Why is it difficult to get GT parts?

GT57

GT Owner
Apr 2, 2022
It’s pretty much impossible for me to order parts from ford with out them sending me an email saying the part is discontinued or on back order with no ETA.

Do you guys find it hard and how do you deal with such situation?

XL3Z-9601-AA - Air filter is on back order with no ETA. This is a service part which should be available at all times from Ford. I do understand that the number of cars are limited but the car is not very old. It’s 17 year old. What would happen after 30 years?

If anybody can help with this list of parts it would be great.
XL3Z-9601-AA
4G7Z-19712-AA
4G7Z-9L443-FA

Also what’s the deal with them asking for vin#, images, mileage and registration of the car every time you buy parts?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
The reason for having to provide a VIN, and proof of ownership, is that there were a few individuals that were buying up all of the parts to then resell them for profit (wiping out Fords inventory). As inconvenient as it is, it is actually in your best interest.

Johntpr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 18, 2017
Rockland County, NY
Air Filters by Fram..cheap from Walmart.com FRAM Extra Guard Air Filter, CA8958 for Select Ford Vehicle (need 2)

Reactions: GT57 and Oz-ATL

Johntpr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 18, 2017
Rockland County, NY
The other two parts...condensor....you sure yours is bad?

The hose...what is that for?... is it this power steering hose? ...if not, you probably need one of these hoses anyway: https://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/threads/05-06-power-steering-hose-deterioration.38065/

Reactions: GT57

69b302

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2021
Upstate NY
The GT specific parts go thru the GT group at Ford, which has to be called in. It pays to find a dealer familiar with the process. I have had parts show in a few days, and others much longer. It does seem to be extra work, on the dealers part, vs normal Ford parts.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
It’s pretty much impossible for me to order parts from ford with out them sending me an email saying the part is discontinued or on back order with no ETA.

Do you guys find it hard and how do you deal with such situation?

XL3Z-9601-AA - Air filter is on back order with no ETA. This is a service part which should be available at all times from Ford. I do understand that the number of cars are limited but the car is not very old. It’s 17 year old. What would happen after 30 years?

If anybody can help with this list of parts it would be great.
XL3Z-9601-AA
4G7Z-19712-AA
4G7Z-9L443-FA

Also what’s the deal with them asking for vin#, images, mileage and registration of the car every time you buy parts?
Both the 4g part numbers are on back order no date available..

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
one of the reasons I am afraid to drive my car. Damage a fender and not find a replacement besides taking a depreciation hit! Cannot even get rear clamshell shocks! I can drive my 60 Porsche roadster and get anything I need. I actually was deluded when I purchased and thought: Well it is a Ford so I should never have a problem getting parts!!

Reactions: Anderson and GT57

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
one of the reasons I am afraid to drive my car. Damage a fender and not find a replacement besides taking a depreciation hit! Cannot even get rear clamshell shocks! I can drive my 60 Porsche roadster and get anything I need. I actually was deluded when I purchased and thought: Well it is a Ford so I should never have a problem getting parts!!
shocks are available.. There are some parts that are NLA.. People with in the community are gonna have to step up and reproduce or these cars are gonna be garage art!

Reactions: 69b302 and GT57

GT57

GT Owner
Apr 2, 2022
The reason for having to provide a VIN, and proof of ownership, is that there were a few individuals that were buying up all of the parts to then resell them for profit (wiping out Fords inventory). As inconvenient as it is, it is actually in your best interest.
It makes perfect sense what you are saying but even with providing the vin# and all the details Ford still can’t supply a lot of parts and few are discontinued. The thing is some people will use the car and it will get damaged but no replacement will be found. Think of it in the next 30 or 40 years. You will have few GT’s parked with no fender,front windscreen or a headlight

Air Filters by Fram..cheap from Walmart.com FRAM Extra Guard Air Filter, CA8958 for Select Ford Vehicle (need 2)
Thanks will check them out.
The other two parts...condensor....you sure yours is bad?

The hose...what is that for?... is it this power steering hose? ...if not, you probably need one of these hoses anyway: https://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/threads/05-06-power-steering-hose-deterioration.38065/
Yes mine is very bad and yes its a power steering hose. :) This is a keeper and a driver
True. One damage fender and it’s a parked car for few years until you get one from ford or Ebay. :)

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
True. One damage fender and it’s a parked car for few years until you get one from ford or Ebay. :)
Insurance companies are already prone to totaling cars with even minor damage. This will eventually result in a change from rebuilding salvage cars to those units being source for replacement parts.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
The reality is that MANY of the suppliers that made the parts for the cars, are simply no longer in business. Ford has worked hard to deal with this, finding new suppliers, but it's not easy and takes time.

Kpgarage

GT Owner
Mar 17, 2019
The market will answer. “If someone will buy it they will make it”
Dennis Carpenter Parts is a great example. He started making dash knobs for 40 Fords in his kitchen and saw the market for obsolete parts. His company flourished from there. Same thing with the GT. Ford has a built in obsolescence in parts system. Normally I believe it’s ten years after last vehicle. I’ve read that Edsel Ford was instrumental in extending that to 15 for the GT. So for 15 years most spare GT parts have been warehoused and supplied through Memphis. B.M.F. Is correct. Some in the community will need to step up and manufacture. There is a strong market for them. I’ve seen absolutely super rare car parts getting repopped from other countries at very reasonable prices. The old British car market is proof of that. Someone ( in the US) recently even repopped the bumblebee radiator hoses for the 1968 Triumph TR250. There are probably less than a thousand of those left in the world.
Don’t panic. This community is filled with smart business people. Opportunity abounds.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I think the main answer is that Ford committed to supplying parts for 15 years(?), and that deadline just passed.

Reactions: Kpgarage

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
A lot has to do with how many potential sales can be made.

Daniel Carpenter had several million Mustangs owners to sell to.

With so many FGTs becoming Blue Chip museum trading pieces, there aren't many potential owners out there demanding parts.

Kpgarage

GT Owner
Mar 17, 2019
A lot has to do with how many potential sales can be made.

Daniel Carpenter had several million Mustangs owners to sell to.

With so many FGTs becoming Blue Chip museum trading pieces, there aren't many potential owners out there demanding parts.
true to some extent but most of these cars are not museum pieces and are driven. Even now there is a strong need for spare parts which might not ever get used. Nonetheless it is a market and that is where things will head. I presume there are still around 4000 of these out there. Even if half are sequestered away and not driven, many hundreds if not a couple thousand drivers will keep a thirsty market for parts moving.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
true to some extent but most of these cars are not museum pieces and are driven. Even now there is a strong need for spare parts which might not ever get used. Nonetheless it is a market and that is where things will head. I presume there are still around 4000 of these out there. Even if half are sequestered away and not driven, many hundreds if not a couple thousand drivers will keep a thirsty market for parts moving.

I pray that you are right. I am a long haul owner that craves parts.

HNS

GT Owner
Mar 11, 2020
East Coast
I pray that you are right. I am a long haul owner that craves parts.
Sounds like a great business opportunity

Sounds like a great business opportunity
I hope so, too. However, remember that Ford used some very advanced industrial processes to make parts, like the superplastic aluminum shaping. For a small manufacturer to make aluminum fenders or other body parts and make the carbon fiber liners for them would be very difficult and expensive indeed. Even a mold for the frunk lid would be a job to produce.

69b302

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2021
Upstate NY
Many of the 69/70 unique Boss 429 and Boss 302 parts have been reproduced, and those are relatively small markets, so I expect key GT items will be reproduced. I believe some of the body parts are available in carbon fiber replacements already.

Last edited:

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
the problem with that is who would put one off reproduction parts on a 400,000 dollar plus car? Seems to me the car would be devalued