Wheel Lug Nut Caps

slocumda

Nov 18, 2023
Easton, MD
I have searched for discussions involving the decorative caps on our wheel lug nuts that I for the life of me can not remove. I was wanting to check the lug nuts to make sure they were all tightened to 100 ft. lbs. before going to my PCA Chapter's AutoX. Can someone please help me with this. I'm now thinking that however and whenever I get the damn things off they'll be replaced with bright stainless or titanium lug nuts. I'd appreciate your ideas in that regard too please. Thanks so much. All the best, Doug

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
Are referencing the stainless hex caps on the nuts? If so they are not designed to come off, simply put a hex wrench or socket on them.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Or this?

slocumda

Nov 18, 2023
Easton, MD
Are referencing the stainless hex caps on the nuts? If so they are not designed to come off, simply put a hex wrench or socket on them.
Yes they are hex caps that seem to be loose and can be wiggled by hand. I figured they must be removable. I went to the auto store to get a long socket for the lug nuts, they looked it up and gave me a 3/4" socket which did not fit. The one on the wheel measured 13/16". Thank you

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The problem is the stainless covers can be distorted out of shape by a careless tire guy with the wrong size socket. I have had this on my GT and other Ford vehicles. You just have to buy new lugs. Derry (a few posts above) is the expert and his nuts are world famous.

Reactions: white out

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
13/16" socket should get them off, if badly distorted try a 21mm. A flank drive socket would be best if they are very loose. Hope this helps.

Reactions: white out and 2112

slocumda

Nov 18, 2023
Easton, MD
13/16" socket should get them off, if badly distorted try a 21mm. A flank drive socket would be best if they are very loose. Hope this helps.
That definitely helps. Thanks