Who will build it?

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
I love the new car. Not as much as the 05/06 as I was heavily involved in that one, but it has a blue oval on it.
Looking at it from my point of view as part of the 05/06 build team, Who is going to build it?

Saleen wanted to build 100% of the 05/06 GT, but Ford demanded that it be finished built by Ford workers, in a Ford facility. Subsequently, Saleen built 75% and we built the rest.

I'd be surprised if the new car will be built entirely in house. Bottom line, it still comes down to dollars and cents. 300-400 units a year, even at huge sale prices, is not feasible to the bean counters. Most assembly plants need to run that many cars in 7-8 hours just to be somewhat profitable. I know it will be a "Halo" car for Ford, but after a few years, that fades away from the general car buying public. (Nuts like us will always be around)

Back to my question. Saleen is Gone. Roush has the means to build part of the car with Ford finishing up. Shelby is a possibility too. They have a huge facility in Vegas, but if they are involved with the GT350R (unknown), as well as their own stuff, logistically, have they got the room?

I know we will find all this out as time goes by. As my granddaughter says, "Waittttt Forrrrr Ittttt"

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Not to be disrespectful, but I hope Shelby has nothing to do with this car. Have you seen the work coming out of that shop?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Not to be disrespectful, but I hope Shelby has nothing to do with this car. Have you seen the work coming out of that shop?

+1

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Outsource every major sub-assembly, TT Eco from racing program, and final finishing by small team, maybe Ford racing manages

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
6 now in production in Canada Eh :)

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
6 now in production in Canada Eh :)

need to see the pictures! Eh!

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX

+1

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I thought Multimatic was going to build these cars? Or was that just the race cars?

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Canada -- Magna ....eh :)

AJB ANDY

stephen_becker

Permanent Vacation
Jan 26, 2006
atlanta, ga & charleston, sc

It will NOT be Shelby/SAI

Nor will it be Shelby/SAI doing the GT 350 or the GT 350R

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I thought Multimatic was going to build these cars? Or was that just the race cars?

race cars to come from N.C.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Since it's a race car first it would make sense for initial assembly to be done <wherever>, and then the civilian additions (e.g., seats with airbags, etc) done at Ford.

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
An entirely new car. In a one year development cycle time?

I am guessing it is a new body skin. On an existing carbon platform? (Think about it)

Hope I am wrong. But how could it be a 2016 model?

Any details about the Engine yet? Hope it is a version of a main stream Ford power plant!

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
"Will be built in purpose built facility"

W. Ford interview