Whipple first impressions

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I got my car back from Heffner Friday and drove it to work on Saturday but today was the first real chance I had to give it a shakedown run. 732 HP and 664 torque. I took the beast out today with the wife to put some miles on it and get reacquainted with the traction limits. I had gathered from some of you that already had the Whipple that a much lighter right foot was required now. You were right.

At average driving speeds and RPMs there's really no difference in the stock car and the Whippleized one. Very controllable and smooth, idles nicely, sounds about the same, and throttle feel hasn't changed. But once the RPMs start building, say 4000 plus, you start to realize what an extra 200 horses can do for you (or TO you if you're not careful). It seems to gain RPMs quicker and makes a much more FEROCIOUS noise through the Accufab X-pipe. The car stays very solidly planted but you can feel what almost seems like chassis flex as you shift gears and nail it again. My wife thinks the tires were breaking loose at each shift but in the higher gears it felt more like the engine was torqueing sideways. Maybe some of you more experienced racer types can comment on this. All I know is that this baby never quits pulling hard until it hits redline. I thought the stock car pulled hard but this one is amazing. I showed my wife what 150 felt like REAL quick.

On the low end of things, tread lightly. Never nail this thing in a turn until you're straightened out and then be ready to control the tail end cause it's gonna break loose. Once you know this, you can have a lot of fun getting a little drift out of any corner you want to. Wifey started getting mad of course so I'll have to practice that later.

As luck would have it, I just happened to line up at a red light with a V-Rod who wanted to play and had the first good street race I've felt comfortable with. No traffic and wide open road, just perfect conditions. From a rolling 30 MPH start I just blew him away. He and I were both impressed.

Overall, I haven't found any drawbacks and am very happy with the results. I can break the tires loose at will but everyday driveability is still great. The jewel factor is just a bonus.

My advice...skip the pulley and go straight to the Whipple. Don't try to convince anybody that the pulley is more "bang for the buck" or the Whipple is "too much money" either. If you can afford this car, you can afford this upgrade.

The only reason to pass on this upgrade is if you're going to blast right past it and go twin turbo!!:cheers

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Keith,

Glad you are enjoying the new found Whippleized performance.

Stay safe; I know you will.

Fred

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Thanks Fred,

Might see you at the Texas Mile. I'm waiting to see what the weather does.

Keith

BlackStorm

Sep 7, 2006
Houston, TX
Fantastic! I bet it felt like a new animal after the new SC was put on. Congrats on the new power!:cheers

I can't wait to get a whipple as well...but it'll be for the L (cause I don't have my FGT yet:wink)

MG0427

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 20, 2006
Central Florida
Makes me want to pull the trigger, Good luck and enjoy safely.

MG

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
Pics are required and would be appreciated!

Great write up!

MG0427

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 20, 2006
Central Florida
Pics would be great!!!!

MG

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
whats the lowest speed or gear it will get traction in if you go WOT?

Im considering the Whipple but after having a 800+rwhp Z06, I no longer want a dyno queen. It was really frustrating not having traction below 100mph.

oh and I forgot to say congratulions

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Great comments, I agree, welcome to the CluB:lol

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
You will not have traction below 100 mph if you stab the throttle in either 1st or 2nd gear. Pedal modulation, allows it to become manageable.

With the increased hp the gearing actually feel much different. Stock, it seemed like the car was in 1st gear forever. With the power levels we're taking about, you better be ready to shift right now.

04mach1

Jan 2, 2007
Small town ohio
You will suprise more then a few litre bikes and pull on 600's with your new found power. Enjoy the car and make some videos.

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
Welcome,to Whippleville

Be real carefull,of cool nights.She will bite you.even if you are the one who
feeds her.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
You will not have traction below 100 mph if you stab the throttle in either 1st or 2nd gear. Pedal modulation, allows it to become manageable.

With the increased hp the gearing actually feel much different. Stock, it seemed like the car was in 1st gear forever. With the power levels we're taking about, you better be ready to shift right now.

Sorry to be argumentative, but I have the package to be tractable. Have you driven a GT with a Whipple? I find it perfectly manageable, but then again, have been driving high horsepower vehicles all my adult life.

Heffner Performance

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Feb 22, 2006
Keith,

I am pleased to hear that you are happy with your car. It was a pleasure dealing with you. Again, please don't hesitate to call if you have any questions. Thanks again and be careful.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
don't overlook the tip about not stepping on gas until your car and steering wheel are both pointing straight ahead. Could be the longest 3 seconds you ever spend.

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
Man, y'all are making me want to get a whipple now...

Congrats on the upgrade.

mardyn

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Thanks for your comments and observations.

While I have found violent horsepower to be a welcome benefit from the Whipple, I find the power delivery to also be very linear; the Whipple creates more usable power at all levels. One of the most obvious differences I noticed driving a stock GT and mine back-to-back is that the Whipple responds to even the slightest nudge of the throttle, even at lower revs.

It's like the whole GT experience is just that much more amazing -- like hearing your favorite song on the stereo, and then listening to it live; same song, different experience. :wink

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Nice write-up. I'll have to drive one myself to compare having been in all the pulley, KB HCD kit, and TT setups.

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
Are you kidding

Bony,Ive had 4 vipers two now with 1200 hp.Im just say be careful of cold or
cool temps.I can get a 1000 hp car to hook up with the best of them.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
My advice...skip the pulley and go straight to the Whipple. Don't try to convince anybody that the pulley is more "bang for the buck" or the Whipple is "too much money" either. If you can afford this car, you can afford this upgrade.

I just have the 2.7 pulley and it is wicked. I would kill myself with more power. Just the pulley's added boost and I can absolutely smoke my tires at 80mph. That's nuts.

Congrats on your new rocketship.

Be real carefull,of cool nights.She will bite you.even if you are the one who feeds her.

Dead on... cool tire = bad traction and cool air = more power. That's a bad combo. I was lucky that nobody was around when I found that out. It was a very scary 3 seconds.