there really isn't that much need to put a "build your own" thing...

Oh, OK. Never ordered a car like the GT, that has only four options. New experience. :biggrin

Gburg

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Service for these cars

So just how many Ferrari/Porsche/Lambo/Maserati/Bentley/Jaguar/Aston dealerships do you think exist to service these exotics? So what if only 2 of 20 Ford dealerships can fully service a GT? Any of these other cars end up being towed to major big cities, the only places you can find any service. Ford's done a very credible job with access to service. ALL dealerships can get the info in a pinch. Go cry someplace else.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
He sounds like my wife when I'm hung over :ack

TLP

Jan 21, 2006
So sad

Since I dont post much I wont feed the troll, however for you GT owners (lucky bastards) wouldnt it be great if a company had a product that was so recognized it was completly spoken for prior to development? A product that was so wanted that people paid twice the asking price? A product so good that it was the pinnacle for a 100 plus year old company? A product that had a heritage and pedegree unmatched by any other product in its arena, a product so steeped in tradition you didnt even need to tell people it was for sale, they simply came asking to buy it! A product that even after sixty years out of circulation it was instantly recognized by every fan of the category?

Well I guess most of you know what I am talking about! :thumbsup

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Do you know how many people would be happy to change oil on a Ford GT or other exotic.

Would be happy to go searching to find the right dealer or independent mechanic to take pride in their machine?

I guess that's what an enthusiast is.

If you cannot find joy in considering purchasing an exotic car, then I feel for you. I wonder what your work is like. It must be a living hell, if recreational pursuits are such a torture.

Life is tough. Tougher for some, than others. Part of that has to do with perspective.

Every time I look in the garage, I realize how lucky I am.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Gburg said:
The GT has never been advertised on TV by Ford.
Gburg

Wow. These are high standards you set for determining a worthy vehicle. I am just so glad that the GT actually did have a commercial. I would hate to have purchased a limited production car knowing that it had never been in a TV commercial. :wink

Fairly unusual rationalizations. Whatever makes you satisfied that you didn't buy one. To each his own.

:frown

tcm668

Oct 10, 2006
Hope there is room for the occasional non-whining, Cobra R owner. :biggrin

I am looking to add a GT-500 to my stable in the near future.

I personally love to do much of my own wrenching, only because I know what has been done, and how it has been done.

Best regards.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
tcm668 said:
Hope there is room for the occasional non-whining, Cobra R owner. :biggrin

I am looking to add a GT-500 to my stable in the near future.

I personally love to do much of my own wrenching, only because I know what has been done, and how it has been done.

Best regards.

Hey TCM668

www.fordgt500forum.com

I haven't put much effort into it, but will be doing so shortly. I still think there's a market for the more, er, mature GT500 fan...

tcm668

Oct 10, 2006
Thanks for the heads up.

I love the GT, especially in Heritage Colors, and hope to eventually get one. Saw my first GT40 during my time on the set of Die Another Day, when Ford brought out all kinds of toys during the production.

Anyways, I've wasted enough bandwidth.

Thanks and best regards.

Don ...

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Fourcam330 said:
What, no L2 01 Cobra? :)

If you miss him I could invite him to move to MI. Texas is very tired of that whiny POS.

rmartin175

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 15, 2006
Delaplane, Virginia
Dave, Thanks for setting up the GT500 Section.
To my GT collection, we have recently added the 2006 Shelby GT-H(ertz) edition, CSM06H0385. 1st one to be auctioned to the public.
Recently purchased one of the two 2007 Shelby GT prototype cars, CSM07GT02P from Shelby.
And we have two Shelby GT500's coming... just got back from Flat Rock where we saw our 1st come off the production line (Grabber orange with white stripes) and the 2nd to come off the line next month (grabber orange with tungsten stripes) - both cars are slated to go to Shelby for the 40th Anniversary mods.
Thanks again for the section so that the GT-H, GT, and GT500 owners can share ideas, etc. Watch for a 2008 Shelby GT500KR edition!