Which GT to buy?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Quick update on my search.. I’m having a hard time finding anything below 400k, except cars with more miles. Is there a downside in a buying a 2005 with 15k miles annd multiple owners? Are there early vs later ‘05 VINs that one should be aware of that might be better examples? For example did all the 2005 GTs have issues with the suspension and/or airbags?

18 years in, one owner cars are getting rarer and rarer. Original owners that still have them are in for the long haul... And the "magic" threshold that was 5K miles also needs to be extended. 10K or 15K is still low for a 18 year old car.

Reactions: SYCO GT and Nafod

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
Good luck with your search. As others have said, you really can't go wrong with any of them. Just make sure you get the upgraded power steering hose from me, or Rich Brooks at the GT garage. Keep us in the loop as to your final pick. Welcome to the fold.

Reactions: Johntpr

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Quick update on my search.. I’m having a hard time finding anything below 400k, except cars with more miles. Is there a downside in a buying a 2005 with 15k miles annd multiple owners? Are there early vs later ‘05 VINs that one should be aware of that might be better examples? For example did all the 2005 GTs have issues with the suspension and/or airbags?
Why dont you go for the Porsche Wichita one for 415k probably negotiable and only 1800 miles. Negotiate down to 410k or sth.

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
Some of the early 05 VIN GTs had rear main seal issue that required repair. As far as suspension not an issue as billet replacement A-arms are a plus visually. Airbag replacement required on all 05 06 GTs. 15K miles not an issue as long as GT was maintained and a PPI will verify condition.

Reactions: HNS

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Some of the early 05 VIN GTs had rear main seal issue that required repair. As far as suspension not an issue as billet replacement A-arms are a plus visually. Airbag replacement required on all 05 06 GTs. 15K miles not an issue as long as GT was maintained and a PPI will verify condition.
How early are we talking? And do you know which vin numbers have billet arms?

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
Dont know answer to first question but my GT is 05 with VIN# just under 900 and has billet A-arms.

Newgt

Mar 14, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
Why dont you go for the Porsche Wichita one for 415k probably negotiable and only 1800 miles. Negotiate down to 410k or sth.
Called them and they won’t budge on price..

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
All of the answers you seek are here on the Forum somewhere. Do a search. Some early cars had a speedy sleeve placement to correct the leak. There has never been a complaint about the fix that I have ever seen or heard of. Axle bolt fix is really old news but has to be documented that is was done. All cars had to have Takata airbags replaced. Must be documented. 04 and 05 had grill screens. No longer available. PpI by one of the accepted experts is a must. There is a new GT on Copart for sale. Had flood damage. Those are the things a PPI will disclose.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
I bought a 05 GT with 56k miles!!! Never had one problem with it. These cars have some quirks such as gauges and other issues but all small for a car that will easily go over 100k miles. Many owners have many many miles on their cars.

Newgt

Mar 14, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
Appreciate your comments.. it is reassuring to know these cars are reliable. That being said , I plan on having Rich go through the car, and address what’s needed.. Besides the reliability, do you guys also expect higher mileage cars to appreciate as compared to their low mileage siblings?

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Don't buy a car as an investment, even a Ford GT. The market can shift quickly and become illiquid. Buy it to drive it (says the guy coming up on 80,000 miles). That said, will higher mileage cars appreciate? I'd say proportionately as much as low mile cars, but at a lower price. Which is why I always encourage people to get higher mileage cars and pay less for them, then drive the snot out of them.

What are you planning to do, marry a supermodel and then save her for the next guy? Not me, I'm gonna wear her ass out!

Reactions: 2112

WhippleGT

GT Owner
May 23, 2022
100_0881.jpg

Nearly 12 years and over 8,000 miles on these headers.

I got good advice to ceramic coat them even though they were stainless.

I would think if MarshalGoldman wants large money, they would detail the engine bay to the 9's. Replace corroded coil covers, ceramic coat the headers, delete the overweight muffler and put in an X-pipe.
Hello 2112,

are these headers still in production? So if, where can I get the headers.

Last edited:

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Don't buy a car as an investment, even a Ford GT. The market can shift quickly and become illiquid. Buy it to drive it (says the guy coming up on 80,000 miles). That said, will higher mileage cars appreciate? I'd say proportionately as much as low mile cars, but at a lower price. Which is why I always encourage people to get higher mileage cars and pay less for them, then drive the snot out of them.

What are you planning to do, marry a supermodel and then save her for the next guy? Not me, I'm gonna wear her ass out!
The rising tide does lift all boats, although the premium for a sub-1,000 mile car will increase in time……but are you a wealthy enough buyer to buy a car you need to treat as art to keep that rising premium?

For a budget buyer, a 30k car with a minor story or two could be maybe a high $2XX or low $3XX car…. That in 2019 may have been sub $200k. So the tide affected those also. It is all a matter of where you want to be money wise and how much you want to drive it.

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
Hello 2112,

are these headers still in production? So if, where can get the headers.
They look like Stainless Works headers - I don't believe they're in production any more.
They were around $2500. We have a used set in stock - less than 2000 miles on them. Recently removed.
These ones would be £1500.

Send me a message if I can help.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Hello 2112,

are these headers still in production? So if, where can get the headers.

They are the FORD RACING headers made by Borla

They look like Stainless Works headers - I don't believe they're in production any more.
They were around $2500. We have a used set in stock - less than 2000 miles on them. Recently removed.
These ones would be £1500.

Send me a message if I can help.

May be a great option here.

Reactions: GT101

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014

Well said.

WhippleGT

GT Owner
May 23, 2022
They are the FORD RACING headers made by Borla

May be a great option here.
Thank you for the info.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I second the preference in getting the color that truly calls out to you. If the particular one you are looking at in the color you prefer is not in the condition you prefer, find another one.

SaleenSchoolofSpeed.jpg

Reactions: digman1

Newgt

Mar 14, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
this is very true. I have compromised previously on color with another car, and regretted it. I like the speed yellow color GT, but don’t see too many for sale. Is that considered a rare color?

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
this is very true. I have compromised previously on color with another car, and regretted it. I like the speed yellow color GT, but don’t see too many for sale. Is that considered a rare color?
Besides the single Sonic Blue, Quick Silver is the rarest at 154, then Speed Yellow at 171.

And of ~100 '05/6 GTs on BaT, 5 were silver and 4 were yellow.