Which is a better long term investment 05/06

boss302.gary

GT Owner
Apr 13, 2006
I am new to this forum and would appreciate your opinion on which GT to keep. I was suprised to get a second allocation after being told we would only receive one.(nice problem to have!) I origionally received a White with Blue stripes loaded 05 that I intended to keep but after receiving the 06 Blue with White stripes, also loaded, I would be happy keeping either one. I'd love to keep both but I have a wife and she dosen't think I need two. (she wins!) My question is: Which will be a better investment down the road.I intend to drive the one I keep. Thanks for any advice.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
The one that makes you smile the most! :biggrin
While there are a few exceptions, cars are horrible investments.
If you need an answer, i believe the newer ones will have higher resale value for at least the next 10 years, while the 05's will be more sought after later on down the road.
I have a White w/ Blue Strips myself, and love that car to death.
I think the blue would be more rare. If I am not mistaken, the Whites are the second most popular, next to Red.

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Keep the color you like the most. The '05's and '06's are identical, even in price after July 1, 2005. Condition and mileage will impact future value more than model year.

GTx

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2006
Mansfield, Texas
Forget the TT and the GT. Forget the GT because you already own one and can experiece it whenever you want. Take the other 132k and invest it in the slew of hot iron comming from detroit over the next 24 months. shelby GR1 looks cool; new Camero (rumors of a 427 model abound), new Challenger or the new Firepower. As a matter of fact you could take the same $$ and own one of each!!

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
Wrong thread GTx...

Boss302: Keep the 06...rarer color, better year. The only "investment grade" Ford GT's are the ones built in 2004 and the final VIN # allocation...supposedly going to a certain dealer in Michigan :ack

neilhellr

GT Owner
Oct 14, 2005
Central IL
Gary,
My opinion is that the 05 would be a better collector piece and assuming you are who I think you are, you have already driven the white 05, so keep it and enjoy it! This is a great Forum, enjoy it!

-Neil
Heritage 0009

boss302.gary

GT Owner
Apr 13, 2006
Thanks for all the input. I think I will keep the White 05. Anyone interested in the the Blue 06 at MSRP please contact me. Thanks. Gary $166,945.

neilhellr

GT Owner
Oct 14, 2005
Central IL
This has to be Gary from Kentucky, glad to see you found the forum!

-Neil Heller

neilhellr

GT Owner
Oct 14, 2005
Central IL
Also Gary,
You should sign up for the rally in Wixom for the end of the production of the GT in August (9-13). We'll be there. Supposed to be a couple hundred GT's from across the country. You can check out the information at the top of the site and there is an entry form there. If you're interested, you need to sign up quickly though as last I heard there were very few spots left....

-Neil Heller

boss302.gary

GT Owner
Apr 13, 2006
Thanks Neil

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
I hate to be a contraian but...I beleive that the 05's got tainted by the recalls and that people will buy the 06's for that reason alone. It remains to be seen what colors will hold up best for re-sale. I bought a 06 black for the reasons stated above, although. I haVe no intention to ever my car so it's a mute point.

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
The recalls affected fewer than 500 cars, and one of the recalls (#003) recently sold for $530,000 at Barrett-Jackson.

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
I realize that the recall affected a few hundred cars, look at the price difference between the 05's and 06's on Ebay, it's large. I think it's more of ann issue of psyhcology then reality, the cars are virtually identical. As far as the car, #003 being sold for $530,000 at BJ... bully for him, what's your point? That someone overpaid for a low serial numbered car and now the 05's will be worth more money.? Don't think so. Most owners bought these cars to drive and if the resale holds up, great. We'll know in a few years.

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
Cats outta da bag (sort of speak) So here it is. I own the white w/blue stripes and I might be the only one that looked at this purchase as an investment. I probably had to look at it that way so that I could rationalize the purchase, which was a huge purchase for me.... believe me!!! So I asked around... we all did alot of research I'm sure.... The one thing that kept being repeated was if you're treating it as a collector... get the 1st year.... that is all I kept hearing.... Didn't learn anything about the color.. just got the color I liked best. No ofense to those other whimppy colors :eek Just kidding :rofl
I was even told to take off the rims with tires and store them properly and than replace with something different for use obviously. So there is my .02 about it

I stole that ".02" from someone here on the forum. thanks

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
Ask around of the guys who had the same dilema when the original Vipers came out and you'll see their justifications...and what their vaule is of the car us a collector car.

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
Speaking of Vipers, the first year ('92) Viper, with low mileage, is more collectable and valuable than a '93, '94 or '95...

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
I tend to agree the 06 for the next 10 years or so will be worth more money, 20 or 30 years from now they will probably be the same. I think the 05 Recall tainted some people towards the 05's and a local dealer here told that some people just won't buy the 05. But in the long run there the same car only 4,000 built so its anybody's guess, I am glad I waited and bought a 06.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Naw, you guys just don't get it. RED/WHITE is THE collectable, regardless of year. Sorry to burst your bubbles.

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
fjpikul said:
Naw, you guys just don't get it. RED/WHITE is THE collectable, regardless of year. Sorry to burst your bubbles.

Ya, quicksilver metallic is way too common a color :lol

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Cover your bets, get an '05 and an '06.